Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-intarea-hostname-practice-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 11 May 2016 07:14:15 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Internet Area Working Group of the IETF.

        Title           : Current Hostname Practice Considered Harmful
        Authors         : Christian Huitema
                          Dave Thaler
                          Rolf Winter
	Filename        : draft-ietf-intarea-hostname-practice-02.txt
	Pages           : 10
	Date            : 2016-05-10

Abstract:
   Giving a hostname to your computer and publishing it as you roam from
   one network to another is the Internet equivalent of walking around
   with a name tag affixed to your lapel.  This current practice can
   significantly compromise your privacy, and something should change in
   order to mitigate these privacy threads.

   There are several possible remedies, such as fixing a variety of
   protocols or avoiding disclosing a hostname at all.  This document
   describes some of the protocols that reveal hostnames today and
   sketches another possible remedy, which is to replace static
   hostnames by frequently changing randomized values.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-intarea-hostname-practice/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-intarea-hostname-practice-02

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-intarea-hostname-practice-02

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/