Subject: I-D Action: draft-wang-bier-vxlan-use-case-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 05 Sep 2016 01:03:08 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : BIER Use Case in Data Centers
        Authors         : Cui(Linda) Wang
                          Zheng(Sandy) Zhang
	Filename        : draft-wang-bier-vxlan-use-case-02.txt
	Pages           : 9
	Date            : 2016-09-05

Abstract:
   Bit Index Explicit Replication (BIER) is an architecture that
   provides optimal multicast forwarding through a "BIER domain" without
   requiring intermediate routers to maintain any multicast related per-
   flow state.  BIER also does not require any explicit tree-building
   protocol for its operation.  A multicast data packet enters a BIER
   domain at a "Bit-Forwarding Ingress Router" (BFIR), and leaves the
   BIER domain at one or more "Bit-Forwarding Egress Routers" (BFERs).
   The BFIR router adds a BIER header to the packet.  The BIER header
   contains a bit-string in which each bit represents exactly one BFER
   to forward the packet to.  The set of BFERs to which the multicast
   packet needs to be forwarded is expressed by setting the bits that
   correspond to those routers in the BIER header.

   This document tries to describe the drawbacks of how BUM services are
   deployed in current data centers, and proposes how to take full
   advantage of BIER to implement BUM services in data centers.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-wang-bier-vxlan-use-case/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-wang-bier-vxlan-use-case-02

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-wang-bier-vxlan-use-case-02

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/