Subject: I-D Action: draft-bormann-core-coap-sig-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 11 Jun 2016 06:15:15 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : CoAP Signaling Messages
        Authors         : Carsten Bormann
                          Klaus Hartke
	Filename        : draft-bormann-core-coap-sig-01.txt
	Pages           : 11
	Date            : 2016-06-11

Abstract:
   draft-ietf-core-coap-tcp-tls defines how to transport CoAP messages
   on reliable transports such as TCP, TLS, or WebSockets.

   All these underlying protocols have ways to set up connection
   properties and manage the connection.  In many cases, these ways
   cannot be used very well for managing CoAP's use of the connection.

   Signaling messages are a way to signal information that is about the
   connection.  They form a third basic kind of messages in CoAP, beyond
   requests and responses.  Message class 7 is used for signaling
   messages.

   Signaling messages are only relevant for the connection they appear
   in.  The present draft assumes reliable, sequence-preserving
   connections.  It is for further study whether signaling messages are
   needed or useful for DTLS connections.

   The present draft, when adopted, would resolve CoRE tickets #400
   (message sizes), #388 (by providing a foundation for a mechanism for
   version negotiation, once that is needed), #390 (connection close
   reason), #391 (server name indication), #394 (ping/pong).

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-bormann-core-coap-sig/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-bormann-core-coap-sig-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-bormann-core-coap-sig-01

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/