Subject: I-D Action: draft-stw-whatsinaname-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2016 12:22:40 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Some Considerations for the Use of Domain Names in non-DNS Protocols
        Author          : Suzanne Woolf
	Filename        : draft-stw-whatsinaname-01.txt
	Pages           : 12
	Date            : 2016-10-31

Abstract:
   From time to time, networking protocols need to be able to name
   things used within the protocol, and resolve the names created or
   referenced.  It's common for protocol designers in this predicament
   to attempt to use domain names as the starting point for their
   systems of names, and the DNS as the starting point for name
   resolution.

   There is existing guidance on how to think about application-specific
   extensions to DNS if the protocol or software designer is re-using
   both domain name abstractions and DNS protocol assumptions (see RFC
   6950).  However, recently there's also a tendency to re-use a domain-
   name-based namespace without necessarily re-using DNS protocol for
   name resolution.  This document acknowledges that class of extensions
   to the shared domain namespace and considers a framework for the
   properties a naming and resolution convention should have in the
   internet protocol environment, including the avoidance of collision
   with other uses of the namespace.  Depending to the answers to the
   suggested questions, the answer may be that domain names will not
   meet the constraints at hand.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-stw-whatsinaname/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-stw-whatsinaname-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-stw-whatsinaname-01

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/