Subject: I-D Action: draft-manyfolks-gaia-community-networks-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2015 09:16:50 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Alternative Network Deployments. Taxonomy and characterization
        Authors         : Jose Saldana
                          Andres Arcia-Moret
                          Bart Braem
                          Leandro Navarro
                          Ermanno Pietrosemoli
                          Carlos Rey-Moreno
                          Arjuna Sathiaseelan
                          Marco Zennaro
	Filename        : draft-manyfolks-gaia-community-networks-02.txt
	Pages           : 33
	Date            : 2015-01-21

Abstract:
   This document presents a taxonomy of "Alternative Network
   deployments", and a set of definitions and shared characteristics.
   This term includes a set of network access models emerged in the last
   decade with the aim of bringing Internet connectivity to people,
   using topological, architectural and business models different from
   the so-called "traditional" ones, where a company deploys the network
   infrastructure for connecting the users, who pay for it.

   Several initiatives throughout the world have built large scale
   networks that are alternative to the traditional network operator
   deployments using predominately wireless technologies (including long
   distance) due to the reduced cost of using the unlicensed spectrum.
   Wired technologies such as Fiber are also used in some of these
   alternate networks.  There are several types of such alternate
   network: networks such as community networks are self-organized and
   decentralized networks wholly owned by the community; networks owned
   by individuals who act as wireless internet service providers
   (WISPs), networks owned by individuals but leased out to network
   operators who use such networks as a low-cost medium to reach the
   underserved population and finally there are networks that provide
   connectivity by sharing wireless resources of the users.

   The emergence of these networks can be motivated by different causes
   such as the reluctance, or the impossibility, of network operators to
   provide wired and cellular infrastructures to rural/remote areas.  In
   these cases, the networks have self sustainable business models that
   provide more localised communication services as well as Internet
   backhaul support through peering agreements with traditional network
   operators.  Some other times, networks are built as a complement and
   an alternative to commercial Internet access provided by
   "traditional" network operators.

   The present classification considers different existing network
   models such as Community Networks, open wireless services, user-
   extensible services, traditional local Internet Service Providers
   (ISPs), new global ISPs, etc.  Different criteria are used in order
   to build a classification as e.g., the ownership of the equipment,
   the way the network is organized, the participatory model, the
   extensibility, if they are driven by a community, a company or a
   local (public or private) stakeholder, etc.

   According to the developed taxonomy, a characterization of each kind
   of network is presented, in terms of specific network characteristics
   related to architecture, organization, etc.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-manyfolks-gaia-community-networks/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-manyfolks-gaia-community-networks-02

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-manyfolks-gaia-community-networks-02

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/