Subject: I-D Action: draft-iab-filtering-considerations-08.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2015 19:34:45 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Internet Architecture Board Working Group of the IETF.

        Title           : Technical Considerations for Internet Service Blocking and Filtering
        Authors         : Richard Barnes
                          Alissa Cooper
                          Olaf Kolkman
                          Dave Thaler
	Filename        : draft-iab-filtering-considerations-08.txt
	Pages           : 33
	Date            : 2015-10-19

Abstract:
   The Internet is structured to be an open communications medium.  This
   openness is one of the key underpinnings of Internet innovation, but
   it can also allow communications that may be viewed as undesirable by
   certain parties.  Thus, as the Internet has grown, so have mechanisms
   to limit the extent and impact of abusive or objectionable
   communications.  Recently, there has been an increasing emphasis on
   "blocking" and "filtering," the active prevention of such
   communications.  This document examines several technical approaches
   to Internet blocking and filtering in terms of their alignment with
   the overall Internet architecture.  When it is possible to do so, the
   approach to blocking and filtering that is most coherent with the
   Internet architecture is to inform endpoints about potentially
   undesirable services, so that the communicants can avoid engaging in
   abusive or objectionable communications.  We observe that certain
   filtering and blocking approaches can cause unintended consequences
   to third parties, and we discuss the limits of efficacy of various
   approaches.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-iab-filtering-considerations/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-iab-filtering-considerations-08

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-iab-filtering-considerations-08

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/