Subject: I-D Action: draft-zhang-icnrg-icniot-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2017 08:26:34 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Design Considerations for Applying ICN to IoT
        Authors         : Yanyong Zhang
                          Dipankar Raychadhuri
                          Luigi Alfredo Grieco
                          Emmanuel Baccelli
                          Jeff Burke
                          Ravishankar Ravindran
                          Guoqiang Wang
                          Bengt Ahlgren
                          Olov Schelen
	Filename        : draft-zhang-icnrg-icniot-00.txt
	Pages           : 40
	Date            : 2017-03-28

Abstract:
   The Internet of Things (IoT) promises to connect billions of objects
   to the Internet.  After deploying many stand-alone IoT systems in
   different domains, the current trend is to develop a common, "thin
   waist" of protocols forming a horizontal unified, defragmented IoT
   platform.  Such a platform will make objects accessible to
   applications across organizations and domains.  Towards this goal,
   quite a few proposals have been made to build an application-layer
   based unified IoT platform on top of today's host-centric Internet.
   However, there is a fundamental mismatch between the host-centric
   nature of todays Internet and the information-centric nature of the
   IoT system.  To address this mismatch, we propose to build a common
   set of protocols and services, which form an IoT platform, based on
   the Information Centric Network (ICN) architecture, which we call
   ICN-IoT.  ICN-IoT leverages the salient features of ICN, and thus
   provides naming, security, seamless mobility support, scalability,
   and efficient content and service delivery.

   This draft describes representative IoT requirements, ICN challenges
   and design considerations to realize a unified ICN-IoT framework.
   Towards this, we first motivate ICN for IoT using specific use case
   scenarios.  Then taking a general IoT perspective, we discuss the IoT
   requirements generally applicable to many well known scenarios.  We
   then discuss how the current application layer unified IoT
   architecture fails to meet these requirements, followed by discussion
   on suitability of ICN for IoT.  Though we see most of the IoT
   requirements can be met by ICN, we discuss specific design challenges
   ICN has to address to satisfy them.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-zhang-icnrg-icniot/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-zhang-icnrg-icniot-00
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-zhang-icnrg-icniot-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/