Subject: I-D Action: draft-stenn-ntp-mac-last-ef-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2016 23:42:29 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Network Time Protocol MAC/Last Extension Fields
        Authors         : Harlan Stenn
                          Danny Mayer
	Filename        : draft-stenn-ntp-mac-last-ef-00.txt
	Pages           : 7
	Date            : 2016-10-29

Abstract:
   NTPv4 is defined by RFC 5905 [RFC5905], and it and earlier versions
   of the NTP Protocol have supported symmetric private key Message
   Authentication Code (MAC) authentication.  MACs were first described
   in Appendix C of RFC 1305 [RFC1305] and are further described in RFC
   5905 [RFC5905].  As the number of Extension Fields grows there is an
   increasing chance of a parsing ambiguity when deciding if the "next"
   set of data is an Extension Field or a legacy MAC.  This proposal
   defines two new Extension Fields to avoid this ambiguity.  One is
   used to signifiy that it is the last Extension Field in the packet.
   If present, any subsequent data MUST be considered to be a legacy
   MAC.  The other allows one or more MACs to be encapsulated in an
   Extension Field.  If all parties in an association support MAC-EF,
   the use of a legacy MAC may be avoided.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-stenn-ntp-mac-last-ef/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-stenn-ntp-mac-last-ef-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/