Subject: I-D Action: draft-nichols-tsvwg-codel-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2014 22:42:55 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Controlled Delay Active Queue Management
        Authors         : Kathleen Nichols
                          Van Jacobson
	Filename        : draft-nichols-tsvwg-codel-02.txt
	Pages           : 27
	Date            : 2014-03-03

Abstract:
   The "persistently full buffer" problem has been discussed in the IETF
   community since the early 80's [RFC896].  The IRTF's End-to-End
   Working Group called for the deployment of active queue management
   (AQM) to solve the problem in 1998 [RFC2309].  Despite the awareness,
   the problem gotten worse as by Moore's Law growth in memory density
   fueled an exponential increase in buffer pool size.  Efforts to
   deploy AQM have been frustrated by difficult configuration and
   negative impact on network utilization.  The full buffer problem,
   recently christened "bufferbloat"[TSVBB2011, BB2011] has become
   increasingly important throughout the Internet but particularly at
   the consumer edge.

   To address bufferbloat, this document describes a general framework
   for controlling excessived delay in networks called Controlled Delay
   (CoDel) designed to work in modern networking environments as a part
   of the solution to bufferbloat [CODEL2012].  CoDel consists of an
   estimator, a setpoint, and a control loop and can be deployed in the
   Internet without configuration.  CoDel comprises some major technical
   innovations and has been made available as open source so that the
   framework can be applied by the community to a range of problems.  It
   has been implemented in Linux (and available in the Linux
   distribution) and deployed in some networks at the consumer edge.  In
   addition, the framework has been successfully applied in other ways.

   Note: Code Components extracted from this document must include the
   license as included with the code in Section 5.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-nichols-tsvwg-codel/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-nichols-tsvwg-codel-02

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-nichols-tsvwg-codel-02

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/