Subject: I-D Action: draft-briscoe-tsvwg-aqm-tcpm-rmcat-l4s-problem-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2016 07:23:47 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Low Latency, Low Loss, Scalable Throughput (L4S) Internet Service: Problem Statement
        Authors         : Bob Briscoe
                          Koen De Schepper
                          Marcelo Bagnulo
	Filename        : draft-briscoe-tsvwg-aqm-tcpm-rmcat-l4s-problem-01.txt
	Pages           : 23
	Date            : 2016-06-13

Abstract:
   This document motivates a new service that the Internet could provide
   to eventually replace best efforts for all traffic: Low Latency, Low
   Loss, Scalable throughput (L4S).  It is becoming common for _all_ (or
   most) applications being run by a user at any one time to require low
   latency.  However, the only solution the IETF can offer for ultra-low
   queuing delay is Diffserv, which only favours a minority of packets
   at the expense of others.  In extensive testing the new L4S service
   keeps average queuing delay under a millisecond for _all_
   applications even under very heavy load, without sacrificing
   utilization; and it keeps congestion loss to zero.  It is becoming
   widely recognized that adding more access capacity gives diminishing
   returns, because latency is becoming the critical problem.  Even with
   a high capacity broadband access, the reduced latency of L4S
   remarkably and consistently improves performance under load for
   applications such as interactive video, conversational video, voice,
   Web, gaming, instant messaging, remote desktop and cloud-based apps
   (even when all being used at once over the same access link).  The
   insight is that the root cause of queuing delay is in TCP, not in the
   queue.  By fixing the sending TCP (and other transports) queuing
   latency becomes so much better than today that operators will want to
   deploy the network part of L4S to enable new products and services.
   Further, the network part is simple to deploy - incrementally with
   zero-config.  Both parts, sender and network, ensure coexistence with
   other legacy traffic.  At the same time L4S solves the long-
   recognized problem with the future scalability of TCP throughput.

   This document explains the underlying problems that have been
   preventing the Internet from enjoying such performance improvements.
   It then outlines the parts necessary for a solution and the steps
   that will be needed to standardize them.  It points out opportunities
   that will open up, and sets out some likely use-cases, including
   ultra-low latency interaction with cloud processing over the public
   Internet.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-briscoe-tsvwg-aqm-tcpm-rmcat-l4s-problem/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-briscoe-tsvwg-aqm-tcpm-rmcat-l4s-problem-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-briscoe-tsvwg-aqm-tcpm-rmcat-l4s-problem-01

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/