Subject: I-D Action: draft-kumar-dice-dtls-relay-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2014 12:03:30 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : DTLS Relay for Constrained Environments
        Authors         : Sandeep S. Kumar
                          Sye Loong Keoh
                          Oscar Garcia-Morchon
	Filename        : draft-kumar-dice-dtls-relay-02.txt
	Pages           : 13
	Date            : 2014-10-20

Abstract:
   The 6LoWPAN and CoAP standards defined for resource-constrained
   devices are fast emerging as the de-facto protocols for enabling the
   Internet-of-Things (IoTs).  Security is an important concern in IoTs
   and the DTLS protocol has been chosen as the preferred method for
   securing CoAP messages.  DTLS is a point-to-point protocol relying on
   IP routing to deliver messages between the client and the server.
   However in some low-power lossy networks (LLNs) with multi-hop, a new
   "joining" device may not be initially IP-routable.  Moreover, it
   exists in a separate, unauthenticated domain at the point of first
   contact and therefore cannot be initially trusted.  This puts
   limitations on the ability to use DTLS as an authentication and
   confidentiality protocol at this stage.  These devices being
   Resource-constrained often cannot accommodate more than one security
   protocol in their code memory.  To overcome this problem we suggest
   DTLS as the single protocol and therefore, we present a DTLS Relay
   solution for the non-IP routable "joining" device to enable it to
   establish a secure DTLS connection with a DTLS Server.  Furthermore
   we present a stateful and stateless mode of operation for the DTLS
   Relay.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-kumar-dice-dtls-relay/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-kumar-dice-dtls-relay-02

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-kumar-dice-dtls-relay-02

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/