Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-teas-pce-central-control-05.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 04 Sep 2017 03:28:26 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Traffic Engineering Architecture and Signaling WG of the IETF.

        Title           : An Architecture for Use of PCE and PCEP in a Network with Central Control
        Authors         : Adrian Farrel
                          Quintin Zhao
                          Robin Li
                          Chao Zhou
	Filename        : draft-ietf-teas-pce-central-control-05.txt
	Pages           : 25
	Date            : 2017-09-04

Abstract:
   The Path Computation Element (PCE) is a core component of Software
   Defined Networking (SDN) systems.  It can compute optimal paths for
   traffic across a network and can also update the paths to reflect
   changes in the network or traffic demands.

   PCE was developed to derive paths for MPLS Label Switched Paths
   (LSPs) supplying them to the head end of the LSP using the Path
   Computation Element Communication Protocol (PCEP).

   SDN has a broader applicability than signaled MPLS traffic engineered
   networks, and the PCE may be used to determine paths in a range of
   use cases including static LSPs, segment routing, service function
   chaining, and most forms of routed or switched network.  It is,
   therefore, reasonable to consider PCEP as a control protocol for use
   in these environments to allow the PCE to be fully enabled as a
   central controller.

   This document briefly introduces the architecture for PCE as a
   central controller, examines the motivations and applicability for
   PCEP as a control protocol in this environment, and introduces the
   implications for the protocol.  A PCE-based central controller can
   simplify the processing of distributed control plane by blending it
   with elements of SDN and without necessarily completely replacing it.

   This document does not describe use cases in detail and does not
   define protocol extensions: that work is left for other documents.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-teas-pce-central-control/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-teas-pce-central-control-05
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-teas-pce-central-control-05

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-teas-pce-central-control-05

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/