Subject: I-D Action: draft-popovic-iprp-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 2016 18:11:28 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : iPRP: Parallel Redundancy Protocol for IP Networks
        Authors         : Miroslav Popovic
                          Maaz Mohiuddin
                          Jean-Yves Le Boudec
                          Dan-Cristian Tomozei
	Filename        : draft-popovic-iprp-01.txt
	Pages           : 19
	Date            : 2016-02-01

Abstract:
   Reliable packet delivery within stringent delay-constraints is of
   paramount importance to mission-critical computer applications with
   hard real-time constraints. Because retransmission and coding
   techniques counteract the delay requirements, reliability may be
   achieved through replication over multiple fail-independent paths.
   Existing solutions, such as the parallel redundancy protocol (PRP),
   replicate all packets at the MAC layer over parallel paths. PRP works
   best in local area networks. However, it is not viable for IP
   networks that are a key element of emerging mission-critical systems.
   This limitation, coupled with diagnostic inability and lack of
   security, renders PRP unsuitable for reliable data-delivery in these
   IP networks. To address this issue, we present a transport-layer
   solution: the IP parallel redundancy protocol (iPRP). Designing iPRP
   poses non-trivial challenges in the form of selective packet-
   replication, soft-state and multicast support. iPRP replicates only
   time-critical unicast or multicast UDP traffic. iPRP requires no
   modifications to the existing monitoring application, end-device
   operating system or to the intermediate network devices. It only
   requires a simple software installation on the end-devices. iPRP has
   a set of diagnostic tools for network debugging. With our
   implementation of iPRP in Linux, we show that iPRP supports multiple
   flows with minimal processing-and-delay overhead. It is being
   installed in our campus smart-grid network and is publicly available.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-popovic-iprp/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-popovic-iprp-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-popovic-iprp-01

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/