Subject: I-D Action: draft-rdsx1-intarea-pstnize-internet-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 2015 15:36:22 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : PSTNization of the Internet
        Authors         : Radi Romansky
                          Bhumip Khasnabish
	Filename        : draft-rdsx1-intarea-pstnize-internet-02.txt
	Pages           : 20
	Date            : 2015-12-30

Abstract:
   This draft discusses the features and functions that the Internet
   must support in order to be as robust and trustworthy as the public
   switched telephone network (PSTN, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
   Public_switched_telephone_network).  In general the PSTN-like
   features and functions include verifiable addressing and numbering,
   higher privacy and security, increased reliability (no more than
   around five minutes of unplanned outage over one year time period),
   survivability and resiliency, desirable level of scalability, alarms,
   correlation, and diagnosis capability, and local/international level
   of accountability.  Incorporation of these (or similar) features are
   expected to harden the Internet.

   The topics related to Internet hardening were discussed during IETF88
   technical plenary (http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/88/technical-
   plenary.html) in Vancouver, BC, Canada in Nov. 2013.  A follow-up
   joint W3C/IAB workshop on strengthening the Internet against
   pervasive monitoring (STRINT, https://www.w3.org/2014/strint) was
   held before IETF89 meeting in London, UK.  During the IETF90
   Technical Plenary Session
   (http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/90/minutes/minutes-90-iab-
   techplenary) on Monday, 21 July 2014 in Toronto, Canada the Technical
   Topic discussion focused on Network topology and geography.  The
   presentations revealed that for business relationship and/or policy
   reasons, local traffic routinely cross national borders for so called
   'efficient' routing, thereby facilitating monitoring, copying, and
   surveillance of traffic from users' sessions by both authorized and
   unauthorized entities.  All of the technical presentations are
   available at the website of IETF90
   proceedings(http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/90/slides/slides-90-iab-
   techplenary-9.pdf).

   In this draft, we discuss the requirements for PSTNization of
   Internet interfaces, protocols, services, and management and
   configuration capabilities.

   NOTE: We are looking for additional contributors to update the
   contents of Section 2 to Section 6.  If you are interested, please
   send an email to [email-masked]
   with the relevant Section Number and Section Title in the Subject
   line of your email with an estimated completion time.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-rdsx1-intarea-pstnize-internet/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-rdsx1-intarea-pstnize-internet-02

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-rdsx1-intarea-pstnize-internet-02

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/