Subject: I-D Action: draft-unify-nfvrg-challenges-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2016 07:49:45 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Unifying Carrier and Cloud Networks: Problem Statement and Challenges
        Authors         : Robert Szabo
                          Andras Csaszar
                          Kostas Pentikousis
                          Mario Kind
                          Diego Daino
                          Zu Qiang
                          Hagen Woesner
	Filename        : draft-unify-nfvrg-challenges-04.txt
	Pages           : 20
	Date            : 2016-07-08

Abstract:
   The introduction of network and service functionality virtualization
   in carrier-grade networks promises improved operations in terms of
   flexibility, efficiency, and manageability.  In current practice,
   virtualization is controlled through orchestrator entities that
   expose programmable interfaces according to the underlying resource
   types.  Typically this means the adoption of, on the one hand,
   established data center compute/storage and, on the other, network
   control APIs which were originally developed in isolation.  Arguably,
   the possibility for innovation highly depends on the capabilities and
   openness of the aforementioned interfaces.  This document introduces
   in simple terms the problems arising when one follows this approach
   and motivates the need for a high level of programmability beyond
   policy and service descriptions.  This document also summarizes the
   challenges related to orchestration programming in this unified cloud
   and carrier network production environment.  A subsequent problem is
   the resource orchestration.  This is handled separately in
   [I-D.caszpe-nfvrg-orchestration-challenges] and will be merged in the
   next iteration of this document.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-unify-nfvrg-challenges/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-unify-nfvrg-challenges-04

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-unify-nfvrg-challenges-04

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/