Subject: I-D Action: draft-ww-opsawg-multi-layer-oam-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2014 04:57:41 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Problem Statement and Architecture for Transport Independent OAM in the multiple layer network
        Authors         : Qin Wu
                          Mishael Wexler
                          Pradeep Jain
	Filename        : draft-ww-opsawg-multi-layer-oam-00.txt
	Pages           : 12
	Date            : 2014-06-05

Abstract:
   Operations, Administration, and Maintenance (OAM) mechanisms
   [RFC6291] are basic building blocks for every communication layer and
   technology.  The current practice is that many technologies and
   layers have their own OAM protocols.  In the current situation there
   is a little or no re-use of software and hardware in the existing OAM
   protocols.  Vendors and operators waste a lot through the whole OAM
   life-cycle when a new technology is introduced.  Integration of OAM
   across multiple technologies is extremely difficult.  In many cases
   it is desirable to have a generic OAM to cover heterogeneous
   networking technologies.  An example to this generic approach is the
   Bidirectional Forwarding Detection [BFD] mechanism that offers a way
   to monitor, troubleshoot and maintain the network and services in
   support multi-layer OAM independent of media, data protocols, and
   routing protocols.  Generic OAM tools can be deployed over various
   encapsulating protocols, and in various medium types.

   An example of an environment in which a generic and integrated OAM
   protocol would be valuable is Service Function Chaining.  A Service
   Function Chaining is composed by series of service Functions, that
   can act in different layers but providing an end-to-end chain or path
   from a source to destination in a given order [I.D-ietf-sfc-problem-
   statement].  In service function chaining environment it is necessary
   to provide end to end OAM across certain or all entities and
   involving many layers.  OAM information should be exchanged between
   service functions in different layers while using various
   encapsulating protocols.  In some cases OAM should cross different
   administration and/or maintenance domains.

   This document sets out the problem statement and architecture for the
   Generic OAM in the Service Layer Routing.  This document will cover
   at least the basic OAM functions and information such as Connectivity
   Verification (CV), Path Verification and Continuity Checks (CC),Path
   Discovery / Fault Localization and Performance Monitoring necessary
   to monitor and maintain the network.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ww-opsawg-multi-layer-oam/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ww-opsawg-multi-layer-oam-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/