Subject: I-D Action: draft-slevinski-signwriting-text-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 09 Nov 2014 19:10:56 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : The SignPuddle Standard for SignWriting Text
        Author          : Stephen E Slevinski
	Filename        : draft-slevinski-signwriting-text-04.txt
	Pages           : 43
	Date            : 2014-11-09

Abstract:
   For concreteness, because the universal character set is not yet
   universal, and because an international standard for the internet
   community should be documented and stable, this I-D has been released
   with the intention of producing an RFC to document the character use
   and naming conventions of the SignWriting community on the Internet.

   The SignWriting Script is an international standard for writing sign
   languages by hand or with computers.  From education to research,
   from entertainment to religion, SignWriting has proven useful because
   people are using it to write signed languages.  The SignWriting
   Script has two major families: Block Printing for the reader and
   Handwriting for the writer.

   Formal SignWriting uses ASCII strings to name logographic signs.  The
   mathematical names are explained with tokens and regular expression
   patterns.  Symbol keys reference the symbols of the International
   SignWriting Alphabet 2010.  Coordinates define X and Y number values
   for 2-dimensional placement.  Signs are written in a spatial SignBox,
   where each symbol is positioned with a 2-dimension coordinate.  For
   sorting, each sign can have an optional temporal sequence of symbols
   that is outside of the SignBox and the visible text.  Completed signs
   are written sequentially, interspersed with punctuation symbols, to
   form sentences.

   The query language of Formal SignWriting uses a similar lite markup
   to define a variety of searching possibilities.  The spatial SignBox
   can be searched for symbols or ranges of symbols.  For each symbol or
   range, the search can specify if the symbol only needs to be found
   somewhere in the SignBox, or if the symbol needs to be found near
   certain coordinates.  The temporal sequence can be searched for
   starting symbols, written as a sequential list of symbols and ranges
   of symbols.  When searching the temporal sequence, the search results
   will be limited to signs that start with a matching temporal
   sequence.  Each query string is transformed into one or more regular
   expressions.  The regular expressions are used to quickly search
   large amounts of data.

   For Unicode, there are several encodings which integrate.  Formal
   SignWriting is UTF-8.  The Unicode 8 specification will include
   characters to name the symbols of the International SignWriting
   Alphabet 2010.  There are 2 separate encodings in the Unicode Private
   Use Area.  The plane 15 encoding is isomorphic with Formal
   SignWriting strings, using 3 characters for each symbol.  The plane
   16 encoding is focused on the symbols only, using 1 character for
   each symbol.

   Three appendices discuss additional topics to the standard.  The
   first discusses the Modern SignWriting theory and example document,
   stable since January 12, 2012.  The second discusses the symbol
   encoding of the International SignWriting Alphabet 2010.  The third
   discusses the SignPuddle Standards: licences, infrastructure, and
   compatibility.

   This memo concretely defines a conceptual character encoding map for
   the Internet community.  It is published for reference, examination,
   implementation, and evaluation.  Distribution of this memo is
   unlimited.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-slevinski-signwriting-text/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-slevinski-signwriting-text-04

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-slevinski-signwriting-text-04

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/