Subject: I-D Action: draft-briscoe-tsvwg-aqm-tcpm-rmcat-l4s-problem-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 03 Jun 2016 08:52:57 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Low Latency, Low Loss, Scalable Throughput (L4S) Internet Service: Problem Statement
        Authors         : Bob Briscoe
                          Koen De Schepper
                          Marcelo Bagnulo
	Filename        : draft-briscoe-tsvwg-aqm-tcpm-rmcat-l4s-problem-00.txt
	Pages           : 17
	Date            : 2016-06-03

Abstract:
   This document motivates a new service that the Internet could provide
   to eventually replace best efforts for all traffic: Low Latency, Low
   Loss, Scalable throughput (L4S).  It is becoming common for all (or
   most) applications being run by a user at any one time to require low
   latency, but the only solution the IETF can offer for ultra-low
   queuing latency is Diffserv, which only offers low latency for some
   packets at the expense of others.  Diffserv has also proved hard to
   deploy widely end-to-end.

   In contrast, a zero-config incrementally deployable solution has been
   demonstrated that keeps average queuing delay under a millisecond for
   _all_ applications even under very heavy load; and it keeps
   congestion loss to zero.  At the same time it solves the long-running
   problem with the scalability of TCP throughput.  Even with a high
   capacity broadband access, the resulting performance under load is
   remarkably and consistently improved for applications such as
   interactive video, conversational video, voice, Web, gaming, instant
   messaging, remote desktop and cloud-based apps.  This document
   explains the underlying problems that have been preventing the
   Internet from enjoying such performance improvements.  It then
   outlines the parts necessary for a solution and the steps that will
   be needed to standardize them.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-briscoe-tsvwg-aqm-tcpm-rmcat-l4s-problem/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-briscoe-tsvwg-aqm-tcpm-rmcat-l4s-problem-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/