Subject: I-D Action: draft-kleine-core-coap-endpoint-id-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2014 07:07:26 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : CoAP Endpoint Identification
        Author          : Oliver Kleine
	Filename        : draft-kleine-core-coap-endpoint-id-01.txt
	Pages           : 12
	Date            : 2014-09-12

Abstract:
   The Constrained Application Protocol (CoAP) (see [RFC7252]), is an
   application layer protocol for constrained devices (e.g.low power,
   few memory) and networks (e.g. lossy, low bandwidth) which relies on
   UDP on the transport layer.  With CoAP it is often the case, that
   message exchanges need to extend the common request/response pattern,
   e.g.  for seperate responses.  This holds, e.g. for CON requests that
   are confirmed by the server with an empty ACK and answered later with
   a seperate response.  According to the CoAP specification the
   request/response matching is realized using a unique pair of the
   servers IP address and a token defined by the client.

   Due to the mobile nature of some devices. e.g. smartphones, they are
   often assigned new IP addresses because of a network change.  Thus,
   the IP address of a CoAP server might change during an ongoing
   conversation.  This draft proposes a method to assign each
   communication partner with an identifier (endpoint ID) which replaces
   the IP address as (partial) key to relate requests and responses.

   Besides the common seperate responses, the proposed method is also
   useful to handle IP address changes, e.g.  during an ongoing
   observation ([observe]) or a blockwise transfer ([block]).

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-kleine-core-coap-endpoint-id/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-kleine-core-coap-endpoint-id-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-kleine-core-coap-endpoint-id-01

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/