Subject: I-D Action: draft-mccann-dmm-prefixcost-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 07 Mar 2015 19:03:09 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Communicating Prefix Cost to Mobile Nodes
        Authors         : Peter J. McCann
                          John Kaippallimalil
	Filename        : draft-mccann-dmm-prefixcost-00.txt
	Pages           : 6
	Date            : 2015-03-07

Abstract:
   In a network implementing Distributed Mobility Management, it has
   been agreed that Mobile Nodes (MNs) should exhibit agility in their
   use of IP addresses.  For example, an MN might use an old address for
   ongoing socket connections but use a new, locally assigned address
   for new socket connections.  Determining when to assign a new
   address, and when to release old addresses, is currently an open
   problem.  Making an optimal decision about address assignment and
   release must involve a tradeoff in the amount of signaling used to
   allocate the new addresses, the amount of utility that applications
   are deriving from the use of a previously assigned address, and the
   cost of maintaining an address that was assigned at a previous point
   of attachment.  As the MN moves farther and farther from the initial
   point where an address was assigned, more and more resources are used
   to redirect packets destined for that IP address to its current
   location.  The MN currently does not know the amount of resources
   used as this depends on mobility path and internal routing topology
   of the network(s) which are known only to the network operator.  This
   document provides a mechanism to communicate to the MN the cost of
   maintaining a given prefix at the MN's current point of attachment so
   that the MN can make better decisions about when to release old
   addresses and assign new ones.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-mccann-dmm-prefixcost/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-mccann-dmm-prefixcost-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/