Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-alto-performance-metrics-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2016 06:06:49 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Application-Layer Traffic Optimization of the IETF.

        Title           : ALTO Performance Cost Metrics
        Authors         : Qin Wu
                          Y. Richard Yang
                          Young Lee
                          Dhruv Dhody
                          Sabine Randriamasy
	Filename        : draft-ietf-alto-performance-metrics-00.txt
	Pages           : 29
	Date            : 2016-09-06

Abstract:
   Cost Metric is a basic concept in Application-Layer Traffic
   Optimization (ALTO).  It is used in both the Cost Map Service and the
   Endpoint Cost Service.  Future extensions to ALTO may also use Cost
   Metric.

   Different applications may benefit from different Cost Metrics.  For
   example, a Resource Consumer may prefer Resource Providers that have
   low delay to the Resource Consumer.  However the base ALTO protocol
   [ALTO] has documented only a single cost metric, i.e., the generic
   "routingcost" metric (Sec. 14.2 of ALTO base specification [ALTO]).

   In this document, we proposes a set of Cost Metrics, derived and
   aggregated from routing protocols with different granularity and
   scope, such as BGP-LS,OSPF-TE and ISIS-TE, or from end to end traffic
   management tool.  We currently document 11 new Performance Metric to
   measure network delay, jitter, packet loss, hop count, and bandwidth.
   The metrics documented in this document provide a relatively
   comprehensive set of Cost Metrics for ALTO and allow applications to
   determine "where" to connect based on end to end network performance
   criteria.  Additional Cost Metrics such as financial cost metrics may
   be documented in other documents.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-alto-performance-metrics/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-alto-performance-metrics-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/