Subject: I-D Action: draft-dolson-plus-middlebox-benefits-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 31 Jan 2017 11:44:43 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Beneficial Functions of Middleboxes
        Authors         : David Dolson
                          Juho Snellman
	Filename        : draft-dolson-plus-middlebox-benefits-01.txt
	Pages           : 13
	Date            : 2017-01-31

Abstract:
   At IETF97, at a meeting regarding the Path Layer UDP Substrate (PLUS)
   protocol, a request was made for documentation about the benefits
   that might be provided by permitting middleboxes to have some
   visibility to transport-layer information.

   This document summarizes benefits provided to the Internet by
   middleboxes -- intermediary devices that provide functions apart from
   normal IP routing between a source and destination host [RFC3234].

   RFC3234 defines a taxonomy of middleboxes and issues in the internet
   circa 2002.  Most of those middleboxes utilized or modified
   application-layer data.  This document will focus primarily on
   devices that observe and act on information found in the transport
   layer, most commonly TCP at this time.

   A primary goal of this document is to provide information to working
   groups developing new transport protocols, in particular the PLUS and
   QUIC working groups, to aid understanding of what might be gained or
   lost by design decisions.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-dolson-plus-middlebox-benefits/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-dolson-plus-middlebox-benefits-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-dolson-plus-middlebox-benefits-01

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/