Subject: I-D Action: draft-nordmark-6man-rs-refresh-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2014 22:30:46 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : IPv6 Neighbor Discovery Optional Unicast RS/RA Refresh
        Author          : Erik Nordmark
	Filename        : draft-nordmark-6man-rs-refresh-00.txt
	Pages           : 11
	Date            : 2014-10-24

Abstract:
   IPv6 Neighbor Discovery relies on periodic multicast Router
   Advertisement messages to update timer values and to distribute new
   information (such as new prefixes) to hosts.  On some links the use
   of periodic multicast messages to all host becomes expensive, and in
   some cases it results in hosts waking up frequently.  Many
   implementations of RFC 4861 also use multicast for solicited Router
   Advertisement messages, even though that behavior is optional.

   This specification provides an optional mechanism for hosts and
   routers where instead of periodic multicast Router Advertisements the
   hosts are instructed (by the routers) to use unicast Router
   Solicitations to request refreshed Router Advertisements.  This
   mechanism is enabled by configuring the router to include a new
   option in the Router Advertisement in order to allow the network
   administrator to choose host behavior based on whether periodic
   multicast are more efficient on their link or not.  The routers can
   also tell whether the hosts are capable of the new behavior through a
   new flag in the Router Solicitations.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-nordmark-6man-rs-refresh/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-nordmark-6man-rs-refresh-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/