Subject: I-D Action: draft-lucas-coap-multicast-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2017 07:18:02 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : CoAP Multicast
        Author          : Roger Lucas
	Filename        : draft-lucas-coap-multicast-00.txt
	Pages           : 4
	Date            : 2017-09-13

Abstract:
  Multicast is a preferred approach to send a single message to
  multiple recipients but it is typically lossy. CoAP is the choice of
  messaging for IoT. If using multicast to transmit CoAP messages
  there is a risk they get lost and a further risk that sequences of
  messages get disrupted and leave the system in an unknown or
  unpleasant state.

  In the device world we might want to guarantee that a whole sequence
  of commands arrives at the device. For example a sequence to Open,
  Report, Do some action, and Close. It is better that all of these
  messages arrive or all of them do not arrive rather than have some
  of them arrive and to not know which ones failed.

  CoAP messages tend to be small due to constrained resources on the
  recipient devices. Existing frame sizes though are relatively large
  so it is possible to pack these frames with several smaller CoAP
  messages and send them as a group.

  CoAP Multicast proposes the simplest way to do this. It is a device
  independent method and adds no need for encryption channels.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-lucas-coap-multicast/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-lucas-coap-multicast-00
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-lucas-coap-multicast-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/