Subject: I-D Action: draft-tschofenig-layered-tls-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2017 13:13:56 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Layered DTLS/TLS
        Authors         : Hannes Tschofenig
                          Mark Baugher
	Filename        : draft-tschofenig-layered-tls-00.txt
	Pages           : 15
	Date            : 2017-10-30

Abstract:
   TLS and increasingly also DTLS are frequently used to provide channel
   security for Internet of Things (IoT) communication.  On the Web and
   smart phones, TLS is already the defacto approach for securing
   protocol interactions.  While the end-to-end security offered by TLS,
   particularly TLS 1.3, is already too much for some, there are others
   who believe that TLS is insufficient.  While the former group is
   working on ways to weaken TLS security, the latter group is
   interested in designing an application layer security solution.
   Whether application-layer security is used in addition to or as a
   substitute for transport-layer security is of secondary importance.
   However, the security needs for such an application layer solution
   are similar, if not identical, to those that drove the design of TLS.
   This is for an obvious reason: Security requirements are not tied to
   the name of a security protocol nor to the layer at which it is
   executed.  One can make this observation also in other areas, such as
   with the increasing similarity of Internet Key Exchange (IKE) and the
   TLS handshake protocols.

   These discussions within the IETF inspired the document authors to
   explore whether TLS could actually be used also at the application
   layer and how complex it would be.  We call this approach "Layered
   TLS" since TLS may, in some scenarios, be executed at two layers:
   above the transport layer in the traditional manner and also at the
   application layer.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-tschofenig-layered-tls/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-tschofenig-layered-tls-00
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-tschofenig-layered-tls-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/