Subject: I-D Action: draft-tcs-coap-no-response-option-13.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 02 Nov 2015 02:29:24 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : CoAP option for no server-response
        Authors         : Abhijan Bhattacharyya
                          Soma Bandyopadhyay
                          Arpan Pal
                          Tulika Bose
	Filename        : draft-tcs-coap-no-response-option-13.txt
	Pages           : 17
	Date            : 2015-11-01

Abstract:
   There can be M2M scenarios where responses from server against
   requests from client might be considered redundant. This kind of
   open-loop exchange (with no response path from the server to the
   client) may be desired to minimize resource consumption in
   constrained systems while simultaneously updating a bulk of
   resources or updating a resource with a very high frequency. CoAP
   already provides a non-confirmable (NON) mode of message exchange
   where the server end-point does not respond with ACK. However,
   obeying the request/response semantics, the server end-point
   responds back with a status code indicating "the result of the
   attempt to understand and satisfy the request".

   This draft introduces a header option for CoAP called 'No-Response'.
   Using this option the client explicitly tells the server to suppress
   responses against the particular request. This option also provides
   granular control to enable suppression of a particular class or a
   combination of response-classes. This option may be effective for
   both unicast and multicast requests. Present draft also discusses
   few exemplary applications which benefit from this option.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-tcs-coap-no-response-option/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-tcs-coap-no-response-option-13

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-tcs-coap-no-response-option-13

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/