Subject: I-D Action: draft-agrewal-idr-accept-own-nexthop-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2017 16:02:55 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : BGP accept-own-nexthop community attribute
        Authors         : Ashutosh Grewal
                          Nischal Sheth
                          Kaliraj Vairavakkalai
	Filename        : draft-agrewal-idr-accept-own-nexthop-00.txt
	Pages           : 7
	Date            : 2017-10-19

Abstract:
   Various Service chain techniques utilize a Controller to inject
   Border Gateway Protocol (BGP) Virtual Private Network (VPN) routes to
   help steer traffic through a given path.  The Controller does so by
   controlling how these VPN routes are imported into various Virtual
   Routing and Forwarding (VRF) tables at routers along the desired
   path.  A couple of such approaches are specified in
   [I-D.ietf-bess-service-chaining].  These approaches rely on the
   Controller modifying the Route Target (RT) list and next-hop of a VPN
   route received from a downstream router and redistributing these
   modified routes to upstream routers.  This is done such that -

   o  routes originated by an ingress VRF at the downstream router are
      imported into the egress VRF at the immediately preceding upstream
      router and

   o  next-hop advertised to the upstream router is the address of the
      immediately succeeding downstream router.

   This forces the traffic to flow through a sequence of network
   functions creating a service chain.

   This works fine as long as the VRF importing the route received from
   the Controller is on a different router than the VRF that originally
   exported the route to the Controller.  This is because BGP protocol
   [RFC4271] specifies that a router reject routes received with its own
   next-hop.  This document proposes a new community the reception of
   which relaxes this particular rule in the BGP protocol standard and
   describes at least one way of how next-hops of such routes could be
   resolved.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-agrewal-idr-accept-own-nexthop/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-agrewal-idr-accept-own-nexthop-00
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-agrewal-idr-accept-own-nexthop-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/