Subject: I-D Action: draft-bannister-dbis-mapping-07.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2015 02:55:01 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Directory-Based Information Services: Mapping Objects
        Author          : Mark R. Bannister
	Filename        : draft-bannister-dbis-mapping-07.txt
	Pages           : 15
	Date            : 2015-07-24

Abstract:
   This is one of several documents that describe the components within
   Directory-Based Information Services (DBIS).  DBIS provides a
   framework for the representation of data relating to TCP/IP and the
   UNIX system within [X.500] entries that have previously been stored
   in the Network Information Service [NIS]; so that they may be
   resolved with the Lightweight Directory Access Protocol [RFC4510].

   The intention of DBIS is to extend, and thereby replace both NIS and
   the experimental protocol for using LDAP as a Network Information
   Service (RFC2307), which have both achieved widespread adoption.

   DBIS consists of an LDAP schema, naming conventions and protocols to
   describe its use by DUAs requiring network service information.
   Client/server communication and server-side operations are entirely
   contained within the domain of LDAP.

   Key aspects of DBIS and improvements over RFC2307 are:

   - Schema is backwards compatible with NIS, including case sensitivity
     of key names.

   - Standardisation of mapping information to increase portability of
     DUA implementations and to reduce duplication of client
     configuration data.

   - Features added to increase flexibility in large complex
     environments:

      o Maps may be joined from data located in different areas of the
        Directory Information Tree (DIT).

      o Groups of DUAs may have variances in their data depending upon
        their host netgroup membership.

   - Modular design to allow separate parts of the system to be
     replaced, improved or augmented separately in the future.

   - Support added for automounter maps [draft-bannister-dbis-
     automounter-00].

   This document describes mapping objects used by DBIS to locate and
   transform service information stored within the DIT.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-bannister-dbis-mapping/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-bannister-dbis-mapping-07

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-bannister-dbis-mapping-07

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/