Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-idr-route-leak-detection-mitigation-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2016 20:28:22 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Inter-Domain Routing of the IETF.

        Title           : Methods for Detection and Mitigation of BGP Route Leaks
        Authors         : Kotikalapudi Sriram
                          Doug Montgomery
                          Brian Dickson
                          Keyur Patel
                          Andrei Robachevsky
	Filename        : draft-ietf-idr-route-leak-detection-mitigation-02.txt
	Pages           : 19
	Date            : 2016-03-14

Abstract:
   In [I-D.ietf-grow-route-leak-problem-definition], the authors have
   provided a definition of the route leak problem, and also enumerated
   several types of route leaks.  In this document, we first examine
   which of those route-leak types are detected and mitigated by the
   existing origin validation (OV) [RFC 6811].  It is recognized that OV
   offers a limited detection and mitigation capability against route
   leaks.  This document proposes an enhancement that significantly
   extends the route-leak detection and mitigation capabilities of BGP.
   The solution involves carrying a per-hop route-leak protection (RLP)
   field in BGP updates.  The RLP field is proposed be carried in an
   optional transitive path attribute.  The solution is meant to be
   initially implemented as an enhancement of BGP without requiring
   BGPsec [I-D.ietf-sidr-bgpsec-protocol].  However, when BGPsec is
   deployed in the future, the solution can be incorporated in BGPsec,
   enabling cryptographic protection for the RLP field.  That would be
   one way of implementing the proposed solution in a secure way.  It is
   not claimed that the solution detects all possible types of route
   leaks but it detects several types, especially considering some
   significant route-leak occurrences that have been observed in recent
   years.  The document also includes a stopgap method for detection and
   mitigation of route leaks for an intermediate phase when OV is
   deployed but BGP protocol on the wire is unchanged.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-idr-route-leak-detection-mitigation/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-idr-route-leak-detection-mitigation-02

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-idr-route-leak-detection-mitigation-02

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/