Subject: I-D Action: draft-whyte-select-pkc-qsh-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2015 19:42:03 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Criteria for selection of public-key cryptographic algorithms for quantum-safe hybrid cryptography
        Authors         : John M. Schanck
                          William Whyte
                          Zhenfei Zhang
	Filename        : draft-whyte-select-pkc-qsh-00.txt
	Pages           : 14
	Date            : 2015-09-20

Abstract:
   Authenticated key exchange mechanisms instantiated with cryptosystems
   based on integer factorization, finite field discrete log, or
   elliptic curve discrete log, are believed to be secure now but are
   vulnerable to a harvest-then-decrypt attack where an attacker who
   cannot currently break the mechanism records the traffic anyway, then
   decrypts it at some point in the future when quantum computers become
   available.  The Quantum-safe Hybrid approach is a modular design,
   allowing any authenticated key exchange mechanism to be protected
   against the harvest-then-decrypt attack by exchanging additional
   secret material protected with an ephemeral key for a quantum-safe
   public key cryptographic algorithm and including that secret material
   in the Key Derivation Function (KDF) run at the end of the key
   exchange.  This approach has been proposed in TLS as the Quantum-safe
   Hybrid handshake mechanism for Transport Layer Security protocol
   (QSH_TLS).  This document provides a guideline to criteria for
   selecting public key encryption algorithms approved for experimental
   use in the quantum safe hybrid setting.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-whyte-select-pkc-qsh/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-whyte-select-pkc-qsh-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/