Subject: I-D Action: draft-leeking-teas-actn-problem-statement-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 09 Jun 2015 16:29:25 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Problem Statement for Abstraction and Control of Transport Networks
        Authors         : Young Lee
                          Daniel King
                          Mohamed Boucadair
                          Ruiquan Jing
                          Luis Miguel Contreras Murillo
	Filename        : draft-leeking-teas-actn-problem-statement-00.txt
	Pages           : 25
	Date            : 2015-06-09

Abstract:
   Transport networks that provide connectivity and bandwidth for
   customer services have typically been static, lacking
   flexibility, and requiring long planning times when deploying new
   services. Network Providers and Service Providers have embraced
   technologies that allow separation of data plane and control plane,
   distributed signaling for path setup and protection, and centralized
   path computation for service planning and traffic engineering.
   Although these technologies provide significant benefits, they do
   not meet the growing need for network programmability, automation,
   resource sharing, and service elasticity necessary to meet
   operators' requirements for virtual network operation.

   Virtual network operation refers to the creation of a
   virtualized environment allowing operators to view the
   abstraction of the underlying multi-administration, multi-
   vendor, multi-technology networks and to operate, control, and
   manage these multiple networks as if a single virtualized network.
   Another dimension of virtual network operation is the use of
   common core transport network resources by multi-tenant service
   networks as a way of providing a virtualized infrastructure to
   flexibly offer new services and applications.

   The work effort investigating this problem space is known as
   Abstraction and Control of Transport Networks (ACTN). This
   document provides an ACTN problem description, a scope of work,
   and outlines the core objectives and requirements to facilitate
   virtual network operation.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-leeking-teas-actn-problem-statement/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-leeking-teas-actn-problem-statement-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/