Subject: I-D Action: draft-briscoe-tcpm-inspace-mode-tcpbis-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2015 16:56:15 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Inner Space for all TCP Options (Kitchen Sink Draft - to be Split Up)
        Author          : Bob Briscoe
	Filename        : draft-briscoe-tcpm-inspace-mode-tcpbis-00.txt
	Pages           : 72
	Date            : 2015-03-09

Abstract:
   This document describes an experimental redesign of TCP's
   extensibility mechanism.  It aims to traverse most known middleboxes
   including connection splitters, by making it possible to tunnel all
   TCP options within the TCP Data.  It provides a choice between in-
   order and out-of-order delivery for TCP options.  In-order delivery
   is a useful new facility for options that control datastream
   processing.  Out-of-order delivery has been the norm for TCP options
   until now, and is necessary for options involved with acknowledging
   data, otherwise flow control can deadlock.  TCP's original design
   limits TCP option space to 40B.  In the new design there is no such
   arbitrary limit, other than the maximum size of a segment.  The TCP
   client can immediately start to use the extra option space
   optimistically from the very first SYN segment, by using a dual
   handshake.  The dual handshake is designed to prevent a legacy server
   from getting confused and sending the control options to the
   application as user-data.  The dual handshake is only one strategy -
   a single handshake will usually suffice once deployment is underway.
   In summary, the protocol should allow new TCP options to be
   introduced i) with minimal middlebox traversal problems; ii) with
   incremental deployment from legacy servers; iii) with zero
   handshaking delay iv) with a choice of in-order and out-of-order
   delivery v) without arbitrary limits on available space.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-briscoe-tcpm-inspace-mode-tcpbis/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-briscoe-tcpm-inspace-mode-tcpbis-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/