Subject: I-D Action: draft-briscoe-tcpm-inner-space-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2014 16:59:03 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Inner Space for TCP Options
        Author          : Bob Briscoe
	Filename        : draft-briscoe-tcpm-inner-space-00.txt
	Pages           : 45
	Date            : 2014-10-19

Abstract:
   This document describes an experimental method to extend the limited
   space for control options in every segment of a TCP connection.  It
   can use a dual handshake so that, from the very first SYN segment,
   extra option space can immediately start to be used optimistically.
   At the same time the dual handshake prevents a legacy server from
   getting confused and sending the control options to the application
   as user-data.  The dual handshake is only one strategy - a single
   handshake will usually suffice once deployment has got started.  The
   protocol is designed to traverse most known middleboxes including
   connection splitters, because it sits wholly within the TCP Data.  It
   also provides reliable ordered delivery for control options.
   Therefore, it should allow new TCP options to be introduced i) with
   minimal middlebox traversal problems; ii) avoiding incremental
   deployment problems with pre-existing servers; iii) without an extra
   round of handshaking delay iv) without having to provide its own loss
   recovery and ordering mechanism and v) without arbitrary limits on
   available space.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-briscoe-tcpm-inner-space/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-briscoe-tcpm-inner-space-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/