Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-l2vpn-vpls-pim-snooping-06.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2014 13:34:22 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Layer 2 Virtual Private Networks Working Group of the IETF.

        Title           : PIM Snooping over VPLS
        Authors         : Olivier Dornon
                          Jayant Kotalwar
                          Venu Hemige
                          Ray Qiu
	Filename        : draft-ietf-l2vpn-vpls-pim-snooping-06.txt
	Pages           : 40
	Date            : 2014-04-29

Abstract:
   This document describes the procedures and recommendations for VPLS
   PEs to facilitate replication of multicast traffic to only certain
   ports (behind which there are interested PIM routers and/or IGMP
   hosts) via PIM Snooping and PIM Proxy.

   With PIM Snooping, PEs passively listen to certain PIM control
   messages to build control and forwarding states while transparently
   flooding those messages.  With PIM Proxy, PEs do not flood PIM Join/
   Prune messages but only generate their own and send out of certain
   ports, based on the control states built from downstream Join/Prune
   messages.  PIM Proxy is required when PIM Join suppression is enabled
   on the CE devices and useful to reduce PIM control traffic in a VPLS
   domain.

   The document also describes PIM Relay, which can be viewed as light-
   weight proxy, where all downstream Join/Prune messages are simply
   forwarded out of certain ports but not flooded to avoid triggering
   PIM Join suppression on CE devices.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-l2vpn-vpls-pim-snooping/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-l2vpn-vpls-pim-snooping-06

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-l2vpn-vpls-pim-snooping-06

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/