Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-dnsop-let-localhost-be-localhost-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2017 05:17:18 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Domain Name System Operations WG of the IETF.

        Title           : Let 'localhost' be localhost.
        Author          : Mike West
	Filename        : draft-ietf-dnsop-let-localhost-be-localhost-01.txt
	Pages           : 9
	Date            : 2017-10-24

Abstract:
   This document updates RFC6761 with the goal of ensuring that
   "localhost" can be safely relied upon as a name for the local host's
   loopback interface.  To that end, stub resolvers are required to
   resolve localhost names to loopback addresses.  Recursive DNS servers
   are required to return "NXDOMAIN" when queried for localhost names,
   making non-conformant stub resolvers more likely to fail and produce
   problem reports that result in updates.

   Together, these requirements would allow applications and
   specifications to join regular users in drawing the common-sense
   conclusions that "localhost" means "localhost", and doesn't resolve
   to somewhere else on the network.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnsop-let-localhost-be-localhost/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dnsop-let-localhost-be-localhost-01
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-dnsop-let-localhost-be-localhost-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-dnsop-let-localhost-be-localhost-01

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/