Subject: I-D Action: draft-tcs-coap-no-response-option-08.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2015 04:26:34 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : CoAP option for no server-response
        Authors         : Abhijan Bhattacharyya
                          Soma Bandyopadhyay
                          Arpan Pal
	Filename        : draft-tcs-coap-no-response-option-08.txt
	Pages           : 17
	Date            : 2015-01-21

Abstract:
   There can be typical M2M scenarios where responses from server
   against request from client might be considered redundant. This kind
   of open-loop exchange (with no reverse path from the server to the
   client) may be typically desired to minimize resource consumption in
   constrained systems while simultaneously updating a bulk of
   resources or updating a resource with a very high frequency. CoAP
   already provides a non-confirmable (NON) mode of exchange where the
   server end-point does not respond with ACK. However, the server end-
   point responds back with a status code indicating "the result of the
   attempt to understand and satisfy the request".

   This draft introduces a header option for CoAP called 'No-Response'.
   The option explicitly tells the server to suppress responses about
   the state of the resource against the request from the client. This
   option also provides granular control by allowing suppression of a
   typical class or a combination of classes of responses. This option
   may be effective for both unicast and multicast requests. This draft
   discusses few exemplary applications which might benefit from this
   option.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-tcs-coap-no-response-option/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-tcs-coap-no-response-option-08

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-tcs-coap-no-response-option-08

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/