Subject: I-D Action: draft-hoffman-dnssec-s-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 28 Jun 2017 11:10:45 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Session-baseed Authentication for DNS: DNSSEC-S
        Authors         : Paul Hoffman
                          Matt Larson
	Filename        : draft-hoffman-dnssec-s-00.txt
	Pages           : 10
	Date            : 2017-06-28

Abstract:
   DNSSEC as defined in RFCs 4033, 4034, and 4035 is based on
   authenticated messages.  That design has allowed DNSSEC to be
   deployed at the upper levels of the DNS tree, but operational issues
   with message-based authentication has caused lower levels fo the DNS
   tree to mostly forego DNSSEC.  This document extends DNSSEC with a
   second type of authentication, based on session authentication from
   TLS, that is easier to deploy by some (but certainly not all)
   authoritative DNS servers.  The goal is to have many more zones be
   DNSSEC-enabled.

   Note that this document does _not_ replace current DNSSEC.  A
   validating resolver needs to implement all of traditional DNSSEC, and
   might also implement the protocol defined here.  A server might
   protect the contents of DNS zones for which it is authoritative with
   traditional DNSSEC, with the protocol defined here, or both.  The
   protocol defined here is only useful for some authoritative servers,
   and is explicitly not useful for others.

   *** Notice for -00 ***

   This -00 draft is meant to engender discussion, particularly to find
   out if there is a good use case for this proposal.  This draft is
   definitely not considered ready for consideration in an IETF WG.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-hoffman-dnssec-s/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-hoffman-dnssec-s-00
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-hoffman-dnssec-s-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/