Subject: I-D Action: draft-fenton-smtp-require-tls-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2016 11:09:56 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : SMTP Require TLS Option
        Author          : Jim Fenton
	Filename        : draft-fenton-smtp-require-tls-02.txt
	Pages           : 11
	Date            : 2016-08-16

Abstract:
   The SMTP STARTTLS option, used in negotiating transport-level
   encryption of SMTP connections, is not as useful from a security
   standpoint as it might be because of its opportunistic nature;
   message delivery is prioritized over security.  This document
   describes a complementary SMTP service extension, REQUIRETLS.  If the
   REQUIRETLS option is used when sending a message, it causes message
   transmission to fail if a TLS connection with the required security
   characteristics cannot be completed with the next hop MTA, or if that
   MTA does not also advertise that it supports REQUIRETLS.  Message
   originators may therefore expect transport security to be used for
   messages sent with this option.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-fenton-smtp-require-tls/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-fenton-smtp-require-tls-02

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-fenton-smtp-require-tls-02

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/