Subject: I-D Action: draft-pioxfolks-6man-pio-exclusive-bit-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 2016 15:14:23 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : IPv6 Router Advertisement Prefix Information Option Exclusive Bit
        Authors         : Erik Kline
                          Mikael Abrahamsson
	Filename        : draft-pioxfolks-6man-pio-exclusive-bit-01.txt
	Pages           : 15
	Date            : 2016-10-28

Abstract:
   This document defines a new control bit in the IPv6 RA PIO flags
   octet that indicates that the node receiving this RA is the exclusive
   receiver of all traffic destined to any address within that prefix.

   Termed the eXclusive bit (or "X bit"), nodes that recognize this can
   perform some optimizations to save time and traffic (e.g. disable ND
   and DAD for addresses within this prefix) and more immediately pursue
   the benefits of being provided multiple addresses (vis.  [RFC7934]
   section 3).  Additionally, network infrastructure nodes (routers,
   switches) can benefit by minimizing the number of {link layer, IP}
   address pairs required to offer network connectivity (vis.  [RFC7934]
   section 9.3).

   Use of the X bit is backward compatible with existing IPv6 standards
   compliant implementations.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-pioxfolks-6man-pio-exclusive-bit/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-pioxfolks-6man-pio-exclusive-bit-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-pioxfolks-6man-pio-exclusive-bit-01

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/