Subject: I-D Action: draft-kang-sfc-failover-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2014 00:39:02 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Failover for Service Function Chaining
        Authors         : Taeho Kang
                          Sungsu Kim
                          EunKyoung Paik
	Filename        : draft-kang-sfc-failover-01.txt
	Pages           : 7
	Date            : 2014-10-27

Abstract:
   In SFC-enabled domain, failures can occur at Service Function(SF).
   If the failed node is on the path where a packet is delivered, packet
   cannot be sent to destination and such situation should be avoided.
   Currently, there are many ways to provide redundancy of SFs, such as
   VRRP.  However, legacy redundancy method may not be used in SFC as
   Service Function Forwarders(SFFs) do not use IP or MAC address in
   their FIBs.  In SFC, traffic is steered based on Service Function
   Path ID and Service Index.  Therefore controller, which is
   responsible for a control plane function in SFC, can manage path of
   SFC.  In this document, we illustrate failover method specifically
   for SFC which uses SFC encapsulation.  We describe bypass mechanism
   to avoid failures in SFs and redirect traffic to backup SFs.  For
   bypass mechanism, we propose SF classification of 1)mandatory SFs
   that function indispensible for packet delivery, such as NAT and
   2)optional SFs that a packet can be delivered without them, such as
   Firewall and IDS.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-kang-sfc-failover/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-kang-sfc-failover-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-kang-sfc-failover-01

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/