Subject: I-D Action: draft-saldana-tsvwg-simplemux-05.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2016 07:47:10 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Simplemux. A generic multiplexing protocol
        Author          : Jose Saldana
	Filename        : draft-saldana-tsvwg-simplemux-05.txt
	Pages           : 14
	Date            : 2016-07-26

Abstract:
   The high amount of small packets present in nowaday's networks
   results in a low efficiency, when the size of the headers and the
   payload are in the same order of magnitude.  In some situations,
   multiplexing a number of small packets into a bigger one is desirable
   in order to improve the efficiency.  For example, a number of small
   packets can be sent together between a pair of machines if they share
   a common network path.  Thus, the traffic profile can be shifted from
   small to larger packets, reducing the network overhead and the number
   of packets per second to be managed by intermediate routers.

   This document describes Simplemux, a protocol able to encapsulate a
   number of packets belonging to different protocols into a single
   packet.  Small headers (separators) are added at the beginning of
   each multiplexed packet, including some flags, the length and a
   "Protocol" field.  This allows the inclusion of a number of packets
   belonging to different protocols (multiplexed packets) on a packet of
   another protocol (tunneling protocol).

   In order to reduce the overhead, the size of the multiplexing headers
   is kept very low (it may be a single byte when multiplexing small
   packets).

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-saldana-tsvwg-simplemux/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-saldana-tsvwg-simplemux-05

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-saldana-tsvwg-simplemux-05

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/