Subject: I-D Action: draft-boucadair-hops-capability-discovery-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2015 22:49:01 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Discovering the Capabilities of Flow-Aware Service Functions (a.k.a. Middleboxes): A PCP-based Approach
        Authors         : Mohamed Boucadair
                          Christian Jacquenet
	Filename        : draft-boucadair-hops-capability-discovery-00.txt
	Pages           : 12
	Date            : 2015-06-30

Abstract:
   This document specifies a solution to discover the capabilities of a
   flow-aware service function.  The solution relies upon the use of the
   Port Control Protocol (PCP).

   This solution allows for applications to anticipate connectivity
   failures and to proceed with countermeasures (e.g., create a mapping
   for incoming connections, discover a mapping lifetime, discover an
   external IP address, avoid injecting some options in the outgoing
   packets, etc.).  The propsoed approach allows, for example, to
   discover whether an upstream flow-aware service function is MPTCP-
   friendly (that is, it does not strip MPTCP signals) or SCTP-
   compliant, whether it embeds a firewall function, etc. or a
   combination thereof.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-boucadair-hops-capability-discovery/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-boucadair-hops-capability-discovery-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/