Subject: I-D Action: draft-reschke-objsec-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2014 16:59:37 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : A Rationale for Fine-grained Intermediary-aware End-to-End Protocols
        Authors         : Dan Druta
                          Thomas Fossati
                          Marcus Ihlar
                          Guenter Klas
                          Diego R. Lopez
                          Julian F. Reschke
	Filename        : draft-reschke-objsec-01.txt
	Pages           : 11
	Date            : 2014-10-27

Abstract:
   A tremendous growth in different uses of the Internet has let to a
   growing need to protect data sent over public networks, including
   data sent via http.  Use of end-to-end TLS for the majority of
   traffic looks at first a most feasible response.  However, the web
   architecture has become more sophisticated and as it has now gone
   beyond the simple client-server model, the end-to-end used of TLS is
   increasingly showing its downside.  The end-to-end use of TLS
   excludes the use of beneficial intermediaries such as use of caches
   or proxies that provide instrumental services.  Then need for greater
   privacy seems to collide with the equally growing desire for better
   end-to-end performance and user experience.  As an example, the use
   of HTTP/TLS often appears to maximise the benefit for the combination
   of both.

   This document describes the above dichotomy and lays out a number of
   objectives of what can ideally be achieved, namely catering for
   sufficient security and privacy whilst providing users with the
   opportunity to make use of intermediaries' services where considered
   beneficial.  This document introduces a number of potential solutions
   towards use of suitable protocol mechanisms and data formats.  End-
   to-end protocols which are aware of intermediaries should enable
   users and/or content providers to exercise fine-grained control over
   what intermediaries should be able to do and what exposure to data or
   metadata they shall be permitted to get.  The document then
   highlights anticipated benefits to key stakeholders such as users,
   content providers and intermediaries.  As elements such as object
   security can play a useful role, this document encourages the
   analysis of related work to discern their applicability, limitations,
   and coverage of use cases.  Such an effort may us espouse innovation
   to frame an overall architecture and motivate more detailed work on
   protocols and mechanisms in the future.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-reschke-objsec/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-reschke-objsec-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-reschke-objsec-01

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/