Subject: I-D Action: draft-chen-ati-adaptive-ipv4-address-space-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2017 13:06:52 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Adaptive IPv4 Address Space
        Authors         : Abraham Y. Chen
                          Ramamurthy R. Ati
	Filename        : draft-chen-ati-adaptive-ipv4-address-space-01.txt
	Pages           : 53
	Date            : 2017-06-12

Abstract:
   This document describes a solution to the Internet address depletion
   issue through the use of an existing Option mechanism that is part of
   the original IPv4 protocol. This proposal, named EzIP (phonetic for
   Easy IPv4), discusses the IPv4 public address pool expansion and the
   Internet system architecture enhancement aspects. It was originated
   by a study called ExIP (Extended IPv4) analyzing the use of the first
   available octet (eight bits) in the reserved private network pools
   (10/8, 172.16/12 and 192.168/16) to achieve a moderate address space
   expansion factor of 256 by each, while maintaining their familiar
   operation characteristics. Along the way, a parallel yet similar
   effort, called EnIP (Enhanced IPv4), was discovered. EnIP fully
   utilizes the same private network pools to increase the address space
   by a factor of 17.1M with end-to-end connectivity. EzIP is a superset
   that proposes one unified format for not only encompassing the
   considerations of both, but also identifying additional capabilities
   and flexibilities. For example, the EzIP may expand an IPv4 address
   at least by a factor of 256 to as high as 256M without affecting the
   existing IPv4 public address assignments, and even keeping the
   current private networks intact for the 256M case. The EzIP is in
   full conformance with the IPv4 protocol, and supports not only both
   categories of connectivity, but also their interoperability. The
   traditional Internet traffic and the IoT (Internet of Things)
   operations may coexist simultaneously without perturbing their
   existing setups, while offering end-users the freedom to choose one
   or the other. If the IPv4 public pool were reorganized, the
   assignable pool could be multiplied by 512M or even up to 2B times
   with end-to-end connectivity. The EzIP may be implemented as a
   software / firmware enhancement to the Internet edge routers or
   private network gateways wherever needed, or simply installed as an
   inline adjunct hardware module between the two, enabling a seamless
   introduction. The 256M case establishes a spherical layer of routers
   providing a complete interconnection between the Internet and end-
   users. This configuration enables the entire current IPv4 based
   Internet and private networks characteristics to remain intact. Under
   the Dual-Stack environment, these proposed interim facilities would
   relieve the IPv4 address shortage issue, while afford IPv6 more time
   to orderly reach the maturity and the availability levels required
   for delivering a long-term general service.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-chen-ati-adaptive-ipv4-address-space/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-chen-ati-adaptive-ipv4-address-space-01
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-chen-ati-adaptive-ipv4-address-space-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-chen-ati-adaptive-ipv4-address-space-01

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/