Subject: I-D Action: draft-irtf-sdnrg-layer-terminology-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2014 14:41:29 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : SDN Layers and Architecture Terminology
        Authors         : Evangelos Haleplidis
                          Kostas Pentikousis
                          Spyros Denazis
                          Jamal Hadi Salim
                          David Meyer
                          Odysseas Koufopavlou
	Filename        : draft-irtf-sdnrg-layer-terminology-03.txt
	Pages           : 33
	Date            : 2014-10-15

Abstract:
   Software-Defined Networking (SDN) refers to a new approach for
   network programmability, that is, the capacity to initialize,
   control, change, and manage network behavior dynamically via open
   interfaces.  SDN emphasizes the role of software in running networks
   through the introduction of an abstraction for the data forwarding
   plane and, by doing so, separates it from the control plane.  This
   separation allows faster innovation cycles at both planes as
   experience has already shown.  However, there is increasing confusion
   as to what exactly SDN is, what is the layer structure in an SDN
   architecture and how do layers interface with each other.  This
   document, a product of the IRTF Software-Defined Networking Research
   Group (SDNRG), addresses these questions and provides a concise
   reference for the SDN research community based on relevant peer-
   reviewed literature, the RFC series, and relevant documents by other
   standards organizations.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-irtf-sdnrg-layer-terminology/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-irtf-sdnrg-layer-terminology-03

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-irtf-sdnrg-layer-terminology-03

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/