Subject: I-D Action: draft-west-let-localhost-be-localhost-05.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2017 01:43:28 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Let 'localhost' be localhost.
        Author          : Mike West
	Filename        : draft-west-let-localhost-be-localhost-05.txt
	Pages           : 8
	Date            : 2017-08-14

Abstract:
   This document updates RFC6761 with the goal of ensuring that
   "localhost" can be safely relied upon as a name for the local host's
   loopback interface.  To that end, stub resolvers are required to
   resolve localhost names to loopback addresses.  Recursive DNS servers
   are required to return "NXDOMAIN" when queried for localhost names,
   which will cause non-conformant stub resolvers to fail safely closed.
   Together, these requirements would allow applications and
   specifications to join regular users in drawing the common-sense
   conclusions that "localhost" means "localhost", and doesn't resolve
   to somewhere else on the network.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-west-let-localhost-be-localhost/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-west-let-localhost-be-localhost-05
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-west-let-localhost-be-localhost-05

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-west-let-localhost-be-localhost-05

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/