Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-tcpm-dctcp-07.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2017 00:19:47 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the TCP Maintenance and Minor Extensions of the IETF.

        Title           : Datacenter TCP (DCTCP): TCP Congestion Control for Datacenters
        Authors         : Stephen Bensley
                          Dave Thaler
                          Praveen Balasubramanian
                          Lars Eggert
                          Glenn Judd
	Filename        : draft-ietf-tcpm-dctcp-07.txt
	Pages           : 15
	Date            : 2017-06-01

Abstract:
   This informational memo describes Datacenter TCP (DCTCP), a TCP
   congestion control scheme for datacenter traffic.  DCTCP extends the
   Explicit Congestion Notification (ECN) processing to estimate the
   fraction of bytes that encounter congestion, rather than simply
   detecting that some congestion has occurred.  DCTCP then scales the
   TCP congestion window based on this estimate.  This method achieves
   high burst tolerance, low latency, and high throughput with shallow-
   buffered switches.  This memo also discusses deployment issues
   related to the coexistence of DCTCP and conventional TCP, the lack of
   a negotiating mechanism between sender and receiver, and presents
   some possible mitigations.  This memo documents existing DCTCP
   implementations ([WINDOWS], [LINUX], [FREEBSD]) and deployment
   experience ([MORGANSTANLEY]).  DCTCP as described in this draft is
   applicable to deployments in controlled environments like datacenters
   but it must not be deployed over the public Internet without
   additional measures, as detailed in Section 5.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tcpm-dctcp/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-tcpm-dctcp-07
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-tcpm-dctcp-07

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-tcpm-dctcp-07

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/