Subject: I-D Action: draft-stenn-ntp-ipv6-refid-hash-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2016 18:41:39 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Network Time Protocol IPv6 REFID Hash
        Author          : Harlan Stenn
	Filename        : draft-stenn-ntp-ipv6-refid-hash-00.txt
	Pages           : 4
	Date            : 2016-03-14

Abstract:
   RFC 5905 [RFC5905], section 7.3, "Packet Header Variables", defines
   the value to be used as the REFID for network associations.  For IPv4
   associations the IPv4 address is used, and for IPv6 associations four
   octets of the MD5 hash of the IPv6 are used.  Often, the REFID is
   simplistically and incorrectly used to identify upstream servers.
   While this works in an IPv4 network, it doesn't work for IPv6
   associations and may have other problems in an environment with mixed
   use of IPv4 and IPv6.  Specifically, the NTP Project has received a
   report where the generated IPv6 hash decoded to the IPv4 address of a
   different machine on the system peer's network.

   This proposal offers a way for a system to generate a REFID for a
   system peer that communicates over IPv6 that does not conflict with a
   valid IPv4-based REFID.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-stenn-ntp-ipv6-refid-hash/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-stenn-ntp-ipv6-refid-hash-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/