Subject: I-D Action: draft-azgin-icnrg-ni-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2016 11:45:50 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Enabling Network Identifier (NI) in Information Centric Networks to Support Optimized Forwarding
        Authors         : Aytac Azgin
                          Ravishankar Ravindran
	Filename        : draft-azgin-icnrg-ni-00.txt
	Pages           : 14
	Date            : 2016-10-31

Abstract:
   The objective of this proposal is to introduce the notion of network
   identifier (NI) in the ICN architecture.  This is in addition to the
   existing names (i.e., content identifiers, CIs, or application
   identifiers, AIs, in general) that are currently used for both naming
   and routing/forwarding purposes.  Network identifiers are needed
   considering the requirements on future networking architectures such
   as: (i) to support persistent names (or persistently named objects)
   and large-scale and high-speed mobility of any network entity (i.e,
   devices, services, and content), (ii) to accommodate different types
   of Internet of Things (IoT) services, many of which require low-
   latency performance, and enabling edge computing to support service
   virtualization, which will require support for large scale migration
   and replication of named resources, and (iii) to scale the ICN
   architecture to future Internet scale considering the exponentially
   increasing named entities.  These considerations also require
   enabling a network based name resolution service for efficient and
   scalable routing.

   In the current draft, we begin by highlighting the issues associated
   with ICN networking when utilizing only the AIs, which include
   persistently named content, services, and devices.  Next we discuss
   the function NI serves, and provide a discussion on the two current
   NI-based proposals, along with their scope and functionalities.  This
   is with the objective of having a single NI construct for ICN that is
   flexible enough to adapt to different networking contexts.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-azgin-icnrg-ni/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-azgin-icnrg-ni-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/