Subject: I-D Action: draft-slevinski-formal-signwriting-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2017 08:02:39 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Formal SignWriting
        Author          : Stephen E Slevinski Jr
	Filename        : draft-slevinski-formal-signwriting-03.txt
	Pages           : 42
	Date            : 2017-07-20

Abstract:
   Sutton SignWriting is the universal and complete solution for written
   sign language.  It has been applied by a wide and deep international
   community of sign language users.  Sutton SignWriting is an
   international standard for writing sign languages by hand or with
   computers.  From education to research, from entertainment to
   religion, SignWriting has proven useful because people are using it
   to write signed languages.

   Formal SignWriting (FSW) is a faithful character-encoding of Sutton
   SignWriting based on 2-dimensional mathematics.  FSW defines a formal
   language for written sign languages where any sign of any sign
   language can be written as a string of ASCII or Unicode characters.
   The mathematical names are explained with tokens and regular
   expression patterns.  Signs are written in a spatial SignBox, where
   each symbol is positioned with a 2-dimension Cartesian coordinate.
   For sorting, each sign can have an optional temporal sequence of
   symbols that is outside of the SignBox.  To create sentences, signs
   are written sequentially, interspersed with punctuation symbols.

   The styling string of Formal SignWriting uses a lite markup to define
   a variety of styling options.  The entire sign can be customized for
   padding, coloring, and size.  Individual symbols within a sign can be
   customized for coloring and size.  For SVG, class names and IDs can
   be defined.

   The query language of Formal SignWriting uses a lite markup, similar
   to FSW, to define a variety of searching possibilities.  The spatial
   SignBox can be searched for symbols or ranges of symbols.  For each
   symbol or range, the search can specify if the symbol only needs to
   be found somewhere in the SignBox, or if the symbol needs to be found
   near certain coordinates.  The temporal sequence can be searched for
   starting symbols, written as a sequential list of symbols and ranges
   of symbols.  When searching the temporal sequence, the search results
   will be limited to signs that start with a matching temporal
   sequence.  Each query string is transformed into one or more regular
   expressions.  The regular expressions are used to quickly search
   large amounts of data.

   Formal SignWriting has been specifically designed to integrate with
   standard technology on the phone, tablet, and desktop.  Four main
   components make this integration possible: 1) Fonts, 2) Scalar Vector
   Graphics, 3) HTML and CSS, and 4) JavaScript.

   Formal SignWriting as ASCII characters is compatible with and
   optimized for UTF-8.  There are 2 options for Formal SignWriting in
   Unicode.  Option 1 is an alternate encoding that replaces the Sutton
   SignWriting block in Unicode.  Option 1 focuses on small size, simple
   design, and ease of use.  Option 2 is an encoding that is 97.5%
   official Unicode with defined characters in the Sutton SignWriting
   block.  Option 2 focuses on augmenting the Unicode 8 standard with 17
   new control characters for a design that is compatible with Formal
   SignWriting.

   This memo defines a conceptual character encoding map for the
   Internet community.  It is published for reference, examination,
   implementation, and evaluation.  Distribution of this memo is
   unlimited.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-slevinski-formal-signwriting/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-slevinski-formal-signwriting-03
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-slevinski-formal-signwriting-03

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-slevinski-formal-signwriting-03

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/