Subject: I-D Action: draft-mglt-dnsop-search-list-processing-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2014 13:36:56 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : DNS Search List Processing
        Author          : Daniel Migault
	Filename        : draft-mglt-dnsop-search-list-processing-00.txt
	Pages           : 12
	Date            : 2014-04-11

Abstract:
   Domain Names can be Qualified or Unqualified Domain Names.  Qualified
   Domain Names are resolved over the public DNS infrastructure, whereas
   Unqualified Domain Names are resolved using search lists.  How search
   lists are generated and interpreted varies from one application to
   another and from one operating system to another.  This makes
   Unqualified Domain Name resolution unpredictable, non deterministic,
   and as such neither reliable nor stable.

   In addition, there is neither clear rules to define whether a name is
   a Qualified or an Unqualified Domain Name.  This also contributes in
   making the naming resolution unreliable, as the resolution of a given
   name can result in different responses.

   As a consequence, most resolution systems currently end with a "try
   and error" strategy.  More specifically, according to some system
   dependent heuristics, a resolver initiates an Unqualified (resp.
   Qualified) Domain Name resolution, and, in case of a NXDOMAIN
   response, fails back in a Qualified (resp. Unqualified) Domain Name
   resolution.  Such strategies were acceptable as the probability of
   collision between domains within search list and those published in
   the public DNS infrastructure remains low.  In the context of the
   generalization of Top Level Domain, this assumption is not acceptable
   anymore, resulting in an unreliable and unstable naming resolution.

   This document describes how search list should be generated and
   interpreted.  Then, it describes how resolvers distinguish between
   Qualified and Unqualified Domain Names as well as how to resolve
   them.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-mglt-dnsop-search-list-processing/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-mglt-dnsop-search-list-processing-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/