Subject: I-D Action: draft-homma-sfc-forwarding-methods-analysis-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 08 Jun 2015 02:30:57 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Analysis on Forwarding Methods for Service Chaining
        Authors         : Shunsuke Homma
                          Kengo Naito
                          Diego R. Lopez
                          Martin Stiemerling
                          David Dolson
                          Alexey Gorbunov
                          Nicolai Leymann
	Filename        : draft-homma-sfc-forwarding-methods-analysis-02.txt
	Pages           : 31
	Date            : 2015-06-08

Abstract:
   Some working groups of the IETF and other Standards Developing
   Organizations are now discussing use cases of a technology that
   enables data packets to traverse appropriate service functions
   located remotely through networks.  This is called Service Chaining
   in this document.  (Also, in Network Functions Virtualisation (NFV),
   a subject that forwarding packets to required service functions in
   appropriate order is called VNF Forwarding Graph.)  This draft does
   not focus only on SFC method, and thus, use the term "Service
   Chaining."  SFC may be one of approaches to realize Service Chaining.
   There are several Service Chaining methods to forward data packets to
   service functions, and the applicable methods will vary depending on
   the service requirements of individual networks.

   This document presents the results of analyzing packet forwarding
   methods and path selection patterns for achieving Service Chaining.
   For forwarding data packets to the appropriate service functions,
   distribution of route information and steering data packets following
   the route information, are required.  Examples of route information
   are packet identifier and the routing configurations based on the
   identifier.  Also, forwarding functions are required to decide the
   path according to the route information.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-homma-sfc-forwarding-methods-analysis/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-homma-sfc-forwarding-methods-analysis-02

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-homma-sfc-forwarding-methods-analysis-02

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/