Subject: I-D Action: draft-rosen-idr-rtc-no-rt-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2014 12:47:00 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Route Target Constrained Distribution of Routes with no Route Targets
        Authors         : Eric C. Rosen
                          Keyur Patel
                          Jeffrey Haas
                          Robert Raszuk
	Filename        : draft-rosen-idr-rtc-no-rt-00.txt
	Pages           : 7
	Date            : 2014-06-16

Abstract:
   BGP routes sometimes carry an "Extended Communities" path attribute.
   An Extended Communities path attribute can contain one or more "Route
   Targets" (RTs).  By means of a procedure known as "RT Constrained
   Distribution" (RTC), a BGP speaker can send BGP UPDATE messages that
   express its interest in a particular set of RTs.  Generally, RTC has
   been applied only to address families whose routes always carry RTs.
   When RTC is applied to such an address family, a BGP speaker
   expressing its interest in a particular set of RTs is indicating that
   it wants to receive all and only the routes of that address family
   that have at least one of the RTs of interest.  However, there are
   scenarios in which the originator of a route chooses not to include
   any RTs at all, assuming that the distribution of a route with no RTs
   at all will be unaffected by RTC.  This has led to interoperability
   problems in the field, where the originator of a route assumes that
   RTC will not affect the distribution of the route, but intermediate
   BGP speakers refuse to distribute that route because it does not
   carry any RT of intrest.  The purpose of this document is to clarify
   the effect of the RTC mechanism on routes that do not have any RTs.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-rosen-idr-rtc-no-rt/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-rosen-idr-rtc-no-rt-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/