Subject: I-D Action: draft-manyfolks-gaia-community-networks-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2014 07:17:55 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Community Networks. Definition and taxonomy
        Authors         : Jose Saldana
                          Andres Arcia-Moret
                          Bart Braem
                          Leandro Navarro
                          Ermanno Pietrosemoli
                          Carlos Rey-Moreno
                          Arjuna Sathiaseelan
                          Marco Zennaro
	Filename        : draft-manyfolks-gaia-community-networks-00.txt
	Pages           : 23
	Date            : 2014-06-18

Abstract:
   Several communities have developed initiatives to build large scale,
   self-organized and decentralized community wireless networks that use
   wireless technologies (including long distance) due to the reduced
   cost of using the unlicensed spectrum.  This can be motivated by
   different causes: Sometimes the reluctance, or the impossibility, of
   network operators to provide wired and cellular infrastructures to
   rural/remote areas has motivated the rise of these networks.  Some
   other times, they are built as a complement and an alternative to
   wired Internet access.

   These community wireless networks have self sustainable business
   models that provide more localised communication services as well as
   providing Internet backhaul support through peering agreements with
   traditional network operators who see such community led networks as
   a way to extend their reach to rural/remote areas at lower cost.

   This document defines these networks, summarizes their technological
   characteristics and classifies them, also talking about their socio-
   economic sustainability models.

   There exist other networks, also based on sharing wireless resources
   of the users, but not built upon the initiative of the users
   themselves, nor owned by them.  The characterization of these
   networks is not the objective of this document.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-manyfolks-gaia-community-networks/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-manyfolks-gaia-community-networks-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/