Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-avtcore-rtp-circuit-breakers-13.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2016 15:57:25 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Audio/Video Transport Core Maintenance of the IETF.

        Title           : Multimedia Congestion Control: Circuit Breakers for Unicast RTP Sessions
        Authors         : Colin Perkins
                          Varun Singh
	Filename        : draft-ietf-avtcore-rtp-circuit-breakers-13.txt
	Pages           : 24
	Date            : 2016-02-10

Abstract:
   The Real-time Transport Protocol (RTP) is widely used in telephony,
   video conferencing, and telepresence applications.  Such applications
   are often run on best-effort UDP/IP networks.  If congestion control
   is not implemented in the applications, then network congestion will
   deteriorate the user's multimedia experience.  This acts as a safety
   measure to prevent starvation of network resources denying other
   flows from access to the Internet, such measures are essential for an
   Internet that is heterogeneous and for traffic that is hard to
   predict in advance.  This document does not propose a congestion
   control algorithm; instead, it defines a minimal set of RTP circuit-
   breakers.  Circuit-breakers are conditions under which an RTP sender
   needs to stop transmitting media data in order to protect the network
   from excessive congestion.  It is expected that, in the absence of
   severe congestion, all RTP applications running on best-effort IP
   networks will be able to run without triggering these circuit
   breakers.  Any future RTP congestion control specification will be
   expected to operate within the constraints defined by these circuit
   breakers.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-avtcore-rtp-circuit-breakers/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-avtcore-rtp-circuit-breakers-13

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-avtcore-rtp-circuit-breakers-13

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/