Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-pals-ethernet-cw-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2018 06:24:11 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Pseudowire And LDP-enabled Services WG of the IETF.

        Title           : Use of Ethernet Control Word RECOMMENDED
        Authors         : Stewart Bryant
                          Andrew G Malis
                          Ignas Bagdonas
	Filename        : draft-ietf-pals-ethernet-cw-03.txt
	Pages           : 9
	Date            : 2018-03-01

Abstract:
   The pseudowire (PW) encapsulation of Ethernet, as defined in RFC4448,
   specifies that the use of the control word (CW) is optional.  In the
   absence of the CW an Ethernet pseudowire packet can be misidentified
   as an IP packet by a label switching router (LSR).  This in turn may
   lead to the selection of the wrong equal-cost-multi-path (ECMP) path
   for the packet, leading in turn to the misordering of packets.  This
   problem has become more serious due to the deployment of equipment
   with Ethernet MAC addresses that start with 0x4 or 0x6.  The use of
   the Ethernet PW CW addresses this problem.  This document recommends
   the use of the Ethernet pseudowire control word in all but
   exceptional circumstances.

   This document updates RFC4448.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-pals-ethernet-cw/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-pals-ethernet-cw-03
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-pals-ethernet-cw-03

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-pals-ethernet-cw-03

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/