Subject: I-D Action: draft-wood-discussion-beyond-english-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2016 03:10:20 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Discussion beyond English on IETF mailing lists
        Author          : Lloyd Wood
	Filename        : draft-wood-discussion-beyond-english-00.txt
	Pages           : 3
	Date            : 2016-11-19

Abstract:
   The IETF requires English for technical discussion in working groups,
   in working group documents and in anything considered for
   publication.  Use of English simplifies overhead and makes for clear
   discussion of a single document in a single language, but
   disadvantages those who lack fluency and comfort in English.

   This document proposes setting up talk mailing lists for languages
   other than English, where technical matters can be discussed in
   comfort, and perhaps even be written up in internet-draft form in a
   language other than English.  Once technical ideas are in place, a
   draft can move forward to a working group in English.

   Exposing non-English speakers to the IETF will, in the interests of
   diversity, allow them to gain familiarity with IETF processes while
   discussing with other fluent speakers of their language.  This
   benefits the IETF by attracting a broader constituency while meeting
   its diversity goals.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-wood-discussion-beyond-english/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-wood-discussion-beyond-english-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/