Subject: I-D Action: draft-herbert-int-area-limits-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2016 16:26:11 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Guidance to limit size of protocol headers in packets
        Author          : Tom Herbert
	Filename        : draft-herbert-int-area-limits-00.txt
	Pages           : 7
	Date            : 2016-08-10

Abstract:
   This specification provides guidance for limiting the size of
   protocol headers in packets. Intermediate nodes that perform deep
   packet inspection (DPI), particularly hardware implementations, are
   often limited as to how many bytes of protocol headers they can
   process. We recommend that 256 bytes be established as the minimum
   number of bytes of headers that intermediate nodes are expected to be
   able to process. This limit is explicitly not intended to be a
   standard requirement, however it can be used as a guideline in
   hardware design, protocol design, as well as a useful constraint in
   implementation or configuration.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-herbert-int-area-limits/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-herbert-int-area-limits-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/