Subject: I-D Action: draft-zhang-iot-icn-architecture-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2014 11:56:43 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : ICN based Architecture for IoT
        Authors         : Yanyong Zhang
                          Dipankar Raychadhuri
                          Ravi Ravindran
                          Guoqiang Wang
	Filename        : draft-zhang-iot-icn-architecture-01.txt
	Pages           : 23
	Date            : 2014-06-03

Abstract:
   Internet of Things (IoT) promises to connect billions of objects to
   Internet.  After deploying many stand-alone IoT systems in different
   domains, the current trend is to develop a unified IoT platform so
   that objects can be made accessible to applications across
   organizations and domains.  Towards this goal, quite a few proposals
   have been made to build a unified IoT platform as an overlay on
   today's Internet.  Such an overlay solution, however, is inadequate
   to address the important challenges posed by a unified IoT system,
   especially in terms of mobility, scalability, and communication
   reliability, due to the inherent inefficiencies of the current
   Internet.  To address this problem, we propose to build a unified IoT
   platform based on the Information Centric Network (ICN) architecture,
   which we call ICN-IoT.  ICN-IoT leverages the salient features of
   ICN, and thus provides seamless mobility support, scalability, and
   efficient content and service delivery.

   In this proposal, we first present a few popular IoT scenarios in
   smart homes, smart grid, smart transportation, and smart healthcare.
   Then we identify a list of important requirements with the unified
   IoT architecture that promises to support tens of billions of
   objects.  After discussing the weaknesses of the current overlay-
   based IoT solution, we propose an ICN-based solution, ICN-IoT, which
   can sufficiently satisfy these requirements.  We present an example
   ICN-IoT architecture and discuss how it supports efficient data
   discovery, data processing and data distribution.  Finally, we show
   that ICN-IoT efficiently supports context- based scenarios, which are
   very common for many IoT applications.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-zhang-iot-icn-architecture/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-zhang-iot-icn-architecture-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-zhang-iot-icn-architecture-01

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/