Subject: I-D Action: draft-dukhovni-opportunistic-security-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2014 00:27:28 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Opportunistic Security: Some Protection Most of the Time
        Author          : Viktor Dukhovni
	Filename        : draft-dukhovni-opportunistic-security-03.txt
	Pages           : 10
	Date            : 2014-08-15

Abstract:
   This memo introduces the "Opportunistic Security" (OS) protocol
   design pattern.  Protocol designs based on OS depart from the
   established practice of employing cryptographic protection against
   both passive and active attacks, or no protection at all.  As a
   result, with OS at least some cryptographic protection should be
   provided most of the time.  For example, the majority of Internet
   SMTP traffic is now opportunistically encrypted.  OS designs remove
   barriers to the widespread use of encryption on the Internet.  The
   actual protection provided by opportunistic security depends on the
   advertised security capabilities of the communicating peers.

   This document promotes designs in which cryptographic protection
   against both passive and active attacks can be rolled out
   incrementally as new systems are deployed, without creating barriers
   to communication.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-dukhovni-opportunistic-security/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-dukhovni-opportunistic-security-03

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-dukhovni-opportunistic-security-03

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/