Subject: I-D Action: draft-adpkja-dnsop-special-names-problem-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2015 16:26:08 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Problem Statement for the Reservation of Top-Level Domains in the Special-Use Domain Names Registry
        Authors         : Joe Abley
                          Peter Koch
                          Alain Durand
	Filename        : draft-adpkja-dnsop-special-names-problem-00.txt
	Pages           : 12
	Date            : 2015-10-19

Abstract:
   The dominant protocol for name resolution on the Internet is the
   Domain Name System (DNS).  However, other protocols exist that are
   fundamentally different from the DNS, but which have syntactically-
   similar namespaces.

   When an end-user triggers resolution of a name on a system which
   supports multiple, different protocols for name resolution, it is
   desirable that the protocol to be used is unambiguous, and that
   requests intended for one protocol are not inadvertently addressed
   using another.

   [RFC6761] introduced a framework by which, under certain
   circumstances, a particular domain name could be acknowledged as
   being special.  This framework has been used to make top-level domain
   reservations, that is, particular top-level domains that should not
   be used within the DNS to accommodate parallel use of non-DNS name
   resolution protocols by end-users and avoid the possibility of
   namespace collisions.

   Various challenges have become apparent with this application of the
   guidance provided in [RFC6761].  This document aims to document those
   challenges in the form of a problem statement, to facilitate further
   discussion of potential solutions.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-adpkja-dnsop-special-names-problem/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-adpkja-dnsop-special-names-problem-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/