Subject: I-D Action: draft-aboba-avtcore-sfu-rtp-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2015 01:28:30 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Codec-Independent Selective Forwarding
        Author          : Bernard Aboba
	Filename        : draft-aboba-avtcore-sfu-rtp-00.txt
	Pages           : 15
	Date            : 2015-07-06

Abstract:
   Selective Forwarding Units (SFUs) supporting Scalable Video Coding
   (SVC) typically parse the RTP payload in the forwarding plane, and
   often utilize codec-specific control messages within the control
   plane.  As a result, the control and/or forwarding planes of these
   implementations need to be modified (sometimes substantially) in
   order to support additional video codecs.  With SFUs now supporting
   VP8 in addition to H.264/SVC, and with additional video codecs
   expected to become popular, the inflexibility of SFU designs that
   depend on RTP payload parsing has become increasingly apparent.  In
   addition, these designs cannot function where the RTP payload is
   inaccessible, such as when it is encrypted with a key not available
   to the SFU.  Based on a summary of SFU implementation practice, this
   document develops requirements for codec-independent SFUs.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-aboba-avtcore-sfu-rtp/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-aboba-avtcore-sfu-rtp-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/