Subject: I-D Action: draft-lubashev-ipv6-addr-mask-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2017 12:25:29 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : A Recommendation for IPv6 Address/Mask Notation
        Authors         : Igor Lubashev
                          Erik Nygren
	Filename        : draft-lubashev-ipv6-addr-mask-01.txt
	Pages           : 12
	Date            : 2017-10-27

Abstract:
   Since network operators are commonly assigned at least /48 IPv6
   address prefixes, the operators and standards occasionally find
   opportunities to devise addressing schemes that further assign
   operational semantics to less significant bit ranges.  There is
   currently no standard or interoperable textual representation of
   addresses sharing bit patterns that are not prefixes.  This RFC
   introduces IPv6 Address/Mask notation that allows one to represent
   address groupings beyond "all addresses that share a single prefix".
   The representation is similar to the IPv4 address/mask notation in
   its expressiveness, but it is derived from the familiar address/
   prefix-length notation for clarity and compatibility with existing
   parsers.

   For example, using this representation, both 2001:db8::/32 and
   2001:db8:://ffff:ffff:: have the same meaning.  However, a group of
   addresses having the first 32 bits "2001:0db8::" and the last 16 bits
   "::1234" requires the new representation:
   2001:db8::1234//ffff:ffff::ffff or, equivalently,
   2001:db8::1234//32+::ffff.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-lubashev-ipv6-addr-mask/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-lubashev-ipv6-addr-mask-01
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-lubashev-ipv6-addr-mask-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-lubashev-ipv6-addr-mask-01

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/