Subject: I-D Action: draft-donley-behave-deterministic-cgn-09.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2014 16:07:34 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Deterministic Address Mapping to Reduce Logging in Carrier Grade NAT Deployments
        Authors         : Chris Donley
                          Chris Grundemann
                          Vikas Sarawat
                          Karthik Sundaresan
                          Olivier Vautrin
	Filename        : draft-donley-behave-deterministic-cgn-09.txt
	Pages           : 14
	Date            : 2014-12-11

Abstract:
   In some instances, Service Providers have a legal logging requirement
   to be able to map a subscriber's inside address with the address used
   on the public Internet (e.g. for abuse response).  Unfortunately,
   many Carrier Grade NAT logging solutions require active logging of
   dynamic translations.  Carrier Grade NAT port assignments are often
   per-connection, but could optionally use port ranges.  Research
   indicates that per-connection logging is not scalable in many
   residential broadband services.  This document suggests a way to
   manage Carrier Grade NAT translations in such a way as to
   significantly reduce the amount of logging required while providing
   traceability for abuse response.  IPv6 is, of course, the preferred
   solution.  While deployment is in progress, service providers are
   forced by business imperatives to maintain support for IPv4.  This
   note addresses the IPv4 part of the network when a Carrier Grade NAT
   solution is in use.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-donley-behave-deterministic-cgn/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-donley-behave-deterministic-cgn-09

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-donley-behave-deterministic-cgn-09

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/