Subject: I-D Action: draft-gandhewar-dhc-relay-initiated-release-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2015 23:23:14 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : DHCP Relay Initiated Release
        Author          : Sunil M. Gandhewar
	Filename        : draft-gandhewar-dhc-relay-initiated-release-00.txt
	Pages           : 10
	Date            : 2015-06-28

Abstract:
   The Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) is initiated by a DHCP
   client.  A DHCP server can force DHCP client to send DHCPRENEW by
   sending a DHCPFORCERENEW message.  There may be multiple DHCP network
   devices connected in between a DHCP client and a server, each one
   reserving resources for the DHCP client.  There are no DHCP messages
   that a relay can initiate in order to control the client binding.

   A DHCP client may not always send a DHCPRELEASE message when it no
   longer needs the IP address.  This document specifies a way to
   request release message to be initiated by an intermediate DHCP
   network device, e.g.  DHCP relay, on behalf of DHCP client.  This
   helps relinquish network resources sooner than the lease expiration
   time.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-gandhewar-dhc-relay-initiated-release/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-gandhewar-dhc-relay-initiated-release-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/