Subject: I-D Action: draft-leiba-cotton-iana-5226bis-11.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2014 21:22:24 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Guidelines for Writing an IANA Considerations Section in RFCs
        Authors         : Michelle Cotton
                          Barry Leiba
                          Thomas Narten
	Filename        : draft-leiba-cotton-iana-5226bis-11.txt
	Pages           : 37
	Date            : 2014-11-10

Abstract:
   Many protocols make use of points of extensibility that use constants
   to identify various protocol parameters.  To ensure that the values
   used in these fields do not have conflicting uses, and to promote
   interoperability, their allocation is often coordinated by a central
   authority.  For IETF protocols, that role is filled by the Internet
   Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA).

   To make assignments in a given namespace prudently, IANA needs
   guidance describing the conditions under which new values should be
   assigned, as well as when and how modifications to existing values
   can be made.  This document defines a framework for the documentation
   of these guidelines by specification authors, in order to assure that
   the guidance given to IANA is clear and addresses the various issues
   that are likely in the operation of a registry.

   This is the third edition, and obsoletes RFC 5226.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-leiba-cotton-iana-5226bis/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-leiba-cotton-iana-5226bis-11

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-leiba-cotton-iana-5226bis-11

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/