Subject: I-D Action: draft-kumar-dice-dtls-relay-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2014 08:49:21 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : DTLS Relay for Constrained Environments
        Authors         : Sandeep S. Kumar
                          Sye Loong Keoh
                          Oscar Garcia-Morchon
	Filename        : draft-kumar-dice-dtls-relay-01.txt
	Pages           : 13
	Date            : 2014-04-22

Abstract:
   The 6LoWPAN and CoAP standards defined for resource-constrained
   devices are fast emerging as the de-facto protocols for enabling the
   Internet-of-Things (IoTs).  Security is an important concern in IoTs
   and the DTLS protocol has been chosen as the preferred method for
   securing CoAP messages.  DTLS is a point-to-point protocol relying on
   the IP routing to deliver messages between the client and the server.
   However in some low-power lossy networks (LLNs) with multi-hop, a new
   "joining" device may not be initially IP routable until it is
   authenticated to the network.  This prevents DTLS from being directly
   useful as an authentication and confidentiality protocol during this
   stage, requiring other security protocols to be implemented on the
   device.  These devices being resource-constrained often cannot
   accommodate more than one security protocol in their code memory.  To
   overcome this problem and reuse DTLS, we present a DTLS Relay
   solution for the non-IP routable "joining" device to establish a
   secure DTLS connection with a DTLS server.  Further we present a
   stateful and stateless mode of operation for the DTLS Relay.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-kumar-dice-dtls-relay/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-kumar-dice-dtls-relay-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-kumar-dice-dtls-relay-01

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/