Subject: I-D Action: draft-arkko-ietf-trends-and-observations-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 29 Feb 2016 13:10:02 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : IETF Trends and Observations
        Authors         : Jari Arkko
                          Alia Atlas
                          Avri Doria
                          Tobias Gondrom
                          Olaf Kolkman
                          Steve Olshansky
                          Benson Schliesser
                          Robert Sparks
                          Russ White
	Filename        : draft-arkko-ietf-trends-and-observations-00.txt
	Pages           : 20
	Date            : 2016-02-29

Abstract:
   While most of the work in the IETF is technical, the IETF should and
   does regularly examine itself, including its processes and goals, to
   determine if the technical community is truly serving the larger
   network engineering community effectively.  Changes in this area tend
   to be incremental, as is fitting for an organization with decades of
   experience and history in developing and managing the process of
   building technical specifications.

   The rapid and ongoing changes in the world have recently caused a
   number of IETF participants to examine the current processes and
   operation of the IETF, particularly in the context of the culture of
   the IETF.  This memo discusses some cultural and global trends in
   relation to the IETF's operating environment, how these trends might
   affect the operation of the IETF, and notes some topics for further
   exploration.

   Writing this memo has been inspired by involvement in various
   decisions that the IETF leadership has to take part in, often wishing
   to be able to draw more on understanding trends and their impact on
   the IETF.

   This memo is also input for discussion that the IETF community should
   have.

   The memo has no particular official standing, nor does it claim to
   represent more than the authors' thinking at the time of writing.
   There is no intent on the part of the authors for this to be
   published as a RFC.  Please direct discussion about this topic to the
   [email-masked] mailing list.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-arkko-ietf-trends-and-observations/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-arkko-ietf-trends-and-observations-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/