Subject: I-D Action: draft-randriamasy-alto-cost-calendar-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2015 17:18:57 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : ALTO Cost Calendar
        Authors         : Sabine Randriamasy
                          Richard Yang
                          Qin Wu
                          Lingli Deng
                          Nico Schwan
	Filename        : draft-randriamasy-alto-cost-calendar-03.txt
	Pages           : 32
	Date            : 2015-03-09

Abstract:
   The goal of Application-Layer Traffic Optimization (ALTO) is to
   bridge the gap between network and applications by provisioning
   network related information in order to allow applications to make
   informed decisions.  The present draft proposes to extend the cost
   information provided by the ALTO protocol.  The purpose is to broaden
   the decision possibilities of applications to not only decide 'where'
   to connect to, but also 'when'.  This is useful to applications that
   have a degree of freedom on when to schedule data transfers, such as
   non- instantaneous data replication between data centers or service
   provisioning to end systems with irregular connectivity.  ALTO
   guidance to schedule application traffic can also efficiently help
   for load balancing and resources efficiency.

   The draft proposes a new cost Mode called "Calendar" Mode, that is
   applicable to time-sensitive ALTO metrics and allows Applications to
   carefully schedule their connections or data transfers.  In the
   Calendar Mode, an ALTO Server exposes ALTO Cost Values in JSON arrays
   where each value corresponds to a given time interval.  The time
   intervals as well as other Calendar attributes are specified in the
   IRD.  Besides the functional time-shift enhancement the ALTO Cost
   Calendar also allows to schedule the ALTO requests themselves and
   thus save a number of ALTO transactions.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-randriamasy-alto-cost-calendar/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-randriamasy-alto-cost-calendar-03

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-randriamasy-alto-cost-calendar-03

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/