Subject: I-D Action: draft-aanchal4-ntp-mac-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2016 13:29:21 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Message Authentication Codes for the Network Time Protocol 
        Authors         : Aanchal Malhotra
                          Sharon Goldberg
	Filename        : draft-aanchal4-ntp-mac-02.txt
	Pages           : 11
	Date            : 2016-10-13

Abstract:
   The Network Time Protocol (NTP) RFC 5905 [RFC5905] uses a message
   authentication code (MAC) to cryptographically authenticate its UDP
   packets.  Currently, NTP packets are authenticated by appending a
   128-bit key to the NTP data, and hashing the result with MD5 to
   obtain a 128-bit tag.  However, as discussed in [BCK] and [RFC6151],
   this not a secure MAC.  As such, this draft considers different
   secure MAC algorithms for use with NTP, evaluates their performance,
   and recommends the use CMAC-AES [RFC4493].  We also suggest
   deprecating the use of MD5 as defined in [RFC5905] for authenticating
   NTP packets.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-aanchal4-ntp-mac/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-aanchal4-ntp-mac-02

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-aanchal4-ntp-mac-02

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/