Subject: I-D Action: draft-slevinski-formal-signwriting-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2016 13:20:07 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Formal SignWriting
        Author          : Stephen E Slevinski Jr
	Filename        : draft-slevinski-formal-signwriting-00.txt
	Pages           : 37
	Date            : 2016-10-04

Abstract:
   Sutton SignWriting is the universal and complete solution for written
   sign language.  It has been applied by a wide and deep international
   community of sign language users.  Sutton SignWriting is an
   international standard for writing sign languages by hand or with
   computers.  From education to research, from entertainment to
   religion, SignWriting has proven useful because people are using it
   to write signed languages.

   Formal SignWriting (FSW) is a faithful character-encoding of Sutton
   SignWriting based on 2-dimensional mathematics.  FSW defines a formal
   language for written sign languages where any sign of any sign
   language can be written as a string of ASCII characters.  The
   mathematical names are explained with tokens and regular expression
   patterns.  Symbol keys reference the Sutton SignWriting Characters.
   Coordinates are used for 2-dimensional placement.  Signs are written
   in a spatial SignBox, where each symbol is positioned with a
   2-dimension coordinate.  For sorting, each sign can have an optional
   temporal sequence of symbols that is outside of the SignBox.  To
   create sentences, signs are written sequentially, interspersed with
   punctuation symbols.

   The styling string of Formal SignWriting uses a lite markup to define
   a variety of styling options.  The entire sign can be customized for
   padding, coloring, and size.  Individual symbols within a sign can be
   customized for coloring and size.  For SVG, class names and IDs can
   be defined.

   The query language of Formal SignWriting uses a lite markup, similar
   to FSW, to define a variety of searching possibilities.  The spatial
   SignBox can be searched for symbols or ranges of symbols.  For each
   symbol or range, the search can specify if the symbol only needs to
   be found somewhere in the SignBox, or if the symbol needs to be found
   near certain coordinates.  The temporal sequence can be searched for
   starting symbols, written as a sequential list of symbols and ranges
   of symbols.  When searching the temporal sequence, the search results
   will be limited to signs that start with a matching temporal
   sequence.  Each query string is transformed into one or more regular
   expressions.  The regular expressions are used to quickly search
   large amounts of data.

   Formal SignWriting has been specifically designed to integrate with
   standard browser technology.  Four main components make this
   integration possible: 1) Font Technology, 2) Scalar Vector Graphics,
   3) HTML and CSS, and 4) a JavaScript Library.

   Formal SignWriting is ASCII based, so it is compatible with and
   optimized for UTF-8.  A Unicode character design is proposed that is
   isomorphic to Formal SignWriting.

   This memo defines a conceptual character encoding map for the
   Internet community.  It is published for reference, examination,
   implementation, and evaluation.  Distribution of this memo is
   unlimited.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-slevinski-formal-signwriting/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-slevinski-formal-signwriting-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/