Subject: I-D Action: draft-johansson-sipcore-dane-sip-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2014 07:16:17 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : TLS sessions in SIP using DNS-based Authentication of Named Entities (DANE) TLSA records
        Author          : Olle E. Johansson
	Filename        : draft-johansson-sipcore-dane-sip-00.txt
	Pages           : 9
	Date            : 2014-10-06

Abstract:
   Use of TLS in the SIP protocol is defined in multiple documents,
   starting with RFC 3261.  The actual verification that happens when
   setting up a SIP TLS connection to a SIP server based on a SIP URI is
   described in detail in RFC 5922 - SIP Domain Certificates.

   In this document, an alternative method is defined, using DNS-Based
   Authentication of Named Entities (DANE).  By looking up TLSA DNS
   records and using DNSsec protection of the required queries,
   including lookups for NAPTR and SRV records, a SIP Client can verify
   the identity of the TLS SIP server in a different way, matching on
   the SRV host name in the X.509 PKIX certificate instead of the SIP
   domain.  This provides more scalability in hosting solutions and make
   it easier to use standard CA certificates (if needed at all).

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-johansson-sipcore-dane-sip/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-johansson-sipcore-dane-sip-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/