Subject: I-D Action: draft-rashid-6lo-iid-assignment-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2016 20:41:42 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Designating 6LBR for IID Assignment
        Authors         : Abdur Rashid Sangi
                          Mach (Guoyi)Chen
                          Charles E. Perkins
	Filename        : draft-rashid-6lo-iid-assignment-01.txt
	Pages           : 11
	Date            : 2016-06-16

Abstract:
   In IPv6 Stateless Address Autoconfiguration (SLAAC), randomizing the
   interface identifier (IID) is a common practice to promote privacy.
   If there are a very large number of nodes, as has been discussed in
   several use cases, the effect will to proportionately increase the
   number of IIDs.  A duplicate address detection (DAD) cycle is needed
   for each configured IID, introducing more and more overhead into the
   network.  Each failed DAD requires the initiating node to regenerate
   a new IID and undergo the DAD cycle again.  This document proposes an
   optimized approach that requires 6LBR (6LoWPAN Border Router) to
   provide a unique IID, avoiding the potential duplication.
   Additionally, further optimizations are suggested to enable multiple
   concurrent DAD cycles and to return the suggested IID from 6LBR to
   6LN in a space-efficient manner.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-rashid-6lo-iid-assignment/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-rashid-6lo-iid-assignment-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-rashid-6lo-iid-assignment-01

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/