Subject: I-D Action: draft-briscoe-tsvwg-ecn-l4s-id-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 2015 16:06:40 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Identifying Modified Explicit Congestion Notification (ECN) Semantics for Ultra-Low Queuing Delay
        Authors         : Koen De Schepper
                          Bob Briscoe
                          Ing-jyh Tsang
	Filename        : draft-briscoe-tsvwg-ecn-l4s-id-00.txt
	Pages           : 22
	Date            : 2015-10-19

Abstract:
   This specification defines the identifier to be used on IP packets
   for a new network service called low latency, low loss and scalable
   throughput (L4S).  It is similar to the original (or 'Classic')
   Explicit Congestion Notification (ECN).  'Classic' ECN marking was
   required to be equivalent to a drop, both when applied in the network
   and when responded to by a transport.  Unlike 'Classic' ECN marking,
   the network applies the L4S identifier more immediately and more
   aggressively than drop, and the transport response to each mark is
   reduced and smoothed relative to that for drop.  The two changes
   counterbalance each other so that the bit-rate of an L4S flow will be
   roughly the same as a 'Classic' flow under the same conditions.
   However, the much more frequent control signals and the finer
   responses to them result in ultra-low queuing delay without
   compromising link utilization, even during high load.  Examples of
   new active queue management (AQM) marking algorithms and examples of
   new transports (whether TCP-like or real-time) are specified
   separately.  The new L4S identifier is the key piece that enables
   them to interwork and distinguishes them from 'Classic' traffic.  It
   gives an incremental migration path so that existing 'Classic' TCP
   traffic will be no worse off, but it can be prevented from degrading
   the ultra-low delay and loss of the new scalable transports.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-briscoe-tsvwg-ecn-l4s-id/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-briscoe-tsvwg-ecn-l4s-id-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/