Subject: I-D Action: draft-stenn-ntp-mac-last-ef-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2018 04:52:20 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Network Time Protocol
    MAC/Last Extension Fields
        Authors         : Harlan Stenn
                          Danny Mayer
	Filename        : draft-stenn-ntp-mac-last-ef-02.txt
	Pages           : 7
	Date            : 2018-02-22

Abstract:
   NTPv4 is defined by RFC 5905 [RFC5905], and it and earlier versions
   of the NTP Protocol have supported symmetric private key Message
   Authentication Code (MAC) authentication.  MACs were first described
   in Appendix C of RFC 1305 [RFC1305] and are further described in RFC
   5905 [RFC5905].  As the number of Extension Fields grows there is an
   increasing chance of a parsing ambiguity when deciding if the "next"
   set of data is an Extension Field or a legacy MAC.  This proposal
   defines two new Extension Fields which may be used to avoid this
   ambiguity.  One, LAST-EF, is used to signify that it is the last
   Extension Field in the packet.  If the LAST-EF is present, any
   subsequent data MUST be considered to be a legacy MAC.  The other,
   MAC-EF, allows one or more MACs to be encapsulated in an Extension
   Field.  If all parties in an association support MAC-EF, the use of a
   legacy MAC may be avoided.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-stenn-ntp-mac-last-ef/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-stenn-ntp-mac-last-ef-02
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-stenn-ntp-mac-last-ef-02

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-stenn-ntp-mac-last-ef-02

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/