Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-opsawg-capwap-hybridmac-07.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2014 09:27:47 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Operations and Management Area Working Group Working Group of the IETF.

        Title           : IEEE 802.11 MAC Profile for CAPWAP
        Authors         : Chunju Shao
                          Hui Deng
                          Rajesh S. Pazhyannur
                          Farooq Bari
                          Rong Zhang
                          Satoru Matsushima
	Filename        : draft-ietf-opsawg-capwap-hybridmac-07.txt
	Pages           : 11
	Date            : 2014-12-03

Abstract:
   The Control And Provisioning of Wireless Access Points (CAPWAP)
   protocol defines two entities: a Wireless Transmission Point (WTP)
   and an Access Controller (AC).  The CAPWAP protocol binding for IEEE
   802.11 defines two MAC (Medium Access Control) modes for IEEE 802.11
   WTP: Split and Local MAC, and describes the required functionality
   split between the WTP and AC for each mode.  However, in the Split
   MAC mode, the partitioning of encryption/decryption functions are not
   clearly defined.  In the Split MAC mode description, IEEE 802.11
   encryption is specified as located in either at the AC or the WTP,
   with no clear way for the AC to inform the WTP of where the
   encryption functionality should be located.  This lack of
   specification leads to interoperability issues, especially when the
   AC and WTP come from different vendors.  To prevent interoperability
   issues, this specification defines an IEEE 802.11 MAC profile message
   element in which each profile specifies an unambiguous division of
   encryption functionality between the WTP and AC.  The IEEE 802.11 MAC
   profile is used as follows: the WTP informs the AC of the supported
   profiles during the discovery or join process and the AC configures
   the WTP with one of the supported profiles when configuring the WLAN.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-opsawg-capwap-hybridmac/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-opsawg-capwap-hybridmac-07

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-opsawg-capwap-hybridmac-07

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/