Subject: I-D Action: draft-edprop-opsawg-multi-layer-oam-ps-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2014 06:07:02 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Problem Statement for Layer and Technology Independent OAM in a Multi- Layer Environment
        Authors         : Qin Wu
                          Mishael Wexler
                          T. Taylor
	Filename        : draft-edprop-opsawg-multi-layer-oam-ps-01.txt
	Pages           : 16
	Date            : 2014-09-16

Abstract:
   Operations, Administration, and Maintenance (OAM) mechanisms are
   critical building blocks in network operations.  They used for
   service fulfillment assurance, and for service diagnosis,
   troubleshooting, and repair.  The current practice is that many
   technologies rely on their own OAM protocols and procedures that are
   exclusive to a given layer.

   At present, there is little consolidation of OAM in the management
   plane or well-documented inter-layer OAM operation.  Vendors and
   operators dedicate significant resources and effort through the whole
   OAM life-cycle each time a new technology is introduced.  This is
   exacerbated when dealing with integration of OAM into overlay
   networks, which require better OAM visibility since there is no
   method to exchange OAM information between overlay and underlay.

   This document analyzes the problem space for multi-layer OAM in the
   management plane with a focus on layer and technology independent OAM
   management considerations.  It concludes that an attempt to define an
   architecture for consolidated management should be undertaken, and if
   this attempt satisfies key objectives, a gap analysis and a program
   of standardization should follow.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-edprop-opsawg-multi-layer-oam-ps/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-edprop-opsawg-multi-layer-oam-ps-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-edprop-opsawg-multi-layer-oam-ps-01

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/