Subject: I-D Action: draft-hoffman-c2pq-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 03 May 2017 15:24:16 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : The Transition from Classical to Post-Quantum Cryptography
        Author          : Paul Hoffman
	Filename        : draft-hoffman-c2pq-00.txt
	Pages           : 12
	Date            : 2017-05-03

Abstract:
   Quantum computing is the study of computers that use quantum features
   in calculations.  For over 20 years, it has been known that if large-
   scale quantum computers could be built, they could have a devastating
   effect on classical cryptographic algorithms such as RSA and elliptic
   curve signatures and key exchange, as well as on encryption
   algorithms.  There has already been a great deal of study on how to
   create algorithms that will resist large-scale quantum computers, but
   so far, the properties of those algorithms make them onerous to adopt
   before they are needed.

   Small-scale quantum computers are being built today, but it is still
   far from clear when large-scale quantum computers that can be used to
   break classical algorithms with key sizes commonly used today will be
   available.  It is important to be able to predict when large-scale
   quantum computers usable for cryptanalysis will be possible so that
   organization can change to post-quantum cryptographic algorithms well
   before they are needed.

   This document describes quantum computing, how it can be used to
   attack classical cryptographic algorithms, and possibly how to
   predict when large-scale quantum computers will become feasible.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-hoffman-c2pq/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-hoffman-c2pq-00
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-hoffman-c2pq-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/