Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-avtcore-rtp-circuit-breakers-14.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2016 06:36:46 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Audio/Video Transport Core Maintenance of the IETF.

        Title           : Multimedia Congestion Control: Circuit Breakers for Unicast RTP Sessions
        Authors         : Colin Perkins
                          Varun Singh
	Filename        : draft-ietf-avtcore-rtp-circuit-breakers-14.txt
	Pages           : 24
	Date            : 2016-03-17

Abstract:
   The Real-time Transport Protocol (RTP) is widely used in telephony,
   video conferencing, and telepresence applications.  Such applications
   are often run on best-effort UDP/IP networks.  If congestion control
   is not implemented in these applications, then network congestion can
   lead to uncontrolled packet loss, and a resulting deterioration of
   the user's multimedia experience.  The congestion control algorithm
   acts as a safety measure, stopping RTP flows from using excessive
   resources, and protecting the network from overload.  At the time of
   this writing, however, while there are several proprietary solutions,
   there is no standard algorithm for congestion control of interactive
   RTP flows.

   This document does not propose a congestion control algorithm.  It
   instead defines a minimal set of RTP circuit breakers: conditions
   under which an RTP sender needs to stop transmitting media data, to
   protect the network from excessive congestion.  It is expected that,
   in the absence of long-lived excessive congestion, RTP applications
   running on best-effort IP networks will be able to operate without
   triggering these circuit breakers.  Future RTP congestion control
   specifications will be expected to operate within the constraints
   defined by these circuit breakers.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-avtcore-rtp-circuit-breakers/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-avtcore-rtp-circuit-breakers-14

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-avtcore-rtp-circuit-breakers-14

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/