Subject: I-D Action: draft-litkowski-idr-bgp-timestamp-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2014 00:24:08 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Timestamp support for BGP paths
        Authors         : Stephane Litkowski
                          Keyur Patel
                          Jeff Haas
	Filename        : draft-litkowski-idr-bgp-timestamp-00.txt
	Pages           : 15
	Date            : 2014-07-03

Abstract:
   BGP is more and more used to transport routing information for
   critical services.  Some BGP updates may be critical to be received
   as fast as possible : for example, in a layer 3 VPN scenario where a
   dual-attached site is loosing primary connection, the BGP withdraw
   message should be propagated as fast as possible to restore the
   service.  The same criticity exists for other address-families like
   multicast VPNs where "join" messages should also be propagated very
   fast.

   Experience of service providers shows that BGP path propagation time
   may vary depending on network conditions (especially load of BGP
   speaker on the path) and too long propagation time are affecting
   customer service.

   It is important for service providers to keep track of BGP updates
   propagation time to monitor quality of service for the customers.  It
   is also important to be able to identify BGP Speakers that are
   slowing down the propagation.

   This document presents a solution to transport timestamps of a BGP
   path.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-litkowski-idr-bgp-timestamp/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-litkowski-idr-bgp-timestamp-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/