Subject: I-D Action: draft-huitema-privsec-harmfulname-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2015 13:55:40 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Current Hostname Practice Considered Harmful
        Authors         : Christian Huitema
                          Dave Thaler
	Filename        : draft-huitema-privsec-harmfulname-00.txt
	Pages           : 9
	Date            : 2015-03-09

Abstract:
   Giving a hostname to your computer and publishing it as you roam from
   network to hot spot is the Internet equivalent of walking around with
   a name tag affixed to your lapel.  The practice can significantly
   compromise your privacy, and should stop.

   There are several possible remedies, such as fixing a variety of
   protocols or avoiding disclosing a hostname at all.  This document
   studies another possible remedy, which is to replace the static
   hostnames by frequently changing randomized values.  This idea
   obviously needs more work.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-huitema-privsec-harmfulname/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-huitema-privsec-harmfulname-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/