Subject: I-D Action: draft-spiriyath-ipsecme-dynamic-ipsec-pmtu-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2018 06:27:09 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Packetization Layer Path Maximum Transmission Unit Discovery (PLPMTUD) For IPsec Tunnels
        Authors         : Shibu Piriyath
                          Umesh Mangla
                          Nagavenkata Suresh Melam
                          Ron Bonica
	Filename        : draft-spiriyath-ipsecme-dynamic-ipsec-pmtu-01.txt
	Pages           : 13
	Date            : 2018-03-01

Abstract:
   This document describes Packetization Layer PMTU Discovery (PLPMTUD)
   procedures for IPSec tunnels.  In these procedures, the encrypting
   node discovers and maintains a running estimate of the tunnel MTU.
   In order to do this, the encrypting nodes sends Probe Packets of
   various size through the IPSec tunnel.  If the size of Probe Packet
   exceeds the tunnel MTU, a downstream node discards the packet and
   sends an ICMP PTB message to the encrypting node.  The encrypting
   node ignores the ICMP PTB message.  If the size of the Probe Packet
   does not exceed the tunnel MTU and the decrypting node receives the
   Probe Packet, the decrypting node sends an Acknowledgement Packet to
   encrypting node through the IPSec tunnel.  The Acknowledgement Packet
   indicates the size of the Probe Packet.

   The procedures described in this document are applicable to IPSec
   tunnels that are signaled by IKEv2 and provide authentication
   services.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-spiriyath-ipsecme-dynamic-ipsec-pmtu/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-spiriyath-ipsecme-dynamic-ipsec-pmtu-01
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-spiriyath-ipsecme-dynamic-ipsec-pmtu-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-spiriyath-ipsecme-dynamic-ipsec-pmtu-01

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/