Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-tsvwg-sctp-failover-10.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2015 15:12:44 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Transport Area Working Group Working Group of the IETF.

        Title           : SCTP-PF: Quick Failover Algorithm in SCTP
        Authors         : Yoshifumi Nishida
                          Preethi Natarajan
                          Armando Caro
                          Paul D. Amer
                          Karen E. E. Nielsen
	Filename        : draft-ietf-tsvwg-sctp-failover-10.txt
	Pages           : 21
	Date            : 2015-03-09

Abstract:
   One of the major advantages of SCTP is the support of multi-homed
   communication.  A multi-homed SCTP end-point has the ability to
   withstand network failures by migrating the traffic from an inactive
   network to an active one.  However, if the failover operation as
   specified in RFC4960 is followed, there can be a significant delay in
   the migration to the active destination addresses, thus severely
   reducing the effectiveness of the SCTP failover operation.

   This document complements RFC4960 by the introduction of a new path
   state, the Potentially Failed (PF) path state, and an associated new
   failover operation to apply during a network failure.  The algorithm
   defined is called SCTP Potentially Failed Algorithm, SCTP-PF for
   short.  In addition, the document complements RFC4960 by introducing
   alternative switchover operation modes for the data transfer path
   management after the recovery of a failed primary path.  These modes
   can allow improvements in the performance of the operation in some
   network environments.  The implementation of the additional
   switchover operation modes is an optional part of SCTP-PF.

   The procedures defined in the document require only minimal
   modifications to the current specification.  The procedures are
   sender-side only and do not impact the SCTP receiver.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tsvwg-sctp-failover/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-tsvwg-sctp-failover-10

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-tsvwg-sctp-failover-10

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/