Subject: I-D Action: draft-rosenau-prenegotiated-options-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2017 08:00:47 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Prenegotiated options for IP, ICMP and TCP headers
        Author          : Martin D. J. Rosenau
	Filename        : draft-rosenau-prenegotiated-options-00.txt
	Pages           : 5
	Date            : 2017-12-22

Abstract:
   In many cases (example: PPTP [RFC2637]) a data transfer between two
   hosts is initiated by using "generic" protocols (in the case of PPTP
   this is UDP) and later on "special" protocols (in the case of PPTP
   this is GRE) are used.

   The drawback in this case is that the IANA has to assign protcol
   numbers (in the case of GRE this is 47)

   The same is true for TCP header "options" and ICMP packet "types".

   To avoid assigning numbers by the IANA this document proposes to
   reserve a range of protocol numbers for "negotiation" instead.
   During the phase using "generic" protocols the two hosts negotiate a
   protocol number in that range.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-rosenau-prenegotiated-options/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-rosenau-prenegotiated-options-00
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-rosenau-prenegotiated-options-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/