Subject: I-D Action: draft-haleplidis-sdnrg-layer-terminology-06.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2014 06:16:53 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : SDN Layers and Architecture Terminology
        Authors         : Evangelos Haleplidis
                          Kostas Pentikousis
                          Spyros Denazis
                          Jamal Hadi Salim
                          David Meyer
                          Odysseas Koufopavlou
	Filename        : draft-haleplidis-sdnrg-layer-terminology-06.txt
	Pages           : 31
	Date            : 2014-07-22

Abstract:
   Software-Defined Networking (SDN) can be defined as a new approach
   for network programmability.  Network programmability in this context
   refers to the capacity to initialize, control, change, and manage
   network behavior dynamically via open interfaces as opposed to
   relying on closed-box solutions and proprietary interfaces.  SDN
   emphasizes the role of software in running networks through the
   introduction of an abstraction for the data forwarding plane and, by
   doing so, separates it from the control plane.  This separation
   allows faster innovation cycles at both planes as experience has
   already shown.  However, there is increasing confusion as to what
   exactly SDN is, what is the layer structure in an SDN architecture
   and how do layers interface with each other.  This document aims to
   answer these questions and provide a concise reference document for
   SDNRG, in particular, and the SDN community, in general, based on
   relevant peer-reviewed literature and documents in the RFC series.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-haleplidis-sdnrg-layer-terminology/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-haleplidis-sdnrg-layer-terminology-06

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-haleplidis-sdnrg-layer-terminology-06

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/