Subject: I-D Action: draft-stw-whatsinaname-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2016 16:37:23 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Some Considerations on the Choice of Naming in IETF Protocols
        Author          : Suzanne Woolf
	Filename        : draft-stw-whatsinaname-00.txt
	Pages           : 11
	Date            : 2016-07-08

Abstract:
   From time to time, networking protocols need to be able to name
   things used within the protocol, and resolve the names created or
   referenced.  It's common for protocol designers in this predicament
   to attempt to use domain names as the starting point for their
   systems of names, and the DNS as the starting point for name
   resolution.

   This is completely understandable-- domain names, and DNS resolution,
   are well-established in both the expectations of network users and
   developers, and well-supported by fielded software.  It also has
   significant limitations.

   This document deals principally with the questions a protocol
   designer or software developer should ask themselves about what
   behavior they want from the names they use in the context of a new
   protocol or scope for names.  Depending to the answers to these
   questions, the answer may be that domain names will not meet the
   constraints at hand.  Future versions of this draft will provide some
   comments on alternatives.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-stw-whatsinaname/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-stw-whatsinaname-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/