Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-homenet-front-end-naming-delegation-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 04 May 2015 08:50:19 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Home Networking Working Group of the IETF.

        Title           : Outsourcing Home Network Authoritative Naming Service
        Authors         : Daniel Migault
                          Wouter Cloetens
                          Chris Griffiths
                          Ralf Weber
	Filename        : draft-ietf-homenet-front-end-naming-delegation-02.txt
	Pages           : 33
	Date            : 2015-05-04

Abstract:
   CPEs are designed to provide IP connectivity to home networks.  Most
   CPEs assign IP addresses to the nodes of the home network which makes
   it a good candidate for hosting the naming service.  With IPv6, the
   naming service makes nodes reachable from the home network as well as
   from the Internet.

   However, CPEs have not been designed to host such a naming service
   exposed on the Internet.  This may expose the CPEs to resource
   exhaustion which would make the home network unreachable, and most
   probably would also affect the home network inner communications.

   In addition, DNSSEC management and configuration may not be well
   understood or mastered by regular end users.  Misconfiguration may
   also result in naming service disruption, thus these end users may
   prefer to rely on third party naming providers.

   This document describes a homenet naming architecture where the CPEs
   manage the DNS zone associated to its home network, and outsources
   the naming service and eventually the DNSSEC management on the
   Internet to a third party designated as the Public Authoritative
   Servers.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-homenet-front-end-naming-delegation/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-homenet-front-end-naming-delegation-02

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-homenet-front-end-naming-delegation-02

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/