Subject: I-D Action: draft-zhang-icnrg-icniot-requirements-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2016 16:58:45 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Requirements and Challenges for IoT over ICN
        Authors         : Yanyong Zhang
                          Dipankar Raychadhuri
                          Luigi Alfredo Grieco
                          Emmanuel Baccelli
                          Jeff Burke
                          Ravishankar Ravindran
                          Guoqiang Wang
                          Bengt Ahlgren
                          Olov Schelen
	Filename        : draft-zhang-icnrg-icniot-requirements-01.txt
	Pages           : 39
	Date            : 2016-04-22

Abstract:
   The Internet of Things (IoT) promises to connect billions of objects
   to the Internet.  After deploying many stand-alone IoT systems in
   different domains, the current trend is to develop a common, "thin
   waist" of protocols forming a horizontal unified, defragmented IoT
   platform.  Such a platform will make objects accessible to
   applications across organizations and domains.  Towards this goal,
   quite a few proposals have been made to build a unified host-centric
   IoT platform as an overlay on top of today's host-centric Internet.
   However, there is a fundamental mismatch between the host-centric
   nature of todays Internet and the information-centric nature of the
   IoT system.  To address this mismatch, we propose to build a common
   set of protocols and services, which form an IoT platform, based on
   the Information Centric Network (ICN) architecture, which we call
   ICN-IoT.  ICN-IoT leverages the salient features of ICN, and thus
   provides seamless mobility support, security, scalability, and
   efficient content and service delivery.

   This draft describes representative IoT requirements and ICN
   challenges to realize a unified ICN-IoT framework.  Towards this, we
   first identify a list of important requirements which a unified IoT
   architecture should have to support tens of billions of objects, then
   we discuss how the current IP-IoT overlay fails to meet these
   requirements, followed by discussion on suitability of ICN for IoT.

   Though we see most of the IoT requirements can be met by ICN, we
   discuss specific challenges ICN has to address to satisfy them.  Then
   we provide discussion of popular IoT scenarios including the "smart"
   home, campus, grid, transportation infrastructure, healthcare,
   Education, and Entertainment for completeness, as specific scenarios
   requires appropriate design choices and architectural considerations
   towards developing an ICN-IoT solution.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-zhang-icnrg-icniot-requirements/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-zhang-icnrg-icniot-requirements-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-zhang-icnrg-icniot-requirements-01

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/