Subject: I-D Action: draft-flinck-mobile-throughput-guidance-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 2014 22:37:18 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Mobile Throughput Guidance Signaling Protocol
        Authors         : Ankur Jain
                          Andreas Terzis
                          Nurit Sprecher
                          Peter Szilagyi
                          Hannu Flinck
	Filename        : draft-flinck-mobile-throughput-guidance-00.txt
	Pages           : 19
	Date            : 2014-10-26

Abstract:
   The behaviour of the Transmission Control Protocol (TCP), which
   assumes that network congestion is the primary cause for packet loss
   and high delay, can lead to inefficient use of a cellular network's
   resources and degrade application performance.  The root cause for
   this inefficiency is that TCP has difficulty adapting to the rapidly
   varying network conditions.  In cellular networks, the bandwidth
   available for end devices can vary by an order of magnitude over a
   few seconds due to changes in the underlying radio channel
   conditions, as devices move, as well as changes in system load as
   other devices enter and leave the network.

   This document proposes a mechanism and protocol elements that can be
   used to assist TCP in cellular networks, ensuring high utilization
   and high service delivery performance.

   The document describes the applicability of the proposed mechanism
   for video delivery over cellular networks; it also presents test
   results.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-flinck-mobile-throughput-guidance/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-flinck-mobile-throughput-guidance-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/