Subject: I-D Action: draft-xie-bier-mvpn-mpls-p2mp-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2018 04:39:24 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Multicast VPN Using MPLS P2MP and BIER
        Authors         : Jingrong Xie
                          Mike McBride
                          Mach Chen
                          Liang Geng
	Filename        : draft-xie-bier-mvpn-mpls-p2mp-01.txt
	Pages           : 24
	Date            : 2018-03-05

Abstract:
   The MVPN specifications allow the use of several different kinds of
   P-tunnel technology, such as mLDP P2MP, RSVP-TE P2MP and PIM SSM.  It
   is common for such a P-tunnel having a multicast-specific path.  Bit
   Index Explicit Replication (BIER) is an architecture that provides
   optimal multicast forwarding without requiring intermediate routers
   to maintain any per-flow state by using a multicast-specific BIER
   header.

   [I-D.ietf-bier-mvpn] delivers a solution of MVPN using SPF based BIER
   defined in [RFC8279].  It can not, however, support a multicast-
   specific path well, something common in legacy MVPN deployment.
   [RFC8279] provides a solution to support mid nodes without BIER-
   capability.  It can not, however, support deployment on a network
   that has edge nodes without BIER-capability, which is common in some
   SP-networks.

   This document introduces a seamless transition mechanism from legacy
   MVPN to MVPN using P2MP based BIER while preserving existing features
   such as multicast-specific PATH and Live-Live protection.  It also
   introduces a seamless Live-Live protection mechanism by re-using the
   Entropy field of the BIER header, and two methods to deploy BIER when
   edge nodes and/or mid nodes don't have BIER-capability.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-xie-bier-mvpn-mpls-p2mp/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-xie-bier-mvpn-mpls-p2mp-01
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-xie-bier-mvpn-mpls-p2mp-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-xie-bier-mvpn-mpls-p2mp-01

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/