Subject: I-D Action: draft-bryant-mpls-unified-ip-sr-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2017 06:05:43 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Multiprotocol Label Switching WG of the IETF.

        Title           : MPLS Segment Routing in IP Networks
        Authors         : Stewart Bryant
                          Adrian Farrel
                          John Drake
                          Jeff Tantsura
	Filename        : draft-bryant-mpls-unified-ip-sr-03.txt
	Pages           : 18
	Date            : 2017-10-30

Abstract:
   Segment routing is a source routed forwarding method that allows
   packets to be steered through a network on paths other than the
   shortest path derived from the routing protocol.  The approach uses
   information encoded in the packet header to partially or completely
   specify the route the packet takes through the network, and does not
   make use of a signaling protocol to pre-install paths in the network.

   Two different encapsulations have been defined to enable segment
   routing in an MPLS network or in an IPv6 network.  While
   acknowledging that there is a strong need to support segment routing
   in both environments, this document defines a mechanism to carry MPLS
   segment routing packets encapsulated in UDP.  The resulting approach
   is applicable to both IPv4 and IPv6 networks without the need for any
   changes to the IP or segment routing specifications.

   This document makes no changes to the segment routing architecture
   and builds on existing protocol mechanisms such as the encapsulation
   of MPLS within UDP defined in RFC 7510.

   No new procedures are introduced, but existing mechanisms are
   combined to achieve the desired result.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-bryant-mpls-unified-ip-sr/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-bryant-mpls-unified-ip-sr-03
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-bryant-mpls-unified-ip-sr-03

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-bryant-mpls-unified-ip-sr-03

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/