Subject: I-D Action: draft-gallagher-hybiwebsocketenhancement-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2016 10:37:37 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Security Enhancement for WebSockets to Prevent Private Network Mapping
        Author          : Tom Gallagher
	Filename        : draft-gallagher-hybiwebsocketenhancement-00.txt
	Pages           : 4
	Date            : 2016-07-07

Abstract:
   This document proposes an update to RFC 6455 (WebSockets) which would
   enhance security by preventing network mapping via WebSockets. By
   comparing timing differences between failed opening handshakes,
   WebSockets can be abused within web browsers to discover details
   about a target's private network. WebSocket network mapping is
   more efficient than other in-browser mapping techniques as it can
   take advantage of child WebWorker processes to bypass the throttling
   mitigations in many browsers.  An attacker can exploit this browser
   weakness when a victim accesses an attacker-controlled web page.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-gallagher-hybiwebsocketenhancement/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-gallagher-hybiwebsocketenhancement-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/