Subject: I-D Action: draft-gont-6man-deprecate-atomfrag-generation-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2014 07:47:03 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Deprecating the Generation of IPv6 Atomic Fragments
        Authors         : Fernando Gont
                          Will(Shucheng) Liu
	Filename        : draft-gont-6man-deprecate-atomfrag-generation-00.txt
	Pages           : 7
	Date            : 2014-08-19

Abstract:
   The core IPv6 specification requires that when a host receives an
   ICMPv6 "Packet Too Big" message reporting a "Next-Hop MTU" smaller
   than 1280, the host includes a Fragment Header in all subsequent
   packets sent to that destination, without reducing the assumed Path-
   MTU.  The simplicity with which ICMPv6 "Packet Too Big" messages can
   be forged, coupled with the widespread filtering of IPv6 fragments,
   results in an attack vector that can be leveraged for Denial of
   Service purposes.  This document briefly discusses the aforementioned
   attack vector, and formally deprecates the generation of IPv6 atomic
   fragments, such that the aforementioned attack vector is eliminated.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-gont-6man-deprecate-atomfrag-generation/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-gont-6man-deprecate-atomfrag-generation-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/