Subject: I-D Action: draft-hansbury-sacm-oval-info-model-mapping-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 05 May 2015 13:21:41 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : OVAL and the SACM Information Model
        Authors         : Matthew Hansbury
                          Daniel Haynes
                          Juan Gonzalez
	Filename        : draft-hansbury-sacm-oval-info-model-mapping-00.txt
	Pages           : 22
	Date            : 2015-05-05

Abstract:
   The OVAL community has spent more than ten years developing and
   employing the OVAL Language.  During this time, the community has
   made a number of design decisions and learned a number of lessons
   that should be leveraged as next generation endpoint posture
   assessment is formulated.  There are a number of places throughout
   the SACM Information Model document that could be fulfilled by
   portions of the OVAL Language, either in its current state or, in
   some cases, with modifications.  Another output of the work executed
   under the OVAL project is a number of lessons that are applicable to
   the SACM work.  These lessons include a clear separation of data
   collection and evaluation; a call to focus on ensuring both primary
   source vendors and third party security experts feel invited to the
   discussion and are empowered to leverage their unique domain
   knowledge; and to strive for simplicity and flexibility, where
   possible.  Finally, the OVAL community has a set of clear
   recommendations with respect to which parts of OVAL should be used by
   SACM as a means to make best use of the efforts of those that have
   worked on and supported OVAL over the past ten years.  Those
   recommendations are:

   o  Use the OVAL System Characteristics Model as a base data model for
      at least one way to provide data collection.

   o  Use the OVAL Definitions Model in parts as a base data model for
      both evaluation and collection guidance.

   o  Do not use the OVAL Results Model for a data model to encode
      evaluation results.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-hansbury-sacm-oval-info-model-mapping/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-hansbury-sacm-oval-info-model-mapping-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/