Subject: I-D Action: draft-irtf-gaia-alternative-network-deployments-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 13 Nov 2015 07:31:59 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Global Access to the Internet for All Working Group of the IETF.

        Title           : Alternative Network Deployments. Taxonomy, characterization, technologies and architectures
        Authors         : Jose Saldana
                          Andres Arcia-Moret
                          Bart Braem
                          Ermanno Pietrosemoli
                          Arjuna Sathiaseelan
                          Marco Zennaro
	Filename        : draft-irtf-gaia-alternative-network-deployments-02.txt
	Pages           : 31
	Date            : 2015-11-13

Abstract:
   This document presents a taxonomy of "Alternative Network
   deployments", and a set of definitions and shared properties.  It
   also surveys the technologies employed in these network deployments,
   and their differing architectural characteristics.

   The term "Alternative Network Deployments" includes a set of network
   access models that have emerged in the last decade with the aim of
   bringing Internet connectivity to people, using topological,
   architectural and business models different from the so-called
   "traditional" ones, where a company deploys or leases the network
   infrastructure for connecting the users, who pay a subscription fee
   to be connected and make use of it.

   Several initiatives throughout the world have built large scale
   Alternative Networks, using predominantly wireless technologies
   (including long distance) due to the reduced cost of using the
   unlicensed spectrum.  Wired technologies such as fiber are also used
   in some of these alternate networks.

   The emergence of these networks can be motivated by different causes
   such as the reluctance, or the impossibility, of network operators to
   provide wired and cellular infrastructures to rural/remote areas.  In
   these cases, the networks have self sustainable business models that
   provide more localized communication services as well as Internet
   backhaul support through peering agreements with traditional network
   operators.  Some other times, networks are built as a complement and
   an alternative to commercial Internet access provided by
   "traditional" network operators.

   The present classification considers different existing network
   models such as Community Networks, which are self-organized and
   decentralized networks wholly owned by the community; networks owned
   by individuals who act as Wireless Internet Service Providers
   (WISPs); networks owned by individuals but leased out to network
   operators who use them as a low-cost medium to reach the underserved
   population, and finally there are networks that provide connectivity
   by sharing wireless resources of the users.

   Different criteria are used in order to build a classification as
   e.g., the ownership of the equipment, the way the network is
   organized, the participatory model, the extensibility, if they are
   driven by a community, a company or a local stakeholder (public or
   private), etc.

   According to the developed taxonomy, a characterization of each kind
   of network is presented in terms of specific network characteristics
   related to architecture, organization, etc.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-irtf-gaia-alternative-network-deployments/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-irtf-gaia-alternative-network-deployments-02

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-irtf-gaia-alternative-network-deployments-02

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/