Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-bess-service-chaining-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2018 01:27:47 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the BGP Enabled ServiceS WG of the IETF.

        Title           : Service Chaining using Virtual Networks with BGP VPNs
        Authors         : Rex Fernando
                          Stuart Mackie
                          Dhananjaya Rao
                          Bruno Rijsman
                          Maria Napierala
                          Thomas Morin
	Filename        : draft-ietf-bess-service-chaining-04.txt
	Pages           : 41
	Date            : 2018-02-12

Abstract:
   This document describes how service function chains (SFC) can be
   applied to traffic flows using routing in a virtual (overlay) network
   to steer traffic between service nodes. Chains can include services
   running in routers, on physical appliances or in virtual machines.
   Service chains have applicability at the subscriber edge, business
   edge and in multi-tenant datacenters. The routing function into SFCs
   and between service functions within an SFC can be performed by
   physical devices (routers), be virtualized inside hypervisors, or run
   as part of a host OS.

   A BGP control plane for route distribution is used to create virtual
   networks implemented using IP MPLS, VXLAN or other suitable
   encapsulation, where the routes within the virtual networks cause
   traffic to flow through a sequence of service nodes that apply packet
   processing functions to the flows.

   Two techniques are described: in one the service chain is implemented
   as a sequence of distinct VPNs between sets of service nodes that
   apply each service function; in the other, the routes within a VPN
   are modified through the use of special route targets and modified
   next-hop resolution to achieve the desired result.

   In both techniques, service chains can be created by manual
   configuration of routes and route targets in routing systems, or
   through the use of a controller which contains a topological model of
   the desired service chains.

   This document also contains discussion of load balancing between
   network functions, symmetric forward and reverse paths when stateful
   services are involved, and use of classifiers to direct traffic into
   a service chain.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-bess-service-chaining/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-bess-service-chaining-04
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-bess-service-chaining-04

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-bess-service-chaining-04

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/