Subject: I-D Action: draft-briscoe-conex-re-ecn-motiv-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2014 08:55:08 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Re-ECN: A Framework for adding Congestion Accountability to TCP/IP
        Authors         : Bob Briscoe
                          Arnaud Jacquet
                          Toby Moncaster
                          Alan Smith
	Filename        : draft-briscoe-conex-re-ecn-motiv-03.txt
	Pages           : 53
	Date            : 2014-03-11

Abstract:
   This document describes a framework for using a new protocol called
   re-ECN (re-inserted explicit congestion notification), which can be
   deployed incrementally around unmodified routers.  Re-ECN allows
   accurate congestion monitoring throughout the network thus enabling
   the upstream party at any trust boundary in the internetwork to be
   held responsible for the congestion they cause, or allow to be
   caused.  So, networks can introduce straightforward accountability
   for congestion and policing mechanisms for incoming traffic from end-
   customers or from neighbouring network domains.  As well as giving
   the motivation for re-ECN this document also gives examples of
   mechanisms that can use the protocol to ensure data sources respond
   correctly to congestion.  And it describes example mechanisms that
   ensure the dominant selfish strategy of both network domains and end-
   points will be to use the protocol honestly.

   Note concerning Intended Status: If this draft were ever published as
   an RFC it would probably have historic status.  There is limited
   space in the IP header, so re-ECN had to compromise by requiring the
   receiver to be ECN-enabled otherwise the sender could not use re-ECN.
   Re-ECN was a precursor to chartering of the IETF's Congestion
   Exposure (ConEx) working group, but during chartering there were
   still too few ECN receivers enabled, therefore it was decided to
   pursue other compromises in order to fit a similar capability into
   the IP header.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-briscoe-conex-re-ecn-motiv/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-briscoe-conex-re-ecn-motiv-03

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-briscoe-conex-re-ecn-motiv-03

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/