Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-opsawg-capwap-hybridmac-05.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2014 15:16:25 -0700

A new Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Operations and Management Area Working Group Working Group of the IETF.

    Title         : IEEE 802.11 MAC Profile for CAPWAP
    Author(s)     : C. Shao, et al
    Filename      : draft-ietf-opsawg-capwap-hybridmac
    Pages         : 11 
    Date          : 2014-07-16 
    
   The CAPWAP protocol defines two entities: a Wireless Transmission
   Point (WTP) and an Access Controller (AC).  The CAPWAP protocol
   binding for IEEE 802.11 defines two MAC (Medium Access Control) modes
   for IEEE 802.11 WTP: Split and Local MAC, and describes the required
   functionality split between the WTP and AC for each mode.  However,
   in the split MAC mode, the partitioning of encryption/decryption
   functions are not been clearly clearly defined.  In the Split MAC
   mode description, IEEE 802.11 encryption is specified as located in
   either at the AC or the WTP, with no clear way for the AC to inform
   the WTP of where the encryption functionality should be located.
   This lack of specification leads to interoperability issues,
   especially when the AC and WTP come from different vendors.  To
   prevent interoperability issues, this specification defines an IEEE
   802.11 MAC profile message element in which each profile specifies an
   unambiguous division of encryption functionality between the WTP and
   AC.  The IEEE 802.11 MAC profile is used as follows: the WTP informs
   the AC of the supported profiles during the discovery or join process
   and the AC configures the WTP with one of the supported profiles when
   configuring the WLAN.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
https://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-opsawg-capwap-hybridmac-05.txt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.