Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-ippm-model-based-metrics-07.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2015 16:07:06 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the IP Performance Metrics Working Group of the IETF.

        Title           : Model Based Metrics for Bulk Transport Capacity
        Authors         : Matt Mathis
                          Al Morton
	Filename        : draft-ietf-ippm-model-based-metrics-07.txt
	Pages           : 49
	Date            : 2015-10-19

Abstract:
   We introduce a new class of Model Based Metrics designed to assess if
   a complete Internet path can be expected to meet a predefined Target
   Transport Performance by applying a suite of IP diagnostic tests to
   successive subpaths.  The subpath-at-a-time tests can be robustly
   applied to key infrastructure, such as interconnects or even
   individual devices, to accurately detect if any part of the
   infrastructure will prevent paths traversing it from meeting the
   Target Transport Performance.

   For Bulk Transport Capacity, the IP diagnostics are built on test
   streams that mimic TCP over the complete path and statistical
   criteria for evaluating the packet transfer statistics of those
   streams.  The temporal structure of the test stream (bursts, etc)
   mimic TCP or other transport protocol carrying bulk data over a long
   path but are constructed to be independent of the details of the
   subpath under test, end systems or applications.  Likewise the
   success criteria evaluates the packet transfer statistics of the
   subpath against criteria determined by protocol performance models
   applied to the Target Transport Performance of the complete path.
   The success criteria also does not depend on the details of the
   subpath, end systems or application.

   Model Based Metrics exhibit several important new properties not
   present in other Bulk Transport Capacity Metrics, including the
   ability to reason about concatenated or overlapping subpaths.  The
   results are vantage independent which is critical for supporting
   independent validation of tests by comparing results from multiple
   measurement points.

   This document does not define the IP diagnostic tests, but provides a
   framework for designing suites of IP diagnostic tests that are
   tailored to confirming that infrastructure can meet the predetermined
   Target Transport Performance.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-ippm-model-based-metrics/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-ippm-model-based-metrics-07

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-ippm-model-based-metrics-07

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/