Subject: I-D Action: draft-mattsson-uta-tls-overhead-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2014 14:32:39 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Overview and Analysis of Overhead Caused by TLS
        Author          : John Mattsson
	Filename        : draft-mattsson-uta-tls-overhead-00.txt
	Pages           : 8
	Date            : 2014-07-04

Abstract:
   A common argument against the use of TLS is that it adds overhead.
   In this document we illustrate in detail how much (or little)
   processing, latency, and traffic overhead TLS adds.  Transition to
   more secure cipher suites (TLS 1.2 with AES-GCM or ChaCha20-Poly1305)
   actually reduces both traffic and processing overhead.  AES-GCM
   combines security, low traffic overhead, and great performance on
   modern hardware.  On platforms without hardware support for AES-GCM,
   ChaCha20-Poly1305 gives the same benefits.  For everything but very
   short connections, TLS is not inducing any major traffic overhead
   (nor CPU or memory overhead).

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-mattsson-uta-tls-overhead/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-mattsson-uta-tls-overhead-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/