Subject: I-D Action: draft-dljewett-forwardlinkprotocol-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2015 09:54:15 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Filename:
        Author          : Don L. Jewett
	Filename        : draft-dljewett-forwardlinkprotocol-00.txt
	Pages           : 73
	Date            : 2015-06-15

Abstract:
   *Short* Description:
   This Protocol automates creation and storage of Internet Links and
   BackLinks, together with enhanced MetaData, by individual,
   independent WebSites.   The MetaData is displayed to Readers in
   SortableTables.  The information in the SortableTables will be used
   by Readers to decide whether to follow Links and BackLinks that they
   encounter in using the Web, and will speed development of Knowledge
   based upon Web- Information.  The Categories in the Tables are guided
   by the interests of the Readers, and differ between WebSites hosting
   different topics.

   The Protocol is designed to be implemented on individual WebSites; it
   does not require a centralized server nor top-down supervision.

   *Longer* Description:
   The FL-P (ForwardLink-Protocol) provides new communication
   conventions by which two WebSites exchange information and MetaData
   to provide easy and useful means for Article-Readers to decide
   whether to follow a Link from one Article to the another.  A
   *RetroLink* takes the Reader to a citED Older-Text, from a citING
   Newer-Text.  A *ForwardLink* takes the Reader to the citING Newer-
   Text, from a citED Older-Text.

      (NOTE: The words "Older" and "Newer" apply to the *Text*, *not* to
      the *Article* or *WebSite*.  The adjectives "Forward" and "Retro"
      refer to the point-of-view of the Reader *when reading* the text
      that contains the Link.  The necessity for this new terminology is
      explained in the body of the proposal.)

   Text-specific and Article-specific MetaData are presented to the
   Reader in SortableTables whose organization is determined by the
   Reader.  The Reader's choices in data-categories and sorting are
   saved in Cookies on the Reader's Computer.  These features aid the
   Reader in organizing the information of the SortableTables so as to
   decide whether to follow a displayed Link or not.  These features
   increase the Reader's efficiency in searching for information on the
   Web.

   ForwardLinks will significantly increase the utility of the Web for
   scholars, thus enhancing Knowledge creation based upon Web-
   Information.  Additionally, ForwardLinks will *increase the value* of
   open-access, online archives (of both Publishers and Libraries).
   Such archives, will, over time, collect increasing numbers of
   valuable ForwardLinks that point to newer developments in a field,
   which is critical information for further progress.

   ForwardLinks are based upon "human judgments of importance".  For
   example, ForwardLinks may well occur between two Articles that do
   *not* share *any* duplicate words or phrases.  Such Linkages *cannot
   be discovered* with *present WebSearch techniques*.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-dljewett-forwardlinkprotocol/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-dljewett-forwardlinkprotocol-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/