Subject: I-D Action: draft-tiloca-dice-secure-groupcomm-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2015 05:57:11 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Secure Two-Way DTLS-Based Group Communication in the IoT
        Authors         : Marco Tiloca
                          Shahid Raza
                          Kirill Nikitin
                          Sandeep S. Kumar
	Filename        : draft-tiloca-dice-secure-groupcomm-00.txt
	Pages           : 35
	Date            : 2015-10-14

Abstract:
   CoAP has emerged as the de-facto IoT standard for communication
   involving resource-constrained devices composing Low-power and Lossy
   Networks (LLNs). CoAP mandates the adoption of the DTLS protocol to
   secure unicast communication. However, in several IoT application
   scenarios involving a group of multiple devices, the adoption of CoAP
   multicast communication through IPv6 results in a number of
   advantages, especially in terms of performance and scalability. Yet,
   CoAP does not specify how to secure multicast group communication in
   an interoperable way. This draft presents a method to secure
   communication in a multicast group, through an adaptation of the DTLS
   record layer. In particular, group members rely on the same group
   keying material in order to secure both request messages sent via
   multicast and possible unicast messages sent as response. Since the
   group keying material is provided upon joining the group, all group
   members are not required to perform any DTLS handshake with each
   other. The proposed method makes it possible to provide either group
   authentication or source authentication of secured messages.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-tiloca-dice-secure-groupcomm/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-tiloca-dice-secure-groupcomm-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/