Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-6man-predictable-fragment-id-10.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 2015 02:09:40 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the IPv6 Maintenance Working Group of the IETF.

        Title           : Security Implications of Predictable Fragment Identification Values
        Author          : Fernando Gont
	Filename        : draft-ietf-6man-predictable-fragment-id-10.txt
	Pages           : 19
	Date            : 2015-10-09

Abstract:
   IPv6 specifies the Fragment Header, which is employed for the
   fragmentation and reassembly mechanisms.  The Fragment Header
   contains an "Identification" field which, together with the IPv6
   Source Address and the IPv6 Destination Address of a packet,
   identifies fragments that correspond to the same original datagram,
   such that they can be reassembled together by the receiving host.
   The only requirement for setting the "Identification" field is that
   the corresponding value must be different than that employed for any
   other fragmented packet sent recently with the same Source Address
   and Destination Address.  Some implementations use a simple global
   counter for setting the Identification field, thus leading to
   predictable Identification values.  This document analyzes the
   security implications of predictable Identification values, and
   provides implementation guidance for selecting the Identification
   field of the Fragment Header, such that the aforementioned security
   implications are mitigated.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-6man-predictable-fragment-id/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-6man-predictable-fragment-id-10

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-6man-predictable-fragment-id-10

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/