Subject: I-D Action: draft-wijnands-bier-architecture-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2015 12:47:02 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Multicast using Bit Index Explicit Replication
        Authors         : IJsbrand Wijnands
                          Eric C. Rosen
                          Andrew Dolganow
                          Tony Przygienda
                          Sam K Aldrin
	Filename        : draft-wijnands-bier-architecture-03.txt
	Pages           : 29
	Date            : 2015-01-27

Abstract:
   This document specifies a new architecture for the forwarding of
   multicast data packets.  It provides optimal forwarding of multicast
   packets through a "multicast domain".  However, it does not require
   any explicit tree-building protocol, nor does it require intermediate
   nodes to maintain any per-flow state.  This architecture is known as
   "Bit Index Explicit Replication" (BIER).  When a multicast data
   packet enters the domain, the ingress router determines the set of
   egress routers to which the packet needs to be sent.  The ingress
   router then encapsulates the packet in a BIER header.  The BIER
   header contains a bitstring in which each bit represents exactly one
   egress router in the domain; to forward the packet to a given set of
   egress routers, the bits corresponding to those routers are set in
   the BIER header.  Elimination of the per-flow state and the explicit
   tree-building protocols results in a considerable simplification.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-wijnands-bier-architecture/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-wijnands-bier-architecture-03

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-wijnands-bier-architecture-03

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/