Subject: I-D Action: draft-adpkja-dnsop-special-names-problem-06.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2016 07:37:05 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Problem Statement for the Reservation of Special-Use Domain Names using RFC6761
        Authors         : Geoff Huston
                          Peter Koch
                          Alain Durand
                          Warren Kumari
	Filename        : draft-adpkja-dnsop-special-names-problem-06.txt
	Pages           : 10
	Date            : 2016-09-10

Abstract:
   The dominant protocol for name resolution on the Internet is the
   Domain Name System (DNS).  However, other protocols exist that are
   fundamentally different from the DNS, and may or may not share the
   same namespace.

   When an end-user triggers resolution of a name on a system that
   supports multiple, different protocols or resolution mechanisms, it
   is desirable that the protocol used is unambiguous, and that requests
   intended for one protocol are not inadvertently answered using
   another protocol.

   RFC 6761 introduced a framework by which a particular domain name
   could be acknowledged as being special.  Various challenges have
   become apparent with this application of the guidance provided in RFC
   6761.  This document focuses solely on documenting the specific
   challenges created by RFC 6761 in the form of a problem statement in
   order to facilitate further discussions of potential solutions.  In
   particular, it refrains from proposing or promoting any solution.
   Also, the current document does not focus on other general issues
   related to the use of special use domain names.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-adpkja-dnsop-special-names-problem/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-adpkja-dnsop-special-names-problem-06

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-adpkja-dnsop-special-names-problem-06

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/