Subject: I-D Action: draft-lapukhov-dataplane-probe-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2016 14:33:46 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Data-plane probe for in-band telemetry collection
        Authors         : Petr Lapukhov
                          Remy Chang
	Filename        : draft-lapukhov-dataplane-probe-01.txt
	Pages           : 14
	Date            : 2016-06-10

Abstract:
   Detecting and isolating network faults in IP networks has
   traditionally been done using tools like ping and traceroute (see
   [RFC7276]) or more complex systems built on similar concepts of
   active probing and path tracing.  While using active synthetic probes
   is proven to be helpful in detecting data-plane faults, isolating
   fault location is a much harder problem, especially in diverse
   networks with multiple active forwarding planes (e.g.  IP and MPLS).
   Moreover, existing end-to-end tools do not generally support
   functionality beyond dealing with packet loss - for example, they are
   hardly useful for detecting and reporting transient (i.e. milli- or
   even micro-second) network congestion.

   Modern network forwarding hardware can allow for more sophisticated
   data-plane functionality that provides substantial improvement to the
   isolation and identification capabilities of network elements.  For
   example, it has become possible to encode a snapshot of a network
   element's state within the packet payload as it transits the device.
   One example of such state would be queue depth on the egress port
   taken by that specific packet.  When combined with a unique device
   identifier embedded in the same packet, this could allow for precise
   time and topological identification of the the congested location
   within the network.

   This document proposes a format for requesting and embedding
   telemetry information in active probes, i.e. packet designated for
   actively testing the network while not carrying application traffic.
   These active probes could be conveyed over multiple protocols (ICMP,
   UDP, TCP, etc.) and the document does not prescribe any particular
   transport.  In addition, this document provides recommendations on
   handling the active probes by devices that do not support the
   required data-plane functionality.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-lapukhov-dataplane-probe/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-lapukhov-dataplane-probe-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-lapukhov-dataplane-probe-01

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/