Subject: I-D Action: draft-chakrabarti-nordmark-6man-efficient-nd-07.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2015 14:44:52 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : IPv6 Neighbor Discovery Optimizations for Wired and Wireless Networks
        Authors         : Samita Chakrabarti
                          Erik Nordmark
                          Pascal Thubert
                          Margaret Wasserman
	Filename        : draft-chakrabarti-nordmark-6man-efficient-nd-07.txt
	Pages           : 35
	Date            : 2015-02-27

Abstract:
   IPv6 Neighbor Discovery (RFC 4861 going back to RFC 1970) was defined
   at a time when link-local multicast was as reliable and with the same
   network cost (send a packet on a yellow-coax Ethernet) as unicast and
   where the hosts were assumed to be always on and connected.

   Since 1996 we've seen a significant change with both an introduction
   of wireless networks and battery operated devices, which poses
   significant challenges for the old assumptions.  We are also seeing
   datacenter networks where virtual machines are not always on and
   connected, and scaling of multicast can be challenging.

   This specification contains extensions to IPv6 Neighbor Discovery
   which remove most use of multicast and make sleeping hosts more
   efficient.  The specification includes a default mixed mode where a
   link can have an arbitrary mix of hosts and/or routers - some
   implementing legacy Neighbor Discovery and some implementing the
   optimizations in this specification.  The optimizations provide
   incremental benefits to hosts as soon as the first updated routers
   are deployed on a link.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-chakrabarti-nordmark-6man-efficient-nd/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-chakrabarti-nordmark-6man-efficient-nd-07

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-chakrabarti-nordmark-6man-efficient-nd-07

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/