Subject: I-D Action: draft-pan-dnsop-edns-isp-location-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 25 Sep 2017 23:45:49 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : ISP Location in DNS Queries
        Authors         : Lanlan Pan
                          Yu Fu
	Filename        : draft-pan-dnsop-edns-isp-location-03.txt
	Pages           : 20
	Date            : 2017-09-25

Abstract:
   Nowadays, many Authoritative Nameservers support GeoIP feature, they
   guess the user's geolocation by the client subnet of EDNS Client
   Subnet (ECS) or by the source IP address of DNS query, return tailor
   DNS response based on the user's geolocation.  However, ECS raises
   some privacy concerns because it leaks client subnet information on
   the resolution path to the Authoritative Nameserver.

   This document is inspired by EDNS Client Subnet (ECS), describes an
   improved solution for GeoIP-enabled Authoritative Nameservers,
   defines an EDNS ISP Location (EIL) extension to address the privacy
   problem of ECS, tries to find the right balance between privacy
   improvement and user experience optimization.

   EIL is defined to convey isp location < COUNTRY, AREA, ISP >
   information that is relevant to the DNS message.  It will directly
   provide the same sufficient information for the GeoIP-enabled
   Authoritative Nameserver as ECS, to decide the response without
   guessing geolocation of the IP address.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-pan-dnsop-edns-isp-location/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-pan-dnsop-edns-isp-location-03
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-pan-dnsop-edns-isp-location-03

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-pan-dnsop-edns-isp-location-03

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/