Subject: I-D Action: draft-eddy-sdnrg-customer-filters-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2015 20:04:12 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Customer-Controlled Filtering Using SDN
        Authors         : Wesley Eddy
                          Gilbert Clark
                          Justin Dailey
	Filename        : draft-eddy-sdnrg-customer-filters-01.txt
	Pages           : 21
	Date            : 2015-08-11

Abstract:
   In order to reduce unwanted traffic and make efficient use of limited
   access link capacity or other network resources, it is advantageous
   to filter traffic upstream of the end-networks that the packets are
   destined to.  This document describes filtering within access
   Internet Service Provider (ISP) networks.  The ISP's end-network
   customers are given control over ISP filtering of traffic destined to
   their own prefixes, since each customer's definition of desirable
   versus undesirable traffic may change over time (e.g. as new network
   services and protocols are introduced).  In this document, we
   describe an SDN-based means for customers to express flow definitions
   to their ISPs in order to distinguish between desirable and
   undesirable inbound traffic.  These rules can be dynamically and
   securely updated within the running ISP network, with full automation
   One use case for this capability is in mitigating denial of service
   attacks.  Even if such filtering is only implemented in an ISP's
   access network, it preserves capacity on the customer access links
   for desirable traffic.  If implemented at the ISP's edge connections
   to other providers, or prior to ingress to their core, it can also
   preserve the ISP's own network capacity and other resources that may
   be threatened by attacks.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-eddy-sdnrg-customer-filters/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-eddy-sdnrg-customer-filters-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-eddy-sdnrg-customer-filters-01

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/