Subject: I-D Action: draft-aanchal4-ntp-mac-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2016 13:32:18 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Message Authentication Codes for the Network Time Protocol 
        Authors         : Aanchal Malhotra
                          Sharon Goldberg
	Filename        : draft-aanchal4-ntp-mac-00.txt
	Pages           : 7
	Date            : 2016-07-08

Abstract:
   The Network Time Protocol (NTP) RFC 5905 [RFC5905] uses a message
   authentication code (MAC) to cryptographically authenticate its UDP
   packets.  Currently, NTP packets are authenticated by appending a
   128-bit key to the NTP data, and hashing the result with MD5 to
   obtain a 128-bit tag.  However, as discussed in [BCK] and [RFC6151],
   this not a secure MAC.  As such, this draft considers different
   secure MAC algorithms for use with NTP, and evaluates their
   performance.  Given the security concerns, we also suggest
   deprecating the use of MD5 as defined in [RFC5905] for authenticating
   NTP packets.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-aanchal4-ntp-mac/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-aanchal4-ntp-mac-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/