Subject: I-D Action: draft-nielsen-tsvwg-sctp-tlr-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2014 01:35:22 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : SCTP Tail Loss Recovery Enhancements
        Author          : Karen E. E. Nielsen
	Filename        : draft-nielsen-tsvwg-sctp-tlr-01.txt
	Pages           : 18
	Date            : 2014-11-11

Abstract:
   Loss Recovery by means of T3-Retransmission has significant
   detrimental impact on the delays experienced through an SCTP
   association.  The throughput achievable over an SCTP association also
   is negatively impacted by the occurence of T3-Retransmissions.  Loss
   Recovery by Fast Retransmission operation is in most situations
   superior to T3-Retransmission from a latency and a throughput
   perspective.  The present SCTP Fast Recovery algorithms as specified
   by [RFC4960] are not able to adequately or timely recover losses in
   certain situations, thus resorting to loss recovery by lengthy
   T3-Retransimissions or by non-timely activation of Fast Recovery.  In
   this document we propose for a number of enhancements to the SCTP
   Loss Recovery algorithms aimed to amend some of these deficiencies
   with a particular focus on Loss Recovery for drops in Traffic Tails.
   The enhancements supplement the existing algorithms of [RFC4960] with
   proactive probing and timer driven activation of the Fast
   Retransmission algorithm as well as a number of enhancements of the
   Fast Retransmission algorithm in itself are proposed.  The
   enhancement are proposed as supplements to the Loss Recovery
   algorithms of [RFC4960] and as such they do not deprecate or replace
   any of the mechanisms defined by [RFC4960].

   The solution proposed draws on prior art in the area of SCTP and TCP
   Loss Recovery improvements.  The mechanisms proposed include the
   adjustment to SCTP Fast Retransmission of certain improvements
   specified for TCP Fast Retransmission by [RFC6675] as well as the
   proposal embeds SCTP Early Retransmit [RFC5827] in a delayed variant.
   The proposal heavily draws on the ideas put forward for TCP by
   [DUKKIPATI01] for proactive probing and timer driven entering of Fast
   Recovery.  The proposal embeds certain aspects from [HURTIG] when
   applicable.  The procedures proposed are sender-side only and do not
   impact the SCTP receiver.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-nielsen-tsvwg-sctp-tlr/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-nielsen-tsvwg-sctp-tlr-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-nielsen-tsvwg-sctp-tlr-01

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/