Subject: I-D Action: draft-resnick-on-consensus-07.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2014 09:54:20 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : On Consensus and Humming in the IETF
        Author          : Pete Resnick
	Filename        : draft-resnick-on-consensus-07.txt
	Pages           : 18
	Date            : 2014-04-15

Abstract:
   The IETF has had a long tradition of doing its technical work through
   a consensus process, taking into account the different views among
   IETF participants and coming to (at least rough) consensus on
   technical matters.  In particular, the IETF is supposed not to be run
   by a "majority rule" philosophy.  This is why we engage in rituals
   like "humming" instead of voting.  However, more and more of our
   actions are now indistinguishable from voting, and quite often we are
   letting the majority win the day without consideration of minority
   concerns.  This document explains some features of rough consensus,
   what is not rough consensus, how we have gotten away from it, how we
   might think about it differently, and the things we can do in order
   to really achieve rough consensus.

      Note: This document is quite consciously being put forward as
      Informational.  It does not propose to change any IETF processes
      and is therefore not a BCP.  It is simply a collection of
      principles, hopefully around which the IETF can come to (at least
      rough) consensus.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-resnick-on-consensus/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-resnick-on-consensus-07

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-resnick-on-consensus-07

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/