Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-bier-problem-statement-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 03 Apr 2016 23:53:30 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Bit Indexed Explicit Replication of the IETF.

        Title           : Bit Indexed Explicit Replication (BIER) Problem Statement
        Authors         : Greg Shepherd
                          Andrew Dolganow
                          Arkadiy Gulko
	Filename        : draft-ietf-bier-problem-statement-00.txt
	Pages           : 13
	Date            : 2016-04-03

Abstract:
   There is a need to simplify network operations for multicast
   services.  Current solutions require a tree-building control plane to
   build and maintain end-to-end tree state per flow, impacting router
   state capacity and network convergence times.  Multi-point tree
   building protocols are often considered complex to deploy and debug
   and may include mechanics from legacy use-cases and/or assumptions
   which no longer apply to the current use-cases.  When multicast
   services are transiting a provider network through an overlay, the
   core network has a choice to either aggregate customer state into a
   minimum set of core states resulting in flooding traffic to unwanted
   network end-points, or to map per-customer, per-flow tree state
   directly into the provider core state amplifying the network-wide
   state problem.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bier-problem-statement/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-bier-problem-statement-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/