Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-lpwan-ipv6-static-context-hc-06.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2017 06:41:45 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the IPv6 over Low Power Wide-Area Networks WG of the IETF.

        Title           : LPWAN Static Context Header Compression (SCHC) and fragmentation for IPv6 and UDP
        Authors         : Ana Minaburo
                          Laurent Toutain
                          Carles Gomez
	Filename        : draft-ietf-lpwan-ipv6-static-context-hc-06.txt
	Pages           : 38
	Date            : 2017-09-12

Abstract:
   This document describes a header compression scheme and fragmentation
   functionality for very low bandwidth networks.  These techniques are
   especially tailored for LPWAN (Low Power Wide Area Network) networks.

   The Static Context Header Compression (SCHC) offers a great level of
   flexibility when processing the header fields and must be used for
   these kind of networks.  A common context stored in a LPWAN device
   and in the network is used.  This context keeps information that will
   not be transmitted in the constrained network.  Static context means
   that information stored in the context, which describes field values,
   does not change during packet transmission.  This avoids complex
   resynchronization mechanisms, which are incompatible with LPWAN
   characteristics.  In most cases, IPv6/UDP headers are reduced to a
   small identifier called Rule ID.  But sometimes, a packet will not be
   compressed enough by SCHC to fit in one L2 PDU, and the SCHC
   fragmentation protocol will be used.

   This document describes the SCHC compression/decompression framework
   and applies it to IPv6/UDP headers.  Similar solutions for other
   protocols such as CoAP will be described in separate documents.
   Moreover, this document specifies a fragmentation and reassembly
   mechanism that is used in two situations: for SCHC-compressed packets
   that still exceed the L2 PDU size; and for the case where the SCHC
   compression cannot be performed.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-lpwan-ipv6-static-context-hc/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-lpwan-ipv6-static-context-hc-06
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-lpwan-ipv6-static-context-hc-06

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-lpwan-ipv6-static-context-hc-06

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/