Subject: I-D Action: draft-aqm-codel-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2014 17:55:17 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Controlled Delay Active Queue Management
        Authors         : Kathleen Nichols
                          Van Jacobson
                          Andrew McGregor
                          Jana Iyengar
	Filename        : draft-aqm-codel-00.txt
	Pages           : 28
	Date            : 2014-10-16

Abstract:
   The "persistently full buffer" problem has been discussed in the IETF
   community since the early 80's [RFC896].  The IRTF's End-to-End
   Working Group called for the deployment of active queue management
   (AQM) to solve the problem in 1998 [RFC2309].  Despite the awareness,
   the problem has only gotten worse as Moore's Law growth in memory
   density fueled an exponential increase in buffer pool size.  Efforts
   to deploy AQM have been frustrated by difficult configuration and
   negative impact on network utilization.  This problem, recently
   christened "bufferbloat", [TSVBB2011] [BB2011] has become
   increasingly important throughout the Internet but particularly at
   the consumer edge.

   This document describes a general framework called CoDel (Controlled
   Delay) [CODEL2012] that controls bufferbloat-generated excess delay
   in modern networking environments.  CoDel consists of an estimator, a
   setpoint, and a control loop.  It requires no configuration in normal
   Internet deployments.  CoDel comprises some major technical
   innovations and has been made available as open source so that the
   framework can be applied by the community to a range of problems.  It
   has been implemented in Linux (and available in the Linux
   distribution) and deployed in some networks at the consumer edge.  In
   addition, the framework has been successfully applied in other ways.

   Note: Code Components extracted from this document must include the
   license as included with the code in Section 5.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-aqm-codel/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-aqm-codel-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/