Subject: I-D Action: draft-dolson-plus-middlebox-benefits-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2017 13:22:10 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Beneficial Functions of Middleboxes
        Authors         : David Dolson
                          Juho Snellman
                          Mohamed Boucadair
                          Christian Jacquenet
	Filename        : draft-dolson-plus-middlebox-benefits-02.txt
	Pages           : 17
	Date            : 2017-02-15

Abstract:
   At IETF97, at a meeting regarding the Path Layer UDP Substrate (PLUS)
   protocol, a request was made for documentation about the benefits
   that might be provided by permitting middleboxes to have some
   visibility to transport-layer information.

   This document summarizes benefits provided to the Internet by
   intermediary devices that provide functions apart from normal IP
   forwarding.  Such intermediary devices are often called
   "middleboxes".

   RFC3234 defines a taxonomy of middleboxes and issues in the Internet.
   Most of those middleboxes utilize or modify application-layer data.
   This document primarily focuses on devices that observe and act on
   information carried in the transport layer, and especially
   information carried in TCP packets.

   A primary goal of this document is to provide information to working
   groups developing new transport protocols, in particular the PLUS and
   QUIC working groups, to aid understanding of what might be gained or
   lost by design decisions that may affect (or be affected by)
   middlebox operation.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-dolson-plus-middlebox-benefits/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-dolson-plus-middlebox-benefits-02

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-dolson-plus-middlebox-benefits-02

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/