Subject: I-D Action: draft-unify-nfvrg-devops-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 20 Mar 2016 14:29:00 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : DevOps for Software-Defined Telecom Infrastructures
        Authors         : Catalin Meirosu
                          Antonio Manzalini
                          Rebecca Steinert
                          Guido Marchetto
                          Ioanna Papafili
                          Kostas Pentikousis
                          Steven Wright
	Filename        : draft-unify-nfvrg-devops-04.txt
	Pages           : 24
	Date            : 2016-03-20

Abstract:
   Carrier-grade network management was optimized for environments built
   with monolithic physical nodes and involves significant deployment,
   integration and maintenance efforts from network service providers.
   The introduction of virtualization technologies, from the physical
   layer all the way up to the application layer, however, invalidates
   several well-established assumptions in this domain. This draft opens
   the discussion in NFVRG about challenges related to transforming the
   telecom network infrastructure into an agile, model-driven production
   environment for communication services. We take inspiration from data
   center DevOps regarding how to simplify and automate management
   processes for a telecom service provider software-defined
   infrastructure (SDI). Among the identified challenges, we consider
   scalability of observability processes and automated inference of
   monitoring requirements from logical forwarding graphs, as well as
   initial placement (and re-placement) of monitoring functionality
   following changes in flow paths enforced by the controllers. In
   another category of challenges, verifying correctness of behavior for
   network functions where flow rules are no longer necessary and
   sufficient for determining the forwarding state (for example,
   stateful firewalls or load balancers) is very difficult with current
   technology. Finally, we introduce challenges associated with
   operationalizing DevOps principles at scale in software-defined
   telecom networks in three areas related to key monitoring,
   verification and troubleshooting processes.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-unify-nfvrg-devops/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-unify-nfvrg-devops-04

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-unify-nfvrg-devops-04

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/