Subject: I-D Action: draft-dejong-decentralized-sharing-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 29 May 2015 07:54:44 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Decentralized Sharing
        Authors         : Michiel B. de Jong
                          Paul Tran-Van
	Filename        : draft-dejong-decentralized-sharing-00.txt
	Pages           : 21
	Date            : 2015-05-29

Abstract:
This draft describes the steps and challenges of sharing documents
between persons, using internet-connected servers. We investigate the
situation where a document exists on a server to which the sender has
access through some software application, but the recipient(s) don't.
All recipient(s) do, however, have access to software applications that
run on least one other server.

We discuss existing and proposed methods for the sender to initiate the
communication, for each recipient to become aware of the sender's intent
to share a document, for each recipient to access the document directly,
for the document contents to be transmitted to server(s) to which the
recipient(s) have access, for the sender to make and announce changes in
the document after it was initially sent, and for the recipient(s) to
communicate comments and proposed changes to the document back to the
sender.

We also discuss how semantics of the document may be communicated,
and how versioning conflicts may then in some cases be resolved
programmatically. Given that users of personal servers don't all run
the same compatible software on their server, the sending application
needs to discover which application-level protocols are supported by the
receiving application(s).

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-dejong-decentralized-sharing/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-dejong-decentralized-sharing-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/