Subject: I-D Action: draft-lucas-assure-data-security-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2017 07:52:40 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : aSSURE Data Security
        Author          : Roger Lucas
	Filename        : draft-lucas-assure-data-security-00.txt
	Pages           : 71
	Date            : 2017-09-13

Abstract:
   aSSURE uses industry standards and best practice to provide a
   secure communications platform for device configuration and life
   cycle management across the entire range of smart devices, from
   the largest servers through to more constrained devices, with
   minimal human involvement. Based on extensions to current standard
   methods, aSSURE also provides secure end to end communication
   across any network type.

   A new approach allows key distribution and encrypted channels to
   be established between devices that support RSA, EC and/or simple
   shared secrets. For devices that only support shared secrets, key
   derivation algorithms ensure that forward and backward compatible
   secrecy is supported so that secure change of ownership can be
   obtained. Owners prove ownership via a "case ID" known by the
   manufacturer and the "Trusted Authority" ID Server but not known
   by the device.

   aSSURE defines end-to-end encryption links, called "channels", so
   that pairs of devices communicate with a unique set of encryption
   keys. These unique keys, coupled with the end-to-end encryption,
   mean communication is both secure and private.

   DTLS supports both certificates and pre-shared keys, but does not
   cover key distribution or management. DTLS does not support
   client-specific pre-shared keys because the client cannot identify
   itself during the handshake. Herein are all the APIs required to
   support key distribution and management as well as an extension to
   the DTLS handshake that allows the client identity to be provided.

   aSSURE cleanly integrates with the Open Interconnect Consortium
   (OIC) architecture. Both use CBOR encoded data with CoAP over UDP
   and DTLS. aSSURE URIs do not collide with OIC URIs and aSSURE
   channels can be used as a secure transport for OIC requests.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-lucas-assure-data-security/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-lucas-assure-data-security-00
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-lucas-assure-data-security-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/