Subject: I-D Action: draft-adpkja-dnsop-special-names-problem-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2016 11:17:00 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Problem Statement for the Reservation of Top-Level Domains in the Special-Use Domain Names Registry
        Authors         : Joe Abley
                          Peter Koch
                          Alain Durand
                          Warren Kumari
	Filename        : draft-adpkja-dnsop-special-names-problem-02.txt
	Pages           : 18
	Date            : 2016-03-21

Abstract:
   The dominant protocol for name resolution on the Internet is the
   Domain Name System (DNS).  However, other protocols exist that are
   fundamentally different from the DNS, and may or may not share the
   same namespace.

   When an end-user triggers resolution of a name on a system which
   supports multiple, different protocols (or resolution mechanisms) for
   name resolution, it is desirable that the protocol used is
   unambiguous, and that requests intended for one protocol are not
   inadvertently answered using another.

   RFC 6761 introduced a framework by which, under certain
   circumstances, a particular domain name could be acknowledged as
   being special.  This framework has been used twice to reserve top-
   level domains (.local and .onion) that should not be used within the
   DNS, to avoid the possibility of namespace collisions in parallel use
   of non-DNS name resolution protocols.

   Various challenges have become apparent with this application of the
   guidance provided in RFC 6761.  This document aims to document those
   challenges in the form of a problem statement, to facilitate further
   discussion of potential solutions.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-adpkja-dnsop-special-names-problem/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-adpkja-dnsop-special-names-problem-02

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-adpkja-dnsop-special-names-problem-02

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/