Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-dprive-start-tls-for-dns-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 05 Jul 2015 23:46:29 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the DNS PRIVate Exchange Working Group of the IETF.

        Title           : TLS for DNS: Initiation and Performance Considerations
        Authors         : Zi Hu
                          Liang Zhu
                          John Heidemann
                          Allison Mankin
                          Duane Wessels
                          Paul Hoffman
	Filename        : draft-ietf-dprive-start-tls-for-dns-01.txt
	Pages           : 18
	Date            : 2015-07-05

Abstract:
   This document offers an approach to initiating TLS for DNS: use of a
   dedicated DNS-over-TLS port, and fallback to a mechanism for
   upgrading a DNS-over-TCP connection over the standard port (TCP/53)
   to a DNS-over-TLS connection.  Encryption provided by TLS eliminates
   opportunities for eavesdropping on DNS queries in the network, such
   as discussed in RFC 7258.  In addition it specifies two usage
   profiles for DNS-over-TLS.  Finally, it provides advice on
   performance considerations to minimize overheads from using TCP and
   TLS with DNS, pertaining to both approaches.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dprive-start-tls-for-dns/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dprive-start-tls-for-dns-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-dprive-start-tls-for-dns-01

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/