Subject: I-D Action: draft-eckert-bier-te-frr-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2017 08:42:18 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Protection Methods for BIER-TE
        Authors         : Toerless Eckert
                          Gregory Cauchie
                          Wolfgang Braun
                          Michael Menth
	Filename        : draft-eckert-bier-te-frr-02.txt
	Pages           : 16
	Date            : 2017-06-30

Abstract:
   This document proposes protection methods for the BIER-TE
   architecture [I-D.eckert-bier-te-arch].  These include 1+1 (live-
   live) path/tree [RFC7431] redundancy, 1:1 path/tree protection, as
   well as fast reroute (FRR) methods.  The latter may protect against
   link and/or node failures and leverage infrastructure tunnels, BIER-
   in-BIER encapsulation, or header modification for implementation.

   In particular, this memo describes FRR for BIER-TE in detail.  FRR
   for BIER-TE requires support from the BIER-TE controller and the BFRs
   that are attached to a link/adjacency for which FRR protection is
   desired.  FRR relies on the BIER header described in
   [I-D.ietf-bier-architecture] which is also used by BIER-TE.  It does
   not require extensions or modifications to existing BIER-TE tables.
   However, the presented FRR procedures need some additional forwarding
   plane logic on the BFR.  An additional table is needed that carries
   information about pre-computed backup paths.  When a failure is
   detected, the information from this table is used to modify the
   bitstring in the BIER header before forwarding a packet over a backup
   path.  To prevent undesired packet duplication, packets should be
   tunneled on the backup paths.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-eckert-bier-te-frr/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-eckert-bier-te-frr-02
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-eckert-bier-te-frr-02

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-eckert-bier-te-frr-02

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/