Subject: I-D Action: draft-slevinski-signwriting-text-05.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 12 May 2015 17:41:37 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : The SignPuddle Standard for SignWriting Text
        Author          : Stephen E Slevinski
	Filename        : draft-slevinski-signwriting-text-05.txt
	Pages           : 44
	Date            : 2015-05-12

Abstract:
   For concreteness, because the universal character set is not yet
   universal, and because an international standard for the internet
   community should be documented and stable, this I-D has been released
   with the intention of producing an RFC to document the character use
   and naming conventions of the SignWriting community on the Internet.

   The SignWriting Script is an international standard for writing sign
   languages by hand or with computers.  From education to research,
   from entertainment to religion, SignWriting has proven useful because
   people are using it to write signed languages.  The SignWriting
   Script has two major families: Block Printing for the reader and
   Handwriting for the writer.

   Formal SignWriting uses ASCII strings to name logographic signs.  The
   mathematical names are explained with tokens and regular expression
   patterns.  Symbol keys reference the symbols of the International
   SignWriting Alphabet 2010.  Coordinates define X and Y number values
   for 2-dimensional placement.  Signs are written in a spatial SignBox,
   where each symbol is positioned with a 2-dimension coordinate.  For
   sorting, each sign can have an optional temporal sequence of symbols
   that is outside of the SignBox and the visible text.  To create
   sentences, completed signs are written sequentially, interspersed
   with punctuation symbols.

   The query language of Formal SignWriting uses a lite markup, similar
   to FSW, to define a variety of searching possibilities.  The spatial
   SignBox can be searched for symbols or ranges of symbols.  For each
   symbol or range, the search can specify if the symbol only needs to
   be found somewhere in the SignBox, or if the symbol needs to be found
   near certain coordinates.  The temporal sequence can be searched for
   starting symbols, written as a sequential list of symbols and ranges
   of symbols.  When searching the temporal sequence, the search results
   will be limited to signs that start with a matching temporal
   sequence.  Each query string is transformed into one or more regular
   expressions.  The regular expressions are used to quickly search
   large amounts of data.

   SignWriting 2010 is the modern implementation and international
   specification of the SignWriting script for the internet community
   that includes TrueType Fonts and a compact JavaScript library.
   SignMaker is a standards based editor, utilizing HTML, CSS,
   JavaScript, SVG, TrueType Fonts, and PNG images.  SignMaker can be
   used to create a private dictionary or to view dozens of sign
   language dictionaries derived from SignPuddle Online.

   For Unicode, there are several encodings possibilities.  Formal
   SignWriting is UTF-8.  The plane 15 encoding is isomorphic with
   Formal SignWriting strings, using 3 characters for each symbol, along
   with structural marker characters and number characters.  The plane
   16 encoding is focused on the symbols only, using 1 character for
   each symbol.  The Unicode 8 specification uses 1 to 3 characters on
   plane 1 to name each symbol of the International SignWriting Alphabet
   2010.

   Three appendices discuss additional topics to the standard.  The
   first discusses the Modern SignWriting theory and example document,
   stable since January 12, 2012.  The second discusses the symbol
   encoding of the International SignWriting Alphabet 2010.  The third
   discusses the SignPuddle Standards: licences, infrastructure, and
   compatibility.

   This memo concretely defines a conceptual character encoding map for
   the Internet community.  It is published for reference, examination,
   implementation, and evaluation.  Distribution of this memo is
   unlimited.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-slevinski-signwriting-text/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-slevinski-signwriting-text-05

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-slevinski-signwriting-text-05

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/