Subject: I-D Action: draft-mackie-sfc-using-virtual-networking-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2014 13:52:45 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Service Function Chains Using Virtual Networking
        Authors         : Stuart Mackie
                          Bruno Rijsman
                          Maria Napierala
                          Diego Daino
                          Diego R. Lopez
                          Daniel Bernier
                          Walter Haeffner
	Filename        : draft-mackie-sfc-using-virtual-networking-02.txt
	Pages           : 44
	Date            : 2014-10-17

Abstract:
   This document describes how service function chains (SFC) can be
   applied to traffic flows using routing in a virtual (overlay)
   network to steer traffic between service nodes. Chains can include
   services running in routers, on physical appliances or in virtual
   machines. Service chains have applicability at the subscriber edge,
   business edge and in multi-tenant datacenters. The routing function
   into SFCs and between service functions within an SFC can be
   performed by physical devices (routers), be virtualized inside
   hypervisors, or run as part of a host OS.

   The architecture uses a controller to calculate and install routes
   to implement an SFC, based on a topological model of the chain and
   knowledge of the network addresses that should pass through the
   chain. An advantage of the approach is that SFCs can be implemented
   without alteration to today's BGP standard, and without change to
   the current operation of routers.

   Service chains need to support load balancing between network
   functions, and symmetric forward and reverse paths are required when
   stateful services are involved. This document shows how these
   requirements can be met by using VRFs at the ingress and egress of
   each service instance and by performing load balancing after the
   egress of each service as part of the routing function.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-mackie-sfc-using-virtual-networking/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-mackie-sfc-using-virtual-networking-02

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-mackie-sfc-using-virtual-networking-02

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/