Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-dnsop-edns-tcp-keepalive-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2014 16:36:38 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Domain Name System Operations Working Group of the IETF.

        Title           : The edns-tcp-keepalive EDNS0 Option
        Authors         : Paul Wouters
                          Joe Abley
	Filename        : draft-ietf-dnsop-edns-tcp-keepalive-01.txt
	Pages           : 10
	Date            : 2014-10-27

Abstract:
   DNS messages between clients and servers may be received over either
   UDP or TCP.  UDP transport involves keeping less state on a busy
   server, but can cause truncation and retries over TCP.  Additionally,
   UDP can be exploited for reflection attacks.  Using TCP would reduce
   retransmits and amplification.  However, clients are currently
   limited in their use of the TCP transport as RFC 5966 suggests
   closing idle TCP sessions "in the order of seconds", making use of
   TCP only suitable for individual queries generated as a fallback
   protocol for truncated UDP answers.

   This document defines an EDNS0 option ("edns-tcp-keepalive") that
   allows DNS clients and servers to signal their respective readiness
   to conduct multiple DNS transactions over individual TCP sessions.
   This signalling facilitates a better balance of UDP and TCP transport
   between individual clients and servers, reducing the impact of
   problems associated with UDP transport and allowing the state
   associated with TCP transport to be managed effectively with minimal
   impact on the DNS transaction time.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnsop-edns-tcp-keepalive/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dnsop-edns-tcp-keepalive-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-dnsop-edns-tcp-keepalive-01

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/