Subject: I-D Action: draft-kiesel-alto-xdom-disc-alg-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2014 09:33:22 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Application Layer Traffic Optimization (ALTO) Cross-Domain Server Discovery - Experimental Algorithm Specification
        Authors         : Sebastian Kiesel
                          Kilian Krause
                          Martin Stiemerling
	Filename        : draft-kiesel-alto-xdom-disc-alg-00.txt
	Pages           : 19
	Date            : 2014-07-04

Abstract:
   The goal of Application-Layer Traffic Optimization (ALTO) is to
   provide guidance to applications that have to select one or several
   hosts from a set of candidates capable of providing a desired
   resource.  ALTO is realized by a client-server protocol.  Before an
   ALTO client can ask for guidance it needs to discover one or more
   ALTO servers that can provide suitable guidance.

   This document contains a strawman proposal for an ALTO Cross-Domain
   Server Discovery procedure (also known as Third-Party Discovery).
   Technically, the algorithm specified in this document takes one
   IP address and a U-NAPTR Service Parameter (i.e., "ALTO:http" or
   "ALTO:https") as parameters.  It performs several DNS lookups (for
   U-NAPTR and SOA resource records) and returns one or more URI(s) of
   information resources related to that IP address.

   The functionality has been validated in a lab environment.  However,
   the feasibility and possible side-effects of Internet-wide
   "production use" are not yet understood.  The purpose of this
   document is to foster further discussion within the ALTO working
   group.  Readers of this document should exercise caution in
   evaluating its value for implementation and deployment.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-kiesel-alto-xdom-disc-alg/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-kiesel-alto-xdom-disc-alg-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/