Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-bier-architecture-06.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2017 11:05:03 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Bit Indexed Explicit Replication of the IETF.

        Title           : Multicast using Bit Index Explicit Replication
        Authors         : IJsbrand Wijnands
                          Eric C. Rosen
                          Andrew Dolganow
                          Tony Przygienda
                          Sam K Aldrin
	Filename        : draft-ietf-bier-architecture-06.txt
	Pages           : 36
	Date            : 2017-04-24

Abstract:
   This document specifies a new architecture for the forwarding of
   multicast data packets.  It provides optimal forwarding of multicast
   packets through a "multicast domain".  However, it does not require a
   protocol for explicitly building multicast distribution trees, nor
   does it require intermediate nodes to maintain any per-flow state.
   This architecture is known as "Bit Index Explicit Replication"
   (BIER).  When a multicast data packet enters the domain, the ingress
   router determines the set of egress routers to which the packet needs
   to be sent.  The ingress router then encapsulates the packet in a
   BIER header.  The BIER header contains a bitstring in which each bit
   represents exactly one egress router in the domain; to forward the
   packet to a given set of egress routers, the bits corresponding to
   those routers are set in the BIER header.  Elimination of the per-
   flow state and the explicit tree-building protocols results in a
   considerable simplification.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bier-architecture/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-bier-architecture-06
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-bier-architecture-06

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-bier-architecture-06

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/