Subject: I-D Action: draft-reschke-objsec-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2014 14:48:20 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : A Rationale for Fine-grained Intermediary-aware End-to-End Protocols
        Authors         : Dan Druta
                          Thomas Fossati
                          Marcus Ihlar
                          Guenter Klas
                          Diego R. Lopez
                          Julian F. Reschke
	Filename        : draft-reschke-objsec-00.txt
	Pages           : 12
	Date            : 2014-10-27

Abstract:
   A tremendous growth in different uses of the Internet has led to a
   growing need to protect data sent over public networks, including
   data sent via HTTP.  Resorting to the use of end-to-end TLS and https
   for the majority of traffic looks at first like a most feasible
   response.  However, the more sophisticated the web architecture
   becomes as it goes beyond the simple client-server model, the more
   the end-to-end use of TLS shows its downside as it excludes the use
   of beneficial intermediaries like caches or proxies that provide
   instrumental services.  The need for greater privacy seems to collide
   with the equally growing desire for better end-to-end performance and
   user experience.  As an example, the use of TLS and https often
   appears to maximise the benefit for the first but not the benefit for
   the combination of both.

   This document describes this dilemma and lays out a number of
   objectives of what should ideally be achieved, namely catering for
   sufficient security and privacy whilst providing users with the
   opportunity to make use of intermediaries' services where considered
   beneficial.  We then introduce a number of characteristics potential
   solutions could have, with the hope that those will steer us towards
   suitable protocol mechanisms and data formats.  End-to-end protocols
   which are aware of intermediaries should enable users and/or content
   providers to exercise fine-grained control over what intermediaries
   shall be able to do and what exposure to data or metadata they shall
   be permitted to get.  The document then highlights anticipated
   benefits to key stakeholders like users, content providers and
   intermediaries.  As elements like object security can play a useful
   role, we encourage the analysis of related pieces of work in order to
   discern their applicability, limitations, and coverage of use cases.
   This will allow us to frame an overall architecture and motivate more
   detailed work on protocols and mechanisms in the future.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-reschke-objsec/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-reschke-objsec-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/