Subject: I-D Action: draft-dkg-dprive-demux-dns-http-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 17 May 2017 09:49:27 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Demultiplexing Streamed DNS from HTTP/1.x
        Author          : Daniel Kahn Gillmor
	Filename        : draft-dkg-dprive-demux-dns-http-03.txt
	Pages           : 19
	Date            : 2017-05-17

Abstract:
   DNS over TCP and HTTP/1.x are both stream-oriented, client-speaks-
   first protocols.  They can both be run over a stream-based security
   protocol like TLS.  A server accepting a stream-based client can
   distinguish between a valid stream of DNS queries and valid stream of
   HTTP/1.x requests by simple observation of the first few octets sent
   by the client.  This can be done without any external demultiplexing
   mechanism like TCP port number or ALPN.

   Implicit multiplexing of the two protocols over a single listening
   port can be useful for obscuring the presence of DNS queries from a
   network observer, which makes it relevant for DNS privacy.

   Widespread adoption of the described approach could constrain
   evolution of the stream-based variants of both DNS ([RFC1035]) and
   HTTP/1.x ([RFC7230]) by ossifying existing distinguishing bit
   patterns in early octets sent by the client.  However, this draft
   explicitly rules out multiplexing in this form with HTTP/2, so it
   should place no constraints on it or any higher version of HTTP.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-dkg-dprive-demux-dns-http/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-dkg-dprive-demux-dns-http-03
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-dkg-dprive-demux-dns-http-03

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-dkg-dprive-demux-dns-http-03

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/