Subject: I-D Action: draft-conet-aeon-problem-statement-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 23 May 2014 16:05:56 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Application Enabled Collaborative Networking: Problem Statement and Requirements
        Authors         : Peng Fan
                          Hui Deng
                          Mohamed Boucadair
                          Tirumaleswar Reddy
                          Charles Eckel
	Filename        : draft-conet-aeon-problem-statement-00.txt
	Pages           : 11
	Date            : 2014-05-23

Abstract:
   Identification and treatment of application flows are important to
   many application providers and network operators.  They often rely on
   these capabilities to deploy and/or support a wide range of
   applications.  These applications, and the packet flows they generate
   and consume, may have specific connectivity requirements that can be
   met if made known to the network.  Historically, this functionality
   has been implemented to the extent possible using heuristics, which
   inspect and infer flow characteristics.  Heuristics may be based on
   port ranges, network separation (e.g. subnets or VLANs, Deep Flow
   Inspection (DFI), or Deep Packet Inspection (DPI).  But many
   application flows in current usages are dynamic, adaptive, time-
   bound, encrypted, peer-to-peer, asymmetric, used on multipurpose
   devices, and have different priorities depending on direction of
   flow, user preferences, and other factors.  Any combination of these
   properties renders heuristic based techniques less effective and may
   result in compromises to application security or user privacy.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-conet-aeon-problem-statement/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-conet-aeon-problem-statement-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/