Subject: I-D Action: draft-irtf-nfvrg-gaps-network-virtualization-06.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2017 01:10:53 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Network Function Virtualization of the IETF.

        Title           : Network Virtualization Research Challenges
        Authors         : Carlos J. Bernardos
                          Akbar Rahman
                          Juan Carlos Zuniga
                          Luis M. Contreras
                          Pedro Aranda
                          Pierre Lynch
	Filename        : draft-irtf-nfvrg-gaps-network-virtualization-06.txt
	Pages           : 38
	Date            : 2017-07-03

Abstract:
   This document describes open research challenges for network
   virtualization.  Network virtualization is following a similar path
   as previously taken by cloud computing.  Specifically, cloud
   computing popularized migration of computing functions (e.g.,
   applications) and storage from local, dedicated, physical resources
   to remote virtual functions accessible through the Internet.  In a
   similar manner, network virtualization is encouraging migration of
   networking functions from dedicated physical hardware nodes to a
   virtualized pool of resources.  However, network virtualization can
   be considered to be a more complex problem than cloud computing as it
   not only involves virtualization of computing and storage functions
   but also involves abstraction of the network itself.  This document
   describes current research challenges in network virtualization
   including guaranteeing quality-of-service, performance improvement,
   supporting multiple domains, network slicing, service composition,
   device virtualization, privacy and security, separation of control
   concerns, network function placement and testing.  In addition, some
   proposals are made for new activities in IETF/IRTF that could address
   some of these challenges.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-irtf-nfvrg-gaps-network-virtualization/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-irtf-nfvrg-gaps-network-virtualization-06
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-irtf-nfvrg-gaps-network-virtualization-06

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-irtf-nfvrg-gaps-network-virtualization-06

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/