Subject: I-D Action: draft-liu-intarea-ps-protocol-auth-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 20 May 2017 07:10:37 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Requirements Language
        Authors         : Zhiheng Liu
                          Yinzhi Cao
                          Dapeng Liu
                          China Mobile
                          Qiong Sun
	Filename        : draft-liu-intarea-ps-protocol-auth-00.txt
	Pages           : 8
	Date            : 2017-05-20

Abstract:
     Transport and application layer protocol provides end-to-end
connectivity for clients and servers, but conveys limited or even no
information to a middlebox, such as Policy and Charging Control (PCC)
system, between the client and server. However, PCC needs to authenticate the
client-server traffic so that it can perform the basic functionality, i.e.,
charging the client.
     Due to lack of traffic authentication capability in transport and
application layer protocol, state-of-the-art PCC adopts Deep Packet
Inspection (DPI) to understand client-server communication and decide
whether to charge a client. However, in this draft, we show that current
transport layer protocol(TCP) and application layer(HTTP, TLS) protocol cannot
meet the need of traffic authentication, i.e., the user can modify the packet
and by pass the ISP PCC to have free ride.
     Due to the existence of the aforementioned free-riding attacks, we
believe that Transport and application layer protocol needs to provide
traffic authentication capability to a middlebox.
     In this draft, we describe free-riding attacks and present requirements
for providing traffic authentication.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-liu-intarea-ps-protocol-auth/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-liu-intarea-ps-protocol-auth-00
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-liu-intarea-ps-protocol-auth-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/