Subject: I-D Action: draft-chen-ati-ipv4-with-adaptive-address-space-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 13 Nov 2016 15:08:07 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : IPv4 with Adaptive Address Space
        Authors         : Abraham Chen
                          Ramamurthy Ati
	Filename        : draft-chen-ati-ipv4-with-adaptive-address-space-00.txt
	Pages           : 48
	Date            : 2016-11-13

Abstract:
   This document describes a solution to the Internet address depletion
   issue through the use of an existing Option mechanism that is part of
   the original IPv4 protocol.  This proposal, named EzIP (phonetic for
   Easy IPv4), discusses the IPv4 public address pool expansion and the
   Internet system architecture enhancement aspects.  It was originated
   by a study called ExIP (Extended IPv4) analyzing the use of the first
   available octet (eight bits) in the reserved private network pools
   (10/8, 172.16/12 and 192.168/16) to achieve a moderate address space
   expansion factor of 256 by each, while maintaining their familiar
   operation characteristics.  Along the way, a parallel yet similar
   effort, called EnIP (Enhanced IPv4), was discovered.  EnIP fully
   utilizes the same private network pools to increase the address space
   by a factor of 17.1M with end-to-end connectivity.  EzIP is a
   superset that proposes one unified format for not only encompassing
   the considerations of both, but also identifying additional
   capabilities and flexibilities.  For example, EzIP may expand an IPv4
   address at least by a factor of 256 to as high as 256M without
   affecting the existing IPv4 public address assignments, while still
   keeping intact the current private networks for the 256M case if
   desired.  The EzIP is in full conformance with the IPv4 protocol, and
   supports not only both categories of connectivity, but also their
   interoperability.  The traditional Internet traffic and the IoT
   operations may coexist simultaneously without perturbing their
   existing setups, while offering end-users the freedom to choose one
   or the other.  If the IPv4 public pool were reorganized, the
   assignable pool could be multiplied by 512M or even up to 2B times
   with end-to-end connectivity.  EzIP may be deployed as a firmware
   enhancement to the Internet edge routers or private network gateways
   wherever needed, or simply installed as an inline adjunct module
   between the two, enabling a seamless introduction.  The 256M case
   establishes a spherical layer of routers providing a complete
   interconnection between the Internet and end-users.  This
   configuration enables the entire current Internet and private
   networks characteristics to remain intact.  These proposed interim
   facilities would afford IPv6 more time to orderly reach the maturity
   and the availability levels required for delivering a long-term
   general service.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-chen-ati-ipv4-with-adaptive-address-space/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-chen-ati-ipv4-with-adaptive-address-space-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/