Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-6man-default-iids-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2014 13:45:52 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the IPv6 Maintenance Working Group of the IETF.

        Title           : Recommendation on Stable IPv6 Interface Identifiers
        Authors         : Fernando Gont
                          Alissa Cooper
                          Dave Thaler
                          Will Liu
	Filename        : draft-ietf-6man-default-iids-01.txt
	Pages           : 7
	Date            : 2014-10-08

Abstract:
   The IPv6 addressing architecture defines Modified EUI-64 format
   Interface Identifiers, and the existing IPv6 over various link-layers
   specify how such identifiers are derived from the underlying link-
   layer address (e.g., an IEEE LAN MAC address) when employing IPv6
   Stateless Address Autoconfiguration (SLAAC).  The security and
   privacy implications of embedding hardware addresses in the Interface
   Identifier have been known and understood for some time now, and some
   popular IPv6 implementations have already deviated from such schemes
   to mitigate these issues.  This document changes the recommended
   default Interface Identifier generation scheme to that specified in
   RFC7217, and recommends against embedding hardware addresses in IPv6
   Interface Identifiers.  It formally updates RFC2464, RFC2467,
   RFC2470, RFC2491, RFC2492, RFC2497, RFC2590, RFC3146, RFC3572,
   RFC4291, RFC4338, RFC4391, RFC5072, and RFC5121, wihch require IPv6
   Interface Identifiers to be derived from the underlying link-layer
   address.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-6man-default-iids/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-6man-default-iids-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-6man-default-iids-01

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/