Subject: I-D Action: draft-abhishek-refer-to-event-parameter-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2014 08:55:39 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Conveying Event Tag with the Session Initiation Protocol REFER Method
        Author          : Abhishek Gupta
	Filename        : draft-abhishek-refer-to-event-parameter-00.txt
	Pages           : 3
	Date            : 2014-12-23

Abstract:
   This document extends the REFER method, defined in RFC 3515, to
   convey feature parameters defined in RFC 3840.

Terminology

   In this document, the key words "MUST", "MUST NOT", "REQUIRED",
   "SHALL", "SHALL NOT", "SHOULD", "SHOULD NOT", "RECOMMENDED", "MAY",
   and "OPTIONAL" are to be interpreted as described in RFC 2119 [1].
   To simplify discussions of the REFER method and its extensions, three
   new terms are used throughout the document:

    - REFER-Issuer: the UA issuing the REFER request
    - REFER-Recipient: the UA receiving the REFER request
    - REFER-Target: the UA designated in the Refer-To URI

Introduction

   This document extends the SIP REFER method defined in RFC 3515
   to be used with feature parameters defined in RFC 3840.

   Feature tags are used by a UA to convey to another UA information
   about capabilities and features. This information can be shared by a
   UA using a number of mechanisms, including OPTIONS responses.

   Feature tag information can be very useful to another UA. It is
   especially useful prior to the establishment of a subscription,
   triggered only through REFER method. This is valid only for the request
   containing parameter "method=SUBSCRIBE" in Refer-To header. While
   sending this request if there is no mechanism to indicate as to which
   event is to be subscribed, the REFER-Recipient may send SUBSCRIBE with
   an undesired event. For example, if a REFER-Issuer knows (through an
   OPTIONS query, for example) that the remote REFER-Target supports
   events like dialog the REFER-Recipient might subscribe with dialog
   or any other event as specified.

   This extension to the REFER method provides a mechanism by which the
   REFER-Issuer can provide this useful information about the REFER-Target
   capabilities and functionality to the REFER-Recipient by
   including feature tags in the Refer-To header field in a REFER
   request.

Examples

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-abhishek-refer-to-event-parameter/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-abhishek-refer-to-event-parameter-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/