Subject: I-D Action: draft-xiang-alto-exascale-network-optimization-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2016 16:35:32 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Traffic Optimization for ExaScale Science Applications
        Authors         : Qiao Xiang
                          Harvey Newman
                          Greg Bernstein
                          Azher Mughal
                          Justas Balcas
	Filename        : draft-xiang-alto-exascale-network-optimization-00.txt
	Pages           : 16
	Date            : 2016-07-08

Abstract:
   Massive datasets continue to be acquired, simulated, processed and
   analyzed by globally distributed scientific collaborations, and the
   volume of this data is growing exponentially.  These datasets need to
   be exchanged through a global network infrastructure.  Applications
   that manages the transfer of such massive data volumes can benefit
   substantially from the utilization of network information, and more
   directly from network-resident services that optimize and load
   balance network usage among multiple transfer requests, and
   coordinate the network use with the use of other resources such as
   computing and storage.

   The Application-Layer Traffic Optimization (ALTO) protocol can
   provide via extensions such network information, to both users and
   proactive network management services where applicable, with the goal
   of improving both application performance and network resource
   utilization, leading to greater overall efficiency of the science
   programs' workflows.

   This document introduces an Exascale Dataset Transfer Orchestrator
   (EDTO), which is a data transfer scheduling service for exascale
   science networks.  EDTO provides simple APIs for users to submit,
   update and delete data transfer requests and to monitor the status of
   each transfer, along with local and global network and site state
   information in real-time.  EDTO collects network information from
   multiple ALTO services utilizing proposed topology extensions and
   leverages emerging SDN control capabilities to orchestrate the
   scheduling of multiple large dataset transfers, leading to improved
   data transfer latency and reliability as well as more efficient
   utilization of limited network resources.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-xiang-alto-exascale-network-optimization/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-xiang-alto-exascale-network-optimization-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/