Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-dnssd-hybrid-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 05 Nov 2015 01:58:08 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Extensions for Scalable DNS Service Discovery  Working Group of the IETF.

        Title           : Hybrid Unicast/Multicast DNS-Based Service Discovery
        Author          : Stuart Cheshire
	Filename        : draft-ietf-dnssd-hybrid-02.txt
	Pages           : 25
	Date            : 2015-11-05

Abstract:
   Performing DNS-Based Service Discovery using purely link-local
   Multicast DNS enables discovery of services that are on the local
   link, but not (without some kind of proxy or similar special support)
   discovery of services that are outside the local link.  Using a very
   large local link with thousands of hosts facilitates service
   discovery, but at the cost of large amounts of multicast traffic.

   Performing DNS-Based Service Discovery using purely Unicast DNS is
   more efficient and doesn't require excessively large multicast
   domains, but requires that the relevant data be available in the
   Unicast DNS namespace.  This can be achieved by manual DNS
   configuration (as has been done for many years at IETF meetings to
   advertise the IETF Terminal Room printer) but this is labor
   intensive, error prone, and requires a reasonable degree of DNS
   expertise.  The Unicast DNS namespace can be populated with the
   required data automatically by the devices themselves, but that
   requires configuration of DNS Update keys on the devices offering the
   services, which has proven onerous and impractical for simple devices
   like printers and network cameras.

   Hence, to facilitate efficient and reliable DNS-Based Service
   Discovery, a compromise is needed that combines the ease-of-use of
   Multicast DNS with the efficiency and scalability of Unicast DNS.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnssd-hybrid/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dnssd-hybrid-02

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-dnssd-hybrid-02

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/