Subject: I-D Action: draft-flinck-mobile-throughput-guidance-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2015 13:21:22 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Mobile Throughput Guidance Inband Signaling Protocol
        Authors         : Ankur Jain
                          Andreas Terzis
                          Hannu Flinck
                          Nurit Sprecher
                          Swaminathan Arunachalam
                          Kevin Smith
	Filename        : draft-flinck-mobile-throughput-guidance-02.txt
	Pages           : 20
	Date            : 2015-03-09

Abstract:
   The bandwidth available for end user devices in cellular networks can
   vary by an order of magnitude over a few seconds due to changes in
   the underlying radio channel conditions, as device mobility and
   changes in system load as other devices enter and leave the network.
   Furthermore, packets losses are not always signs of congestion.  The
   Transmission Control Protocol (TCP) can have difficulties adapting to
   these rapidly varying conditions leading to inefficient use of a
   cellular network's resources and degraded application performance.
   Problem statement, requirements and the architecture for a solution
   is documented in [Req_Arch_MTG_Exposure]

   This document proposes a mechanism and protocol elements that allow
   the cellular network to provide near real-time information on
   capacity available to the TCP server.  This "Throughput Guidance"
   (TG) information would indicate the throughput estimated to be
   available at the radio downlink interface (between the Radio Access
   Network (RAN) and the mobile device (UE)).  TCP server can use this
   TG information to ensure high network utilization and high service
   delivery performance.  The document describes the applicability of
   the proposed mechanism for video delivery over cellular networks; it
   also presents test results from live operator's environment.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-flinck-mobile-throughput-guidance/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-flinck-mobile-throughput-guidance-02

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-flinck-mobile-throughput-guidance-02

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/