Subject: I-D Action: draft-tsvwg-rfc5405bis-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2014 00:53:36 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : UDP Usage Guidelines
        Authors         : Lars Eggert
                          Godred Fairhurst
                          Greg Shepherd
	Filename        : draft-tsvwg-rfc5405bis-00.txt
	Pages           : 37
	Date            : 2014-12-09

Abstract:
   The User Datagram Protocol (UDP) provides a minimal message-passing
   transport that has no inherent congestion control mechanisms.
   Because congestion control is critical to the stable operation of the
   Internet, applications and other protocols that choose to use UDP as
   an Internet transport must employ mechanisms to prevent congestion
   collapse and to establish some degree of fairness with concurrent
   traffic.  They may also need to implement additional mechanisms,
   depending on how they use UDP.

   This document provides guidelines on the use of UDP for the designers
   of applications, tunnels and other protocols that use UDP.
   Congestion control guidelines are a primary focus, but the document
   also provides guidance on other topics, including message sizes,
   reliability, checksums, and middlebox traversal.

   If published as an RFC, this document will obsolete RFC5405.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-tsvwg-rfc5405bis/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-tsvwg-rfc5405bis-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/