Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-dnsop-edns-tcp-keepalive-05.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2016 02:34:19 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Domain Name System Operations Working Group of the IETF.

        Title           : The edns-tcp-keepalive EDNS0 Option
        Authors         : Paul Wouters
                          Joe Abley
                          Sara Dickinson
                          Ray Bellis
	Filename        : draft-ietf-dnsop-edns-tcp-keepalive-05.txt
	Pages           : 13
	Date            : 2016-01-06

Abstract:
   DNS messages between clients and servers may be received over either
   UDP or TCP.  UDP transport involves keeping less state on a busy
   server, but can cause truncation and retries over TCP.  Additionally,
   UDP can be exploited for reflection attacks.  Using TCP would reduce
   retransmits and amplification.  However, clients commonly use TCP
   only for retries and servers typically use idle timeouts on the order
   of seconds.

   This document defines an EDNS0 option ("edns-tcp-keepalive") that
   allows DNS servers to signal a variable idle timeout.  This
   signalling encourages the use of long-lived TCP connections by
   allowing the state associated with TCP transport to be managed
   effectively with minimal impact on the DNS transaction time.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnsop-edns-tcp-keepalive/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dnsop-edns-tcp-keepalive-05

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-dnsop-edns-tcp-keepalive-05

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/