Subject: I-D Action: draft-irtf-sdnrg-layer-terminology-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2014 04:19:12 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Software Defined Networking Research Group Working Group of the IETF.

        Title           : SDN Layers and Architecture Terminology
        Authors         : Evangelos Haleplidis
                          Kostas Pentikousis
                          Spyros Denazis
                          Jamal Hadi Salim
                          David Meyer
                          Odysseas Koufopavlou
	Filename        : draft-irtf-sdnrg-layer-terminology-01.txt
	Pages           : 31
	Date            : 2014-09-18

Abstract:
   Software-Defined Networking (SDN) refers to a new approach for
   network programmability, that is, the capacity to initialize,
   control, change, and manage network behavior dynamically via open
   interfaces as opposed to relying on closed-box solutions and their
   associated proprietary interfaces.  SDN emphasizes the role of
   software in running networks through the introduction of an
   abstraction for the data forwarding plane and, by doing so, separates
   it from the control plane.  This separation allows faster innovation
   cycles at both planes as experience has already shown.  However,
   there is increasing confusion as to what exactly SDN is, what is the
   layer structure in an SDN architecture and how do layers interface
   with each other.  This document, a product of the IRTF Software-
   Defined Networking Research Group (SDNRG), addresses these questions
   and provides a concise reference for the SDN research community based
   on relevant peer-reviewed literature, the RFC series, and relevant
   documents by other standards organizations.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-irtf-sdnrg-layer-terminology/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-irtf-sdnrg-layer-terminology-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-irtf-sdnrg-layer-terminology-01

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/