Subject: I-D Action: draft-chen-ati-ezipc-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2016 15:55:09 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : IPv4 with Adaptive Address Space
        Authors         : Abraham Y. Chen
                          Ramamurthy R. Ati
	Filename        : draft-chen-ati-ezipc-00.txt
	Pages           : 50
	Date            : 2016-11-26

Abstract:
   This document describes a solution to the Internet address depletion
   issue through the use of an existing Option mechanism that is part of
   the original IPv4 protocol. This proposal, named EzIP (phonetic for
   Easy IPv4), discusses the IPv4 public address pool expansion and the
   Internet system architecture enhancement aspects. It was originated
   by a study called ExIP (Extended IPv4) analyzing the use of the first
   available octet (eight bits) in the reserved private network pools
   (10/8, 172.16/12 and 192.168/16) to achieve a moderate address space
   expansion factor of 256 by each, while maintaining their familiar
   operation characteristics. Along the way, a parallel yet similar
   effort, called EnIP (Enhanced IPv4), was discovered. EnIP fully
   utilizes the same private network pools to increase the address space
   by a factor of 17.1M with end-to-end connectivity. EzIP is a superset
   that proposes one unified format for not only encompassing the
   considerations of both, but also identifying additional capabilities
   and flexibilities. For example, EzIP may expand an IPv4 address at
   least by a factor of 256 to as high as 256M without affecting the
   existing IPv4 public address assignments, while still keeping intact
   the current private networks for the 256M case if desired. The EzIP
   is in full conformance with the IPv4 protocol, and supports not only
   both categories of connectivity, but also their interoperability. The
   traditional Internet traffic and the IoT operations may coexist
   simultaneously without perturbing their existing setups, while
   offering end-users the freedom to choose one or the other. If the
   IPv4 public pool were reorganized, the assignable pool could be
   multiplied by 512M or even up to 2B times with end-to-end
   connectivity. EzIP may be deployed as a firmware enhancement to the
   Internet edge routers or private network gateways wherever needed, or
   simply installed as an inline adjunct module between the two,
   enabling a seamless introduction. The 256M case establishes a
   spherical layer of routers providing a complete interconnection
   between the Internet and end-users. This configuration enables the
   entire current Internet and private networks characteristics to
   remain intact. These proposed interim facilities would afford IPv6
   more time to orderly reach the maturity and the availability levels
   required for delivering a long-term general service.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-chen-ati-ezipc/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-chen-ati-ezipc-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/