Subject: I-D Action: draft-eddy-sdnrg-customer-filters-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2015 11:12:05 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Customer-Controlled Filtering Using SDN
        Authors         : Wesley Eddy
                          Gilbert Clark
                          Justin Dailey
	Filename        : draft-eddy-sdnrg-customer-filters-00.txt
	Pages           : 21
	Date            : 2015-07-24

Abstract:
   In order to reduce unwanted traffic and make efficient use of limited
   access link capacity or other network resources, it is advantageous
   if customers can filter traffic destined to them, within their
   upstream Internet Service Provider (ISP) networks.  The customer
   receiving traffic should have control over inbound filters, since
   their definition of desirable versus undesirable traffic may change
   over time (e.g. as new network services and protocols are
   introduced).  In this document, we describe an SDN-based means for
   customers to express computable logic to their ISPs in order to
   distinguish between desirable and undesirable inbound traffic.  These
   rules can be dynamically and securely updated within the running ISP
   network, with full automation One use case for this is in mitigating
   denial of service attacks.  Even if such filtering is only
   implemented in an ISP's access network, it preserves capacity on the
   customer access links for desirable traffic.  If implemented at the
   ISP's edge connections to other providers, or prior to ingress to
   their core, it can also preserve the ISP's own network capacity and
   other resources that may be threatened by attacks.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-eddy-sdnrg-customer-filters/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-eddy-sdnrg-customer-filters-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/