Subject: I-D Action: draft-pan-ippm-sdn-addr-resolv-perf-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2014 06:24:38 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Address Resolution Delay Metric in Software-Defined Networking (SDN)
        Authors         : Xing Ya. Pan
                          Wei Qiang. Sun
	Filename        : draft-pan-ippm-sdn-addr-resolv-perf-00.txt
	Pages           : 10
	Date            : 2014-10-20

Abstract:
   To send data packets from one host to another in traditional local
   area networks, one needs to know the MAC of destination host.  This
   is called the address resolution and is handled by the ARP (Address
   Resolution Protocol) protocol.  However the ARP Request and ARP
   Response mechanism in Software-Defined Networking (SDN) (RFC7149) is
   different from that in traditional local area networks.  In SDN, when
   there are no flow registrations in switches to forward ARP packets,
   ARP packets have to be sent to the controller first.  As resolving
   the ARP packets may be time consuming depending on the load on the
   controller and may potentially have different implications on address
   resolution in SDN, characterization of this delay performance can
   thus help users to know the approximate delay before the actual data
   forwarding process.  In this document, we define performance
   parameters to characterize the delay metrics of address resolution in
   SDN.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-pan-ippm-sdn-addr-resolv-perf/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-pan-ippm-sdn-addr-resolv-perf-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/