Subject: I-D Action: draft-agache-tcpm-sndbufadv-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2015 23:41:27 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : TCP Sendbuffer Advertising
        Authors         : Alexandru Agache
                          Costin Raiciu
	Filename        : draft-agache-tcpm-sndbufadv-00.txt
	Pages           : 7
	Date            : 2015-07-19

Abstract:
   Network operators have difficulty in understanding the end-to-end
   performance of TCP connections through their networks.  By observing
   packets at different vantage points on their path and maintaining per
   flow state, network operators can detect packet losses,
   retransmission and estimate RTTs, among other metrics.  A key
   information needed by networks is whether a connection is limited by
   the network or by the application.  This information is very
   difficult to accurately infer by passive measurements.

   We propose to advertise sendbuffer occupancy in TCP: each segment
   will carry the amount of backlogged data present in the sender's
   buffer.  This information allows networks to discern between
   application-limited, network-limited and flow-control limited flows,
   creating new avenues of network optimization.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-agache-tcpm-sndbufadv/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-agache-tcpm-sndbufadv-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/