Subject: I-D Action: draft-irtf-sdnrg-layer-terminology-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2014 09:11:22 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Software Defined Networking Research Group Working Group of the IETF.

        Title           : SDN Layers and Architecture Terminology
        Authors         : Evangelos Haleplidis
                          Kostas Pentikousis
                          Spyros Denazis
                          Jamal Hadi Salim
                          David Meyer
                          Odysseas Koufopavlou
	Filename        : draft-irtf-sdnrg-layer-terminology-00.txt
	Pages           : 33
	Date            : 2014-09-10

Abstract:
   Software-Defined Networking (SDN) can be defined as a new approach
   for network programmability.  Network programmability in this context
   refers to the capacity to initialize, control, change, and manage
   network behavior dynamically via open interfaces as opposed to
   relying on closed-box solutions and their associated proprietary
   interfaces.  SDN emphasizes the role of software in running networks
   through the introduction of an abstraction for the data forwarding
   plane and, by doing so, separates it from the control plane.  This
   separation allows faster innovation cycles at both planes as
   experience has already shown.  However, there is increasing confusion
   as to what exactly SDN is, what is the layer structure in an SDN
   architecture and how do layers interface with each other.  This
   document addresses these questions and provides a concise reference
   for SDNRG and the wider SDN community based on relevant peer-reviewed
   literature, the RFC series, and relevant documents by other standards
   organizations.

   This document is a product of the IRTF Software-Defined Networking
   Research Group (SDNRG)

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-irtf-sdnrg-layer-terminology/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-irtf-sdnrg-layer-terminology-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/