Subject: I-D Action: draft-hertoghs-lisp-mobility-use-cases-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2014 07:51:21 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : End Host Mobility Use Cases for LISP
        Authors         : Yves Hertoghs
                          Marc Binderberger
	Filename        : draft-hertoghs-lisp-mobility-use-cases-01.txt
	Pages           : 16
	Date            : 2014-07-21

Abstract:
   This memo proposes use cases for LISP in the area of end Host
   mobility.  The applicability of end host mobility can be found in
   data centers, where Virtual Machines (VM's) can be moved freely from
   one physical server onto another physical server, independent of
   location, without having to change the IP/MAC-addresses inside those
   VMs, nor impacting traffic flows to and from those VMs.  Wireless end
   hosts are another area of applicability.  Although this draft will
   not address wireless end host mobility, most of the same principles
   apply.

   Traditionally L2 extension technologies have been used to handle
   mobility events, but they could lead to suboptimal routing of traffic
   to and from the end host after the mobility event, as well as created
   big broadcast domains.  This memo describes how LISP solves the
   traffic optimization issues caused by a mobility event of an end host
   like a Virtual Machine, as it decouples the identity of the end host
   from its location, such that traffic will always be forwarded to the
   correct location.  More-over the LISP control plane can be leveraged
   to discover and distribute the reachability information of end hosts
   such that end to end broadcast domains, and their associated
   problems, are no longer needed.

   Various sub-use cases will be looked at in this draft, depending on
   whether mobility is achieved at L2 (using MAC-addresses as EID) or at
   L3 (using IP addresses as EIDs), and whether subnets are L2 extended
   across LISP sites or not.  This memo also describes how to handle
   mobility in the case where the default gateway of the end host is not
   capable of performing the LISP map-and-encap function, while the LISP
   xTR function is located one or more L3 hops away from the default
   gateway.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-hertoghs-lisp-mobility-use-cases/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-hertoghs-lisp-mobility-use-cases-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-hertoghs-lisp-mobility-use-cases-01

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/