Subject: I-D Action: draft-perlman-trill-rbridge-multilevel-08.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2014 20:34:39 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Flexible Multilevel TRILL (Transparent Interconnection of Lots of Links)
        Authors         : Radia Perlman
                          Donald Eastlake
                          Anoop Ghanwani
                          Hongjun Zhai
	Filename        : draft-perlman-trill-rbridge-multilevel-08.txt
	Pages           : 28
	Date            : 2014-06-30

Abstract:
   Extending TRILL to multiple levels has one challenge that is not
   addressed by the already-existing capability of IS-IS to have
   multiple levels.  The issue is with TRILL switch nicknames. There
   have been two proposed approaches.  One approach, which we refer to
   as the "unique nickname" approach, gives unique nicknames to all the
   TRILL switches in the multilevel campus, either by having the
   level-1/level-2 border TRILL switches advertise which nicknames are
   not available for assignment in the area, or by partitioning the
   16-bit nickname into an "area" field and a "nickname inside the area"
   field.  The other approach, which we refer to as the "aggregated
   nickname" approach, involves assigning nicknames to the areas, and
   allowing nicknames to be reused in different areas, by having the
   border TRILL switches rewrite the nickname fields when entering or
   leaving an area. Each of those approaches has advantages and
   disadvantages. The design in this document allows a choice of
   approach in each area, allowing the simplicity of the unique nickname
   approach in installations in which there is no danger of running out
   of nicknames, and allowing nickname rewriting to be phased into
   larger installations on a per-area basis.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-perlman-trill-rbridge-multilevel/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-perlman-trill-rbridge-multilevel-08

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-perlman-trill-rbridge-multilevel-08

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/