Subject: I-D Action: draft-taylor-mmusic-rtp-failover-problem-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 29 Feb 2016 04:33:42 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : RTP media failover: problem statement
        Authors         : Martin Taylor
                          Nic Larkin
	Filename        : draft-taylor-mmusic-rtp-failover-problem-00.txt
	Pages           : 16
	Date            : 2016-02-29

Abstract:
   Network-based functions that terminate large numbers of RTP media
   streams and that offer high availability, such as session border
   controllers or conference bridges, typically preserve the same IP
   address towards sources of RTP media across a failover event because
   it is impractical to signal a change of IP address towards large
   numbers of RTP sources sufficiently rapidly to keep media
   interruption intervals within acceptable limits.  The need to
   preserve the IP address of RTP media terminating functions across a
   failover event imposes architectural requirements that can be
   difficult or costly to meet, particularly in network function
   virtualization environments.  This document describes the problem,
   outlines the key requirements for a solution, and discusses the
   merits and shortcomings of various existing approaches to solving
   the problem, before arguing that a new solution is needed.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-taylor-mmusic-rtp-failover-problem/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-taylor-mmusic-rtp-failover-problem-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/