Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-core-etch-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 08 May 2016 23:37:48 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Constrained RESTful Environments of the IETF.

        Title           : Patch and Fetch Methods for Constrained Application Protocol (CoAP)
        Authors         : Peter van der Stok
                          Carsten Bormann
                          Anuj Sehgal
	Filename        : draft-ietf-core-etch-00.txt
	Pages           : 16
	Date            : 2016-05-08

Abstract:
   The existing Constrained Application Protocol (CoAP) methods only
   allow access to a complete resource.  This does not permit
   applications to access parts of a resource.  In case of resources
   with larger or complex data, or in situations where a resource
   continuity is required, replacing or requesting the whole resource is
   undesirable.  Several applications using CoAP will need to perform
   partial resource accesses.

   Similar to HTTP, the existing Constrained Application Protocol (CoAP)
   GET method only allows the specification of a URI and request
   parameters in CoAP options, not the transfer of a request payload
   detailing the request.  This leads to some applications to using POST
   where actually a cacheable, idempotent, safe request is desired.

   Again similar to HTTP, the existing Constrained Application Protocol
   (CoAP) PUT method only allows to replace a complete resource.  This
   also leads applications to use POST where actually a cacheable,
   possibly idempotent request is desired.

   This specification adds new CoAP methods, FETCH, to perform the
   equivalent of a GET with a request body; and the twin methods PATCH
   and iPATCH, to modify parts of an existing CoAP resource.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-core-etch/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-core-etch-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/