Subject: I-D Action: draft-toutain-6lpwa-ipv6-static-context-hc-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2016 15:33:43 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : 6LPWA Static Context Header Compression (SCHC) for IPV6 and UDP
        Authors         : Ana Minaburo
                          Laurent Toutain
	Filename        : draft-toutain-6lpwa-ipv6-static-context-hc-00.txt
	Pages           : 15
	Date            : 2016-06-06

Abstract:
   This document describes a header compression scheme for IPv6, IPv6/
   UDP based on static contexts.  This technique is especially tailored
   for LPWA networks and could be extended to other protocol stacks.

   During the IETF history several compression mechanisms have been
   proposed.  First mechanisms, such as RoHC, are using a context to
   store header field values and send smaller incremental differences on
   the link.  Values in the context evolve dynamically with information
   contained in the compressed header.  The challenge is to maintain
   sender's and receiver's contexts synchronized even with packet
   losses.  Based on the fact that IPv6 contains only static fields,
   6LoWPAN developed an efficient context-free compression mechanisms,
   allowing better flexibility and performance.

   The Static Context Header Compression (SCHC) combines the advantages
   of RoHC formal notation, which offers a great level of flexibility in
   the processing of fields, and 6LoWPAN behavior to elide fields that
   are known from the other side.  Static context means that values in
   the context field do not change during the transmission, avoiding
   complex resynchronization mechanisms, incompatible with LPWA
   characteristics.  In most of the cases, IPv6/UDP/CoAP headers are
   reduced to a small context identifier.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-toutain-6lpwa-ipv6-static-context-hc/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-toutain-6lpwa-ipv6-static-context-hc-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/