Subject: I-D Action: draft-homma-sfc-forwarding-methods-analysis-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2014 02:44:26 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Analysis on Forwarding Methods for Service Chaining
        Authors         : Shunsuke Homma
                          Kengo Naito
                          Diego R. Lopez
	Filename        : draft-homma-sfc-forwarding-methods-analysis-00.txt
	Pages           : 20
	Date            : 2014-10-27

Abstract:
   Some working groups of the IETF and other Standards Developing
   Organizations are now discussing use cases of a technology that
   enables data packets to traverse appropriate service functions
   through networks.  This is called Service Chaining in this document.
   (Also, in Network Functions Virtualisation (NFV), a subject that
   forwarding packets to required service functions in appropriate order
   is called VNF Forwarding Graph.)  This draft does not focus only on
   SFC method, and thus, use the term "Service Chaining".  SFC may be
   one method to realize Service Chaining.  There are several Service
   Chaining methods to forward data packets to service functions, and
   the applicable methods will vary depending on the service/network
   requirements of individual networks.

   This document presents the results of analyzing packet forwarding
   methods and path decision patterns for achieving Service Chaining.
   For forwarding data packets to the appropriate service functions,
   distribution of route infromation and steering data packets following
   the route infromation, are required.  Examples of route information
   are packet identifier and the routing configurations based on the
   identifier.  Also, forwarding functions are required to decide the
   path according to the route information.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-homma-sfc-forwarding-methods-analysis/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-homma-sfc-forwarding-methods-analysis-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/