Subject: I-D Action: draft-dai-mpls-rsvp-te-mbb-label-reuse-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2015 01:59:00 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : MPLS RSVP-TE MBB Label Reuse
        Authors         : Minjie Dai
                          Ebben Aries
                          Muhammad Nauman Chaudhry
	Filename        : draft-dai-mpls-rsvp-te-mbb-label-reuse-01.txt
	Pages           : 6
	Date            : 2015-09-09

Abstract:
   The concept of "make-before-break (MBB)" while rerouting MPLS RSVP-TE
   tunnels is discussed in [RFC3209].  In the procedure that is
   outlined, the behaviour of downstream label assignment for the new
   LSP (new tunnel instance) is not well defined.  As a general
   practice, a different label is assigned by each downstream router and
   advertised to the upstream router in the RESV message for the new
   LSP; this results in a separate end-to-end data-plane path for the
   new LSP (with the exception of PHP LSPs or UHP LSP with explicit
   label on the last hop).  The consequence of this practice is that the
   label entry gets added/deleted in the LFIB at every non-ingress
   router along the LSP path during MBB.  Also, the ingress router would
   need to update all the applications using this LSP when switching to
   the new tunnel instance, as the new tunnel instance uses different
   outgoing label.  This in turn may also cause other elements of the
   network which are dependant on the LSP to do the update.

   Such network churn can be avoided or reduced if the same label can
   be re-used (kept intact) wherever it is affecting neither the routing
   functionalities nor the data path verification of each instance.
   This document proposes a set of procedures to facilitate label reuse
   when there is a total or partial path overlap between the two tunnel
   instances during MBB.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-dai-mpls-rsvp-te-mbb-label-reuse/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-dai-mpls-rsvp-te-mbb-label-reuse-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-dai-mpls-rsvp-te-mbb-label-reuse-01

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/