Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-bess-evpn-pref-df-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 21 Jun 2017 03:21:26 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the BGP Enabled ServiceS of the IETF.

        Title           : Preference-based EVPN DF Election
        Authors         : Jorge Rabadan
                          Senthil Sathappan
                          Tony Przygienda
                          Wen Lin
                          John Drake
                          Ali Sajassi
                          Satya Ranjan Mohanty
	Filename        : draft-ietf-bess-evpn-pref-df-00.txt
	Pages           : 12
	Date            : 2017-06-21

Abstract:
   RFC7432 defines the Designated Forwarder (DF) in (PBB-)EVPN networks
   as the PE responsible for sending broadcast, multicast and unknown
   unicast traffic (BUM) to a multi-homed device/network in the case of
   an all-active multi-homing ES, or BUM and unicast in the case of
   single-active multi-homing.

   The DF is selected out of a candidate list of PEs that advertise the
   Ethernet Segment Identifier (ESI) to the EVPN network, according to
   the 'service-carving' algorithm.

   While 'service-carving' provides an efficient and automated way of
   selecting the DF across different EVIs or ISIDs in the ES, there are
   some use-cases where a more 'deterministic' and user-controlled
   method is required. At the same time, Service Providers require an
   easy way to force an on-demand DF switchover in order to carry out
   some maintenance tasks on the existing DF or control whether a new
   active PE can preempt the existing DF PE.

   This document proposes an extension to the current RFC7432 DF
   election procedures so that the above requirements can be met.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bess-evpn-pref-df/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-bess-evpn-pref-df-00
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-bess-evpn-pref-df-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/