Subject: I-D Action: draft-zong-vnfpool-problem-statement-05.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 05 May 2014 01:38:10 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Virtualized Network Function (VNF) Pool Problem Statement
        Authors         : Ning Zong
                          Linda Dunbar
                          Melinda Shore
                          Diego Lopez
                          Georgios Karagiannis
	Filename        : draft-zong-vnfpool-problem-statement-05.txt
	Pages           : 13
	Date            : 2014-05-05

Abstract:
   Network functions are traditionally implemented on specialized
   hardware rather than on general purpose servers, but there is a clear
   trend to implement a number of network functions, such as firewall or
   load balancer, as software on virtualized computing platforms.  These
   virtualized functions are called Virtualized Network Functions
   (VNFs), which can be used to build network services.  The use of VNFs
   to build network services introduces additional challenges on
   reliability, such as additional points of failure and the need to
   coordinate various VNFs.

   This document introduces a general idea of VNF Pool to support
   reliable function provision by the VNFs.  We then highlight the
   reliability challenges and issues when using the VNFs to build
   services.  Related IETF works are also briefly described.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-zong-vnfpool-problem-statement/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-zong-vnfpool-problem-statement-05

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-zong-vnfpool-problem-statement-05

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/