Subject: I-D Action: draft-kleine-core-coap-endpoint-id-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2014 09:33:28 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : CoAP Endpoint Identification
        Author          : Oliver Kleine
	Filename        : draft-kleine-core-coap-endpoint-id-00.txt
	Pages           : 12
	Date            : 2014-04-02

Abstract:
   The Constrained Application Protocol (CoAP) is an application layer
   protocol for constrained devices (e.g.low power, few memory) and
   networks (e.g. lossy, low bandwidth) which relies on UDP on the
   transport layer.  With CoAP it is often the case, that message
   exchanges need to extend the common request/response pattern, e.g.
   for seperate responses.  This holds, e.g. for CON requests that are
   confirmed by the server with an empty ACK and answered later with a
   seperate response.  According to the CoAP specification the request/
   response matching is realized using a unique pair of server address
   and token per client.

   Due to the mobile nature of some devices. e.g. smartphones, they are
   often assigned new IP addresses because of a network change.  Thus,
   the IP address of a CoAP server might change during an ongoing
   conversion.  This draft proposes a method to assign each
   communication partner with an identifier (endpoint ID) which replaces
   the IP address as (partial) key to relate requests and responses.

   Besides the common seperate responses, the proposed method is also
   useful to handle IP address changes, e.g.  during an ongoing
   observation ([observe]) or a blockwise transfer ([block]).

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-kleine-core-coap-endpoint-id/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-kleine-core-coap-endpoint-id-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/