Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-6man-deprecate-atomfrag-generation-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 04 Jul 2015 01:37:07 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the IPv6 Maintenance Working Group of the IETF.

        Title           : Deprecating the Generation of IPv6 Atomic Fragments
        Authors         : Fernando Gont
                          Will(Shucheng) Liu
                          Tore Anderson
	Filename        : draft-ietf-6man-deprecate-atomfrag-generation-03.txt
	Pages           : 10
	Date            : 2015-07-04

Abstract:
   The core IPv6 specification requires that when a host receives an
   ICMPv6 "Packet Too Big" message reporting an MTU smaller than 1280
   bytes, the host includes a Fragment Header in all subsequent packets
   sent to that destination, without reducing the assumed Path-MTU.  The
   simplicity with which ICMPv6 "Packet Too Big" messages can be forged,
   coupled with the widespread filtering of IPv6 fragments, results in
   an attack vector that can be leveraged for Denial of Service
   purposes.  This document briefly discusses the aforementioned attack
   vector, and formally updates RFC2460 such that generation of IPv6
   atomic fragments is deprecated, thus eliminating the aforementioned
   attack vector.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-6man-deprecate-atomfrag-generation/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-6man-deprecate-atomfrag-generation-03

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-6man-deprecate-atomfrag-generation-03

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/