Subject: I-D Action: draft-zhang-icnrg-iot-architecture-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2016 02:24:04 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : ICN based Architecture for IoT
        Authors         : Yanyong Zhang
                          Dipankar Raychadhuri
                          Luigi Alfredo Grieco
                          Sicari Sabrina
                          Hang Liu
                          Satyajayant Misra
                          Ravi Ravindran
	Filename        : draft-zhang-icnrg-iot-architecture-00.txt
	Pages           : 23
	Date            : 2016-07-07

Abstract:
   Internet of Things (IoT) promises to connect billions of objects to
   Internet.  Nowadays, the IoT landscape is very fragmented from both
   technological and service perspectives.  As a consequence, it is
   difficult to cross correlate data coming from heterogeneous contexts
   and build added value services on top of them.  For this reason, the
   current trend is to develop a unified de-fragmented IoT platform so
   that objects can be made accessible to applications across
   organizations and domains.  Towards this goal, quite a few proposals
   have been made to build a unified IoT platform as an overlay on top
   of today's Internet.  Such overlay solutions, however, inherit the
   same limitations of the IP protocol, in terms of mobility, security,
   scalability and communication reliability.  To address this problem,
   we propose a unified IoT platform based on the Information Centric
   Networking (ICN) architecture, which we call ICN-IoT [2].  ICN-IoT
   leverages the salient features of ICN, and thus provides seamless
   device-to-device (D2D) communication, mobility support, scalability,
   and efficient content and service delivery.  Furthermore, in order to
   guarantee the real diffusion of ICN-IoT architecture it is
   fundamental to deal with security and privacy requirements, since the
   system may handle sensitive information (e.g., user habits, devices
   location).  Note that ICN-IoT needs to manage the security
   requirements at the early stage of the design, representing all the
   involved entities and their relationships, in order to better
   understand their interactions and, consequently, apply the proper
   countermeasures to the possible security attacks (e.g., data
   violation, privacy violation, access attacks).

   This draft begins by motivating the need for an unified ICN-IoT
   platform to connect heterogenous IoT systems.  We then propose an
   ICN-IoT system architecture and middleware components which includes
   device/network-service discovery, naming service, IoT service
   discovery, data discovery, user registration, and content delivery.
   For all of these components, a secure solution is defined too.  We
   also provide discussions on inter-connecting heterogeneous ICN-IoT
   domains.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-zhang-icnrg-iot-architecture/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-zhang-icnrg-iot-architecture-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/