Subject: I-D Action: draft-zhao-teas-pce-control-function-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 24 May 2016 14:31:54 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : An Architecture for Use of PCE and PCEP in a Network with Central Control
        Authors         : Adrian Farrel
                          Quintin Zhao
                          Robin Li
                          Chao Zhou
	Filename        : draft-zhao-teas-pce-control-function-01.txt
	Pages           : 21
	Date            : 2016-05-24

Abstract:
   The Path Computation Element (PCE) has become established as a core
   component of Software Defined Networking (SDN) systems.  It can
   compute optimal paths for traffic across a network for any definition
   of "optimal" and can also monitor changes in resource availability
   and traffic demands to update the paths.

   Conventionally, the PCE has been used to derive paths for MPLS Label
   Switched Paths (LSPs).  These paths are supplied using the Path
   Computation Element Communication Protocol (PCEP) to the head end of
   the LSP for signaling in the MPLS network.

   SDN has a far broader applicability than just signaled MPLS traffic
   engineered networks, and the PCE may be used to determine paths in a
   wide range of use cases including static LSPs, segment routing,
   service function chaining (SFC), and indeed any form of routed or
   switched network.  It is, therefore reasonable to consider PCEP as a
   general southbound control protocol for use in these environments to
   allow the PCE to be fully enabled as a central controller.

   This document briefly introduces the architecture for PCE as a
   central controller, examines the motivations and applicability for
   PCEP as a southbound interface, and introduces the implications for
   the protocol.  This document does not describe the use cases in
   detail and does not define protocol extensions: that work is left for
   other documents.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-zhao-teas-pce-control-function/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-zhao-teas-pce-control-function-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-zhao-teas-pce-control-function-01

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/