Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-tcpm-alternativebackoff-ecn-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2017 14:26:43 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the TCP Maintenance and Minor Extensions WG of the IETF.

        Title           : TCP Alternative Backoff with ECN (ABE)
        Authors         : Naeem Khademi
                          Michael Welzl
                          Grenville Armitage
                          Godred Fairhurst
	Filename        : draft-ietf-tcpm-alternativebackoff-ecn-02.txt
	Pages           : 12
	Date            : 2017-10-20

Abstract:
   Recent Active Queue Management (AQM) mechanisms instantiate shallow
   buffers with burst tolerance to minimise the time that packets spend
   enqueued at a bottleneck.  However, shallow buffering can cause
   noticeable performance degradation when TCP is used over a network
   path with a large bandwidth-delay-product.  Traditional methods rely
   on detecting network congestion through reported loss of transport
   packets.  Explicit Congestion Notification (ECN) instead allows a
   router to directly signal incipient congestion.  A sending endpoint
   can distinguish when congestion is signalled via ECN, rather than by
   packet loss.  An ECN signal indicates that an AQM mechanism has done
   its job, and therefore the bottleneck network queue is likely to be
   shallow.  This document therefore proposes an update to the TCP
   sender-side ECN reaction in congestion avoidance to reduce the
   Congestion Window (cwnd) by a smaller amount than the congestion
   control algorithm's reaction to loss.  This document also recommends
   this approach to be adopted by any other transport protocol that
   implements a congestion control reduction to an ECN congestion
   signal.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tcpm-alternativebackoff-ecn/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-tcpm-alternativebackoff-ecn-02
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-tcpm-alternativebackoff-ecn-02

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-tcpm-alternativebackoff-ecn-02

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/