Subject: I-D Action: draft-dunbar-e2e-latency-arch-view-and-gaps-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2017 14:50:43 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Architectural View of E2E Latency and Gaps
        Author          : Huawei Technologies
	Filename        : draft-dunbar-e2e-latency-arch-view-and-gaps-00.txt
	Pages           : 14
	Date            : 2017-03-13

Abstract:
   Ultra-Low Latency is a highly desired property for many types of
   services, such as 5G MTC (Machine Type Communication) requiring
   E2E connection for V2V to be less than 2ms, AR/VR requiring delay
   less than 5ms, V2X less than 20ms, etc.

   This draft examines the E2E latency from architectural
   perspective, from studying how different OSI layers contribute to
   E2E latency, how different domains, which can be different
   operators' domains or administrative domains, contribute to E2E
   latency, to analyzing the gaps of recent technology advancement
   in reducing latency.

   By studying the contributing factors to E2E latency from various
   angles, the draft identifies some gaps of recent technology
   advancement for E2E services traversing multiple domains and
   involving multiple layers, which can be the basis for IAB to
   organize more in-depth discussion, like workshop or cross Area
   (or industry wide) BOF, as the scope of the discussion will be
   too wide for one IETF WG. The discussion might touch upon
   multiple IETF areas.

   The goal of those further "deep-dive" workshop or cross area BOF
   is to establish more comprehensive foundation to IESG and the
   IETF community in identifying potential new work initiatives for
   reducing E2E latency of services over the Internet.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-dunbar-e2e-latency-arch-view-and-gaps/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-dunbar-e2e-latency-arch-view-and-gaps-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/