Subject: I-D Action: draft-nordmark-nvo3-transcending-traceroute-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 2015 18:48:12 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Layer-Transcending Traceroute for Overlay Networks like VXLAN
        Authors         : Erik Nordmark
                          Chandra Appanna
                          Alton Lo
	Filename        : draft-nordmark-nvo3-transcending-traceroute-00.txt
	Pages           : 18
	Date            : 2015-03-04

Abstract:
   Tools like traceroute have been very valuable for the operation of
   the Internet.  Part of that value comes from being able to display
   information about routers and paths over which the user of the tool
   has no control, but the traceroute output can be passed along to
   someone else that can further investigate or fix the problem.

   In overlay networks such as VXLAN and NVGRE the prevailing view is
   that since the overlay network has no control of the underlay there
   needs to be special tools and agreements to enable extracting traces
   from the underlay.  We argue that enabling visibility into the
   underlay and using existing tools like traceroute has been overlooked
   and would add value in many deployments of overlay networks.

   This document specifies an approach that can be used to make
   traceroute transcend layers of encapsulation including details for
   how to apply this to VXLAN.  The technique can be applied to other
   encapsulations used for overlay networks.  It can also be implemented
   using current commercial silicon.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-nordmark-nvo3-transcending-traceroute/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-nordmark-nvo3-transcending-traceroute-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/