Subject: I-D Action: draft-gandhewar-dhc-relay-initiated-release-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 01 Oct 2015 09:07:47 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : DHCP Relay Initiated Release
        Author          : Sunil M. Gandhewar
	Filename        : draft-gandhewar-dhc-relay-initiated-release-01.txt
	Pages           : 11
	Date            : 2015-10-01

Abstract:
   The Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) is initiated by a DHCP
   client.  A DHCP server can force DHCP client to send DHCPRENEW by
   sending a DHCPFORCERENEW message.  There may be multiple DHCP network
   devices connected in between a DHCP client and a server, each one
   reserving resources for the DHCP client.  There are no DHCP messages
   that a relay can initiate in order to control the client binding.

   A DHCP client may not always send a DHCPRELEASE message when it no
   longer needs the IP address and network resources for the associated
   services it is using.  This document specifies a way to request
   release message to be initiated by an intermediate DHCP network
   device, e.g.  DHCP relay, on behalf of DHCP client.  This helps to
   relinquish network resources sooner than the lease expiration time.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-gandhewar-dhc-relay-initiated-release/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-gandhewar-dhc-relay-initiated-release-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-gandhewar-dhc-relay-initiated-release-01

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/