Subject: I-D Action: draft-saldana-tsvwg-simplemux-07.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2017 00:43:39 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Simplemux. A generic multiplexing protocol
        Author          : Jose Saldana
	Filename        : draft-saldana-tsvwg-simplemux-07.txt
	Pages           : 14
	Date            : 2017-07-31

Abstract:
   The high amount of small packets present in nowaday's networks
   results in a low efficiency, as the size of the headers and the
   payload of these packets can be in the same order of magnitude.  In
   some situations, multiplexing a number of small packets into a bigger
   one is desirable in order to improve the efficiency.  For example, a
   number of small packets can be sent together between a pair of
   machines if they share a common network path.  Thus, the traffic
   profile can be shifted from small to larger packets, reducing the
   network overhead and the number of packets per second to be managed
   by intermediate routers.

   This document describes Simplemux, a protocol able to encapsulate a
   number of packets belonging to different protocols into a single
   packet.  Small headers (separators) are added at the beginning of
   each multiplexed packet, including some flags, the packet length and
   a "Protocol" field.  This allows the inclusion of a number of packets
   belonging to different protocols (the "multiplexed packets") on a
   packet of another protocol (the "tunneling protocol").

   In order to reduce the overhead, the size of the multiplexing headers
   is kept very low (it may be a single byte when multiplexing small
   packets).

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-saldana-tsvwg-simplemux/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-saldana-tsvwg-simplemux-07
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-saldana-tsvwg-simplemux-07

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-saldana-tsvwg-simplemux-07

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/