Subject: I-D Action: draft-jjmb-v6ops-unique-ipv6-prefix-per-host-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2015 12:50:01 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Unique IPv6 Prefix Per Host
        Authors         : John Jason Brzozowski
                          Gunter Van De Velde
	Filename        : draft-jjmb-v6ops-unique-ipv6-prefix-per-host-00.txt
	Pages           : 14
	Date            : 2015-10-19

Abstract:
   In some IPv6 environments the need has arisen for hosts to be able to
   utilise a unique IPv6 prefix even though the link or media may be
   shared.  Typically hosts (subscribers) on a shared network, like Wi-
   Fi or Ethernet, will acquire unique IPv6 addresses from a common IPv6
   prefix that is allocated or assigned for use on a specific link.
   Benefits of a unique IPv6 prefix compared to a unique IPv6 address
   from the service provider are going from enhanced subscriber
   management to improved isolation between subscribers.

   In most deployments today IPv6 address assignment from a single IPv6
   prefix on a shared network is done by either using IPv6 stateless
   address auto-configuration (SLAAC) and/or stateful DHCPv6.  While
   this is still viable and operates as designed there are some large
   scale environments where this concept introduces significant
   performance challenges and implications, specifically related to IPv6
   router and neighbor discovery.  This document outlines an approach
   utilising existing IPv6 protocols to allow hosts to be assigned a
   unique IPv6 prefix (instead of a unique IPv6 address from a shared
   IPv6 prefix).

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-jjmb-v6ops-unique-ipv6-prefix-per-host/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-jjmb-v6ops-unique-ipv6-prefix-per-host-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/