Subject: I-D Action: draft-nitish-vrrp-bfd-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 25 Jun 2015 21:22:46 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Fast failure detection using peer learning in VRRP with BFD
        Authors         : Nitish Gupta
                          Aditya Dogra
                          Colin Docherty
	Filename        : draft-nitish-vrrp-bfd-01.txt
	Pages           : 18
	Date            : 2015-06-25

Abstract:
   This draft presents an enhanced failure detection mechanism to detect
   the failure of VRRP Master router on the LAN using a peer learning
   mode.  Typically the VRRP protocol is able to perform the transparent
   fail-over detection within a time period of 3 seconds with default
   fail-over timers.  Real-time protocols (voice/video/real-time
   transactional) require a maximum network disruption in the order of
   150ms for traffic on the network.  A failure detection and fail-over
   time of 150ms on conventionally configured VRRP protocol is extremely
   aggressive and may impact the reliability and performance of the
   network.

   A more efficient mechanism for real-time failure detection can be
   enabled in VRRP protocol by building a peer table, using a new VRRP
   Advert packet type.  This will help in forming a mesh of BFD
   sessions.  Once the BFD sessions are created, VRRP can receive faster
   notification of failures, without the overhead of increased VRRP
   protocol Advert messages.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-nitish-vrrp-bfd/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-nitish-vrrp-bfd-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-nitish-vrrp-bfd-01

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/