Subject: I-D Action: draft-kaliraj-idr-multinexthop-attribute-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2017 12:47:47 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : BGP MultiNexthop attribute
        Authors         : Kaliraj Vairavakkalai
                          Minto Jeyananth
	Filename        : draft-kaliraj-idr-multinexthop-attribute-00.txt
	Pages           : 13
	Date            : 2017-06-22

Abstract:
   Today, a BGP speaker can advertise one nexthop for a set of NLRIs in
   an Update.  This nexthop can be encoded in either the BGP-Nexthop
   attribute (code 3), or inside the MP_REACH attribute (code 14).

   For cases where multiple nexthops need to be advertised, BGP-Addpath
   is used.  Though Addpath allows basic ability to advertise multiple-
   nexthops, it does not allow the sender to specify desired
   relationship between the multiple nexthops being advertised e.g.,
   relative-preference, type of load-balancing.  These are local
   decisions at the receiving speaker based on path-selection between
   the various additional-paths, which may tie-break on some arbitrary
   step like Router-Id.

   Some scenarios with a BGP-free core may benefit from having a
   mechanism, where egress-node can signal multiple-nexthops along with
   their relationship to ingress nodes.  This document defines a new BGP
   attribute "MultiNexthop" that can be used for this purpose.

   This attribute can be used for both labeled and unlabled BGP
   families.  For labeled-families, it is used for a different purpose
   in "downstream allocation" case than "upstream allocation" scenarios.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-kaliraj-idr-multinexthop-attribute/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-kaliraj-idr-multinexthop-attribute-00
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-kaliraj-idr-multinexthop-attribute-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/