Subject: I-D Action: draft-bhargavan-tls-session-hash-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2014 08:50:57 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Transport Layer Security (TLS) Session Hash and Extended Master Secret Extension
        Authors         : Karthikeyan Bhargavan
                          Antoine Delignat-Lavaud
                          Alfredo Pironti
                          Adam Langley
                          Marsh Ray
	Filename        : draft-bhargavan-tls-session-hash-01.txt
	Pages           : 8
	Date            : 2014-07-21

Abstract:
   The Transport Layer Security (TLS) master secret is not
   cryptographically bound to important session parameters such as the
   client and server identities.  Consequently, it is possible for an
   active attacker to set up two sessions, one with a client and another
   with a server such that the master secrets on the two sessions are
   the same.  Thereafter, any mechanism that relies on the master secret
   for authentication, including renegotiation after session resumption,
   becomes vulnerable to a man-in-the-middle attack, where the attacker
   can simply forward messages back and forth between the client and
   server.  This specification defines a TLS extension that contextually
   binds the master secret to a log of the full handshake that computes
   it, thus preventing such attacks.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-bhargavan-tls-session-hash/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-bhargavan-tls-session-hash-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-bhargavan-tls-session-hash-01

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/