Subject: I-D Action: draft-kitamura-tcp-sharp-close-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 08 Mar 2015 23:29:12 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : "Sharp Close": Elimination of TIME-WAIT state of TCP connections
        Authors         : Hiroshi Kitamura
                          Shingo Ata
                          Masayuki Murata
	Filename        : draft-kitamura-tcp-sharp-close-00.txt
	Pages           : 9
	Date            : 2015-03-08

Abstract:
   This document describes an idea "Sharp Close" that eliminates or
   minimizes TIME-WAIT state of TCP connections.

   In the current TCP specification ([RFC0793]), there are some
   inappropriate or not up to date functions. Here we focus and
   discuss on TCP TIME-WAIT state function.

   TIME-WAIT is the last state of TCP connection of Active Close side
   node.  After TCP connections are effectively closed, they move to
   TIME-WAIT state. After TIME-WAIT state is finished, resources of
   connections are released. This means that even if connections are
   effectively finished, resources of connections are NOT released.
   The TIME-WAIT state prevents from releasing them.

   From the viewpoints of current high-speed and high-multiplicity
   communication styles, it is thought that TIME-WAIT state is one of
   evil functions.

   In order to provide efficient communication that matches current
   styles, an idea "Sharp Close" that eliminates or minimizes TIME-
   WAIT state of TCP connections is proposed.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-kitamura-tcp-sharp-close/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-kitamura-tcp-sharp-close-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/