Subject: I-D Action: draft-rashid-6lo-iid-assignment-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2016 01:03:22 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Designating 6LBR for IID Assignment
        Authors         : Abdur Rashid Sangi
                          Mach(Guoyi) Chen
                          Charles E. Perkins
	Filename        : draft-rashid-6lo-iid-assignment-02.txt
	Pages           : 12
	Date            : 2016-10-31

Abstract:
   In IPv6 Stateless Address Autoconfiguration (SLAAC), randomizing the
   interface identifier (IID) is a common practice to promote privacy.
   If there are a very large number of nodes, as has been discussed in
   several use cases, the effect will to proportionately increase the
   number of IIDs.  A duplicate address detection (DAD) cycle is needed
   for each configured IID, introducing more and more overhead into the
   network.  Each failed DAD requires the initiating node to regenerate
   a new IID and undergo the DAD cycle again.  This document proposes an
   optimized approach when higher privacy is required by given network
   by allowing 6LBR (6LoWPAN Border Router) to provide a unique IID,
   avoiding the potential duplication.  Such practice also prevent
   probable failure of time-critical application by enabling 6LBR to
   suggest unique IID, in case of address collision.

   Additionally, further optimizations are suggested to enable multiple
   concurrent DAD cycles and to return the suggested IID from 6LBR to
   6LN in a space-efficient manner.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-rashid-6lo-iid-assignment/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-rashid-6lo-iid-assignment-02

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-rashid-6lo-iid-assignment-02

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/