Subject: I-D Action: draft-song-dclc-tcpdc-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2014 14:07:52 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : TCP Parameter Dynamic Control
        Authors         : Monia Ghobadi
                          Haibin Song
                          Rachel Huang
                          Yashar Ganjali
	Filename        : draft-song-dclc-tcpdc-04.txt
	Pages           : 14
	Date            : 2014-10-27

Abstract:
   Congestion control has been extensively studied for many years.
   Today, the Transmission Control Protocol (TCP) is used in a wide
   range of networks (LAN, WAN, data center, campus network, enterprise
   network, etc.) as the de facto congestion control mechanism. Despite
   its common usage, TCP operates in these networks with little
   knowledge of the underlying network or traffic characteristics. As a
   result, it is deemed to continuously increase or decrease its
   congestion window size in order to handle changes in the network or
   traffic conditions. Thus, TCP frequently overshoots or undershoots
   the ideal rate making it a "Jack of all trades, master of none"
   congestion control protocol. In light of the emerging popularity of
   centrally controlled networks such as Software-Defined Networks
   (SDNs), we propose a framework that takes advantage of the
   information available at the central controller to improve TCP.
   Specifically, in this document, we propose OpenTCP as a dynamic and
   programmable TCP adaptation framework for centrally controlled
   networks. OpenTCP gathers global information about the status of the
   network and traffic conditions through the centralized controller,
   and uses this information to adapt TCP. OpenTCP periodically sends
   updates to end-hosts which, in turn, update their behaviour using a
   simple kernel module.

   This document describes a framework and message flows for centralized
   congestion control parameter adaptation based on congestion control
   policies and network status measurements, so that each end host in a
   network can make better use of the network resource according to the
   available resources. In the rest of this document we use TCP as a
   standard congestion control mechanism, but the same idea can be
   applied to other congestion control protocols as well. A TCP
   Optimization Element and a TCP Optimization Agent are introduced. The
   message patterns include request response and
   subscription/notification. This mechanism can be used in network
   service providers' networks, as well as in data center networks.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-song-dclc-tcpdc/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-song-dclc-tcpdc-04

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-song-dclc-tcpdc-04

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/