Subject: I-D Action: draft-iab-host-firewalls-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 01 May 2014 17:02:55 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Internet Architecture Board Working Group of the IETF.

        Title           : Reflections On Host Firewalls
        Author          : Dave Thaler
	Filename        : draft-iab-host-firewalls-03.txt
	Pages           : 13
	Date            : 2014-05-01

Abstract:
   In today's Internet, the need for firewalls is generally accepted in
   the industry and indeed firewalls are widely deployed in practice.
   Unlike traditional firewalls that protect network links, host
   firewalls run in end user systems.  Often the result is that software
   may be running and potentially consuming resources, but then
   communication is blocked by a host firewall.  It's taken for granted
   that this end state is either desirable or the best that can be
   achieved in practice, rather than (for example) an end state where
   the relevant software is not running or is running in a way that
   would not result in unwanted communication.  In this document, we
   explore the issues behind these assumptions and provide suggestions
   on improving the architecture going forward.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-iab-host-firewalls/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-iab-host-firewalls-03

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-iab-host-firewalls-03

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/