Subject: I-D Action: draft-hares-idr-rfc5575bis-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2016 10:45:41 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Dissemination of Flow Specification Rules
        Author          : Susan Hares
	Filename        : draft-hares-idr-rfc5575bis-01.txt
	Pages           : 33
	Date            : 2016-07-08

Abstract:
   This document updates RFC5575 which defines a Border Gateway Protocol
   Network Layer Reachability Information (BGP NLRI) encoding format
   that can be used to distribute traffic flow specifications.  This
   allows the routing system to propagate information regarding more
   specific components of the traffic aggregate defined by an IP
   destination prefix (IPv4, IPv6), MPLS addresses, L2VPN addresses, and
   NV03 encapsulation of IP addresses.  The information is carried via
   the BGP, thereby reusing protocol algorithms, operational experience,
   and administrative processes such as inter-provider peering
   agreements.

   There are three applications of that encoding format: 1) automation
   of inter-domain coordination of traffic filtering, such as what is
   required in order to mitigate (distributed) denial-of-service
   attacks; 2) enable traffic filtering in the context of a BGP/MPLS VPN
   service, and 3) aid centralized control of traffic in a SDN or NFV
   context.  Some of deployments of these three applications can be
   handled by the strict ordering of the BGP NLRI traffic flow filters,
   and the strict actions encoded in the Extended Community Flow
   Specification actions.  Other deployments (especially SDN/NFV) need
   to be able to allow the user to order the flow specification.
   Another BGP Flow Specification (version 2) is being defined for user-
   ordered filters, and user-ordered actions encoded in Wide
   Communities.

   This document provides the definition of a BGP NLRI which carries
   traffic flow specification filters, and Extended Community values
   which encode the actions a routing system can take if a packet
   matches the traffic flow filters.  The specification requires that
   the BGP Flow Specification traffic filters follows a string ordering,
   and that the BGP Flow Specification Extended Communities actions are
   processed in a defined order.  This BGP Flow Specification is denoted
   as BGP Flow Specification version 1.

   There are three applications of that encoding format: 1) automation
   of inter-domain coordination of traffic filtering, such as what is
   required in order to mitigate (distributed) denial-of-service
   attacks; 2) enable traffic filtering in the context of a BGP/MPLS VPN
   service, and 3) aid centralized control of traffic in a SDN or NFV
   context.  Some of deployments of these three applications can be
   handled by the strict ordering of the BGP NLRI traffic flow filters,
   and the strict actions encoded in the Extended Community Flow
   Specification actions.  Other deployments (especially SDN/NFV) need
   to be able to allow the user to order the flow specification.
   Another BGP Flow Specification (version 2) is being defined for user-
   ordered filters, and user-ordered actions encoded in Wide
   Communities.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-hares-idr-rfc5575bis/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-hares-idr-rfc5575bis-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-hares-idr-rfc5575bis-01

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/