Subject: I-D Action: draft-leeking-actn-problem-statement-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2014 15:58:28 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Problem Statement for Abstraction and Control of Transport Networks
        Authors         : Young Lee
                          Daniel King
                          Mohamed Boucadair
                          Ruiquan Jing
                          Luis Miguel Contreras Murillo
	Filename        : draft-leeking-actn-problem-statement-02.txt
	Pages           : 24
	Date            : 2014-06-03

Abstract:
   Previously transport networks were typically static, lacked
   flexibility, and required long planning times when deploying new
   services. Network Providers and Service Providers have embraced
   technologies that allow separation of data plane and control plane,
   distributed signaling for path setup and protection, and centralized
   path computation for service planning and traffic engineering.
   Although these technologies provide significant benefits, they do
   not meet the growing need for network programmability, automation,
   resource sharing, and service elasticity necessary for meeting
   operator's requirement for their virtual network operation.

   Virtual network operation refers to the creation of a
   virtualized environment allowing operators to view the
   abstraction of the underlying multi-admin, multi-vendor, multi-
   technology networks and to operate, control and manage these
   multiple networks as single virtualized network. Another
   dimension of virtual network operation is associated with use of
   the common core transport network resource by multi-tenant
   service networks as a way of providing a virtualized
   infrastructure to flexibly offer new services and applications.

   The work effort investigating this problem space is known as
   Abstraction and Control of Transport Networks (ACTN). This
   document provides an ACTN problem description, scope of work,
   and outlines the core requirements to facilitate virtual network
   operation.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-leeking-actn-problem-statement/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-leeking-actn-problem-statement-02

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-leeking-actn-problem-statement-02

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/