Subject: I-D Action: draft-mglt-6lo-diet-esp-payload-compression-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2015 05:11:15 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Diet-IPsec: ESP Payload Compression of IPv6 / UDP / TCP / UDP-Lite
        Authors         : Daniel Migault
                          Tobias Guggemos
	Filename        : draft-mglt-6lo-diet-esp-payload-compression-00.txt
	Pages           : 14
	Date            : 2015-01-08

Abstract:
   ESP is a IPsec protocol that takes as input a Clear Text Data and
   outputs an encrypted ESP packet according to IPsec rules and
   parameters stored in different IPsec databases.

   Diet-ESP compresses the ESP fields.  However, Diet-ESP does not
   consider compression of the Clear Text Data.  Instead, if compression
   of the Clear Text Data is expected protocols like ROHCoverIPsec can
   be used.

   ROHCoverIPsec remains complex to implement in IoT devices, as states,
   and negotiations are involved between the compressors and
   decompressors of the two IoT devices.  Most of this complexity can be
   avoided by considering the parameters that have been negotiated by
   IPsec.

   This document describes an extension of the Diet-ESP Context that
   enables the compression of the Clear Text Data, without implementing
   the complex ROHCoverIPsec framework.  As opposed to ROHCoverIPsec the
   compression is not generic and as such all communication will not
   benefit from this compression.  However, we believe this extension
   addresses most of IoT communications.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-mglt-6lo-diet-esp-payload-compression/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-mglt-6lo-diet-esp-payload-compression-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/