Subject: I-D Action: draft-aranda-sfc-dp-mobile-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2017 22:44:42 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Service Function Chaining Dataplane Elements in Mobile Networks
        Authors         : Pedro A. Aranda Gutierrez
                          Marco Gramaglia
                          Diego R. Lopez
                          Walter Haeffner
	Filename        : draft-aranda-sfc-dp-mobile-04.txt
	Pages           : 13
	Date            : 2017-06-30

Abstract:
   The evolution of the network towards 5G implies a challenge for the
   infrastructure.  The targeted services and the full deployment of
   virtualization in all segments of the network will be possible and
   necessary to provide some traffic-specific services near the next
   generation base stations where the radio is processed.  Thus, service
   function chains that currently reside in the infrastructure of the
   Network operator (like, e.g. the Expeded Packet Gateway(EPG)) will be
   extended to the radio access network (RAN).

   In this draft we provide a non-exhaustive but representative list of
   service functions in 4G and 5G networks, and explore different
   scenarios for service-aware orchestration.

   We base on the problem statement [RFC7498] and architecture framework
   [RFC7665]  of the SFC working group, as well on the existing mobile
   networks use cases [I-D.ietf-sfc-use-case-mobility]  and the
   requirement gathering process of the ITU-R IMT 2020 [1] and different
   initiatives in Europe [2], Korea [3] and China [4] to anticipate
   network elements that will be needed in 5G networks.

   We then explore service-aware orchestration scenarios identifying
   where different network functions can be deployed in a fully
   virtualised future network, where both the core and the edge provide
   advanced virtualisation capabilities.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-aranda-sfc-dp-mobile/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-aranda-sfc-dp-mobile-04
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-aranda-sfc-dp-mobile-04

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-aranda-sfc-dp-mobile-04

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/