Subject: I-D Action: draft-popovic-iprp-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2015 02:54:33 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : iPRP: Parallel Redundancy Protocol for IP Networks
        Authors         : Miroslav Popovic
                          Maaz Mohiuddin
                          Jean-Yves Le Boudec
                          Dan-Cristian Tomozei
	Filename        : draft-popovic-iprp-00.txt
	Pages           : 19
	Date            : 2015-08-10

Abstract:
   Reliable packet delivery within stringent delay-constraints is of
   paramount importance to industrial processes with hard real-time
   constraints, such as electrical grid monitoring. Because
   retransmission and coding techniques counteract the delay
   requirements, reliability is achieved through replication over
   multiple fail-independent paths. Existing solutions such as the
   parallel redundancy protocol (PRP) replicate all packets at the MAC
   layer over parallel paths. PRP works best in local area networks,
   e.g., sub-station networks. However, it is not viable for IP-layer
   wide-area networks which are key elements of emerging smart grids.
   Such a limitation on scalability, coupled with lack of security, and
   diagnostic inability, renders it unsuitable for reliable data-
   delivery in smart grids. To address this issue, a transport-layer
   design: IP parallel redundancy protocol (iPRP) is presented.
   Designing iPRP poses non-trivial challenges in the form of selective
   packet-replication, soft-state and multicast support. In addition to
   unicast, iPRP supports multicast, widely used in smart-grid networks.
   It replicates only time-critical UDP traffic. iPRP only requires a
   simple software installation on the end-devices. There are no other
   modifications needed to the existing monitoring application, end-
   device operating system or to the intermediate network devices. iPRP
   has a set of diagnostic tools for network debugging. With an
   implementation of iPRP in Linux, it is shown that iPRP supports
   multiple flows with minimal processing-and-delay overhead. It is
   publicly available and is currently being installed in the EPFL
   campus smart-grid.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-popovic-iprp/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-popovic-iprp-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/