Subject: I-D Action: draft-manyfolks-gaia-community-networks-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2014 00:56:05 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Alternative Network Deployments. Taxonomy and characterization
        Authors         : Jose Saldana
                          Andres Arcia-Moret
                          Bart Braem
                          Leandro Navarro
                          Ermanno Pietrosemoli
                          Carlos Rey-Moreno
                          Arjuna Sathiaseelan
                          Marco Zennaro
	Filename        : draft-manyfolks-gaia-community-networks-01.txt
	Pages           : 27
	Date            : 2014-10-06

Abstract:
   This document presents a taxonomy of "alternative network
   deployments", and a set of definitions and shared characteristics.
   This term includes a set of network models emerged in the last
   decades with the aim of bringing Internet connectivity to people,
   following topological, architectural and business models different
   from the so-called "traditional" ones, where a company deploys the
   infrastructure connecting the households of the users, who pay for
   it.

   Several initiatives throughout the World have built large scale
   networks that use wireless technologies (including long distance) due
   to the reduced cost of using the unlicensed spectrum.  Others rely on
   wired technologies.  Some of these networks are self-organized and
   decentralized, other ones are based on sharing wireless resources of
   the users.  The emergence of these networks can be motivated by
   different causes: Sometimes the reluctance, or the impossibility, of
   network operators to provide wired and cellular infrastructures to
   rural/remote areas.  In these cases, the networks have self
   sustainable business models that provide more localised communication
   services as well as providing Internet backhaul support through
   peering agreements with traditional network operators.  Some other
   times, they are built as a complement and an alternative to
   commercial Internet access provided by "traditional" network
   operators.

   The classification considers different existing network models as
   e.g., community networks, open wireless services, user-extensible
   services, traditional local ISPs, new global ISPs, etc.  Different
   criteria are used in order to build a classification as e.g., the
   ownership of the equipment, the way the network is organized, the
   participatory model, the extensibility, if they are driven by a
   community, a company or a local (public or private) stakeholder, etc.

   According to the developed taxonomy, a characterization of each kind
   of network is presented, in terms of network characteristics related
   to architecture, organization, etc.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-manyfolks-gaia-community-networks/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-manyfolks-gaia-community-networks-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-manyfolks-gaia-community-networks-01

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/