Subject: I-D Action: draft-cheshire-sudn-ipv4only-dot-arpa-08.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2017 16:53:14 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Special Use Domain Name 'ipv4only.arpa'
        Authors         : Stuart Cheshire
                          David Schinazi
	Filename        : draft-cheshire-sudn-ipv4only-dot-arpa-08.txt
	Pages           : 15
	Date            : 2017-10-30

Abstract:
   The specification for how a client discovers its network's NAT64
   prefix [RFC7050] defines the special name 'ipv4only.arpa' for this
   purpose, but declares it to be a non-special name in that
   specification's Domain Name Reservation Considerations section.

   Consequently, despite the well articulated special purpose of the
   name, (at the time of writing) 'ipv4only.arpa' still does not appear
   as one of the names with special properties recorded in the Special-
   Use Domain Names registry.

   As a result of this omission, in cases where software needs to give
   this name special treatment in order for it to work correctly, there
   is no clear mandate authorizing software authors to implement that
   special treatment.  Software implementers are left with the choice
   between not implementing the special behavior necessary for the name
   queries to work correctly, or implementing the special behavior and
   being accused of being noncompliant with some RFC.

   This document formally declares the actual special properties of the
   name, and adds similar declarations for the corresponding reverse
   mapping names.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-cheshire-sudn-ipv4only-dot-arpa/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-cheshire-sudn-ipv4only-dot-arpa-08
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-cheshire-sudn-ipv4only-dot-arpa-08

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-cheshire-sudn-ipv4only-dot-arpa-08

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/