Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-sipcore-name-addr-guidance-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2017 13:43:54 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Session Initiation Protocol Core of the IETF.

        Title           : Clarifications for when to use the name-addr production in SIP messages
        Author          : Robert Sparks
	Filename        : draft-ietf-sipcore-name-addr-guidance-00.txt
	Pages           : 6
	Date            : 2017-02-28

Abstract:
   RFC3261 constrained several SIP header fields whose grammar contains
   the "name-addr / addr-spec" alternative to use name-addr when certain
   characters appear.  Unfortunately it expressed the constraints with
   prose copied into each header field definition, and at least one
   header field was missed.  Further, the constraint has not been copied
   into documents defining extension headers whose grammar contains the
   alternative.

   This document updates RFC3261 to state the constraint generically,
   and clarifies that the constraint applies to all SIP header fields
   where there is a choice between using name-addr or addr-spec.  It
   also updates those extension SIP header fields that use the
   alternative to clarify that the constraint applies (RFCs 3325, 3515,
   3892, 4508, 5002, 5318, 5360, and 5502).

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-sipcore-name-addr-guidance/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-sipcore-name-addr-guidance-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/