Subject: I-D Action: draft-zhang-iot-icn-challenges-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2014 09:11:59 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : ICN based Architecture for IoT - Requirements and Challenges
        Authors         : Yanyong Zhang
                          Dipankar Raychadhuri
                          Luigi Alfredo Grieco
                          Emmanuel Baccelli
                          Jeff Burke
                          Ravishankar Ravindran
                          Guoqiang Wang
	Filename        : draft-zhang-iot-icn-challenges-00.txt
	Pages           : 26
	Date            : 2014-09-22

Abstract:
   The Internet of Things (IoT) promises to connect billions of objects
   to Internet.  After deploying many stand-alone IoT systems in
   different domains, the current trend is to develop a common, "thin
   waist" of protocols forming a unified, defragmented IoT platform.
   Such a platform will make objects accessible to applications across
   organizations and domains.  Towards this goal, quite a few proposals
   have been made to build a unified IoT platform as an overlay on top
   of today's Internet.  Such overlay solutions, however, are inadequate
   to address the important challenges posed by a heterogeneous, global
   scale deployment of IoT, especially in terms of mobility,
   scalability, and communication reliability, due to the inherent
   inefficiencies of the current Internet.  To address this problem, we
   propose to build a common set of protocols and services, which form
   an IoT platform, based on the Information Centric Network (ICN)
   architecture, which we call ICN-IoT.  ICN-IoT leverages the salient
   features of ICN, and thus provides seamless mobility support,
   scalability, and efficient content and service delivery.

   This draft sets the IoT requirements and ICN challenges to realize a
   unified ICN-IoT framework.  Towards this, we first identify a list of
   important requirements which a unified IoT architecture should have
   to support tens of billions of objects.  Then we analyze the current
   state of art deployment model and discuss important and popular IoT
   scenarios including the "smart" home, campus, grid, transportation
   infrastructure, healthcare, Education, and Entertainment.  Though we
   see most of these requirements are met by ICN, we discuss specific
   challenges ICN has to address to satisfy them considering
   heterogeneity in IoT environments and scenarios.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-zhang-iot-icn-challenges/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-zhang-iot-icn-challenges-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/