Subject: I-D Action: draft-van-beijnum-multi-mtu-05.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2016 14:33:22 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Extensions for Multi-MTU Subnets
        Author          : Iljitsch van Beijnum
	Filename        : draft-van-beijnum-multi-mtu-05.txt
	Pages           : 24
	Date            : 2016-03-21

Abstract:
   In the early days of the internet, many different link types with
   many different maximum packet sizes were in use.  For point-to-point
   or point-to-multipoint links, there are still some other link types
   (PPP, ATM, Packet over SONET), but multipoint subnets are now almost
   exclusively implemented as Ethernets.  Even though the relevant
   standards mandate a 1500 byte maximum packet size for Ethernet, more
   and more Ethernet equipment is capable of handling packets bigger
   than 1500 bytes.  However, since this capability isn't standardized,
   it is seldom used today, despite the potential performance benefits
   of using larger packets.  This document specifies mechanisms to
   negotiate per-neighbor maximum packet sizes so that nodes on a
   multipoint subnet may use the maximum mutually supported packet size
   between them without being limited by nodes with smaller maximum
   sizes on the same subnet.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-van-beijnum-multi-mtu/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-van-beijnum-multi-mtu-05

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-van-beijnum-multi-mtu-05

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/