Subject: I-D Action: draft-rosenberg-stir-callback-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2018 17:51:16 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Bootstrapping STIR Deployments with Self-Signed Certs and Callbacks
        Authors         : Jonathan Rosenberg
                          Cullen Jennings
	Filename        : draft-rosenberg-stir-callback-00.txt
	Pages           : 16
	Date            : 2018-03-01

Abstract:
   Robocalling has become an increasing problem in the Public Switched
   Telephone Network (PSTN).  A partial remedy for it is the provision
   of an authenticated caller ID in the PSTN, which today is lacking.
   Secure Telephone Identity Revisited (STIR) provides this through the
   usage of signed payloads in Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) calls.
   However, STIR deployment requires a global certificate system which
   allows for worldwide issuance of certifications that attest to which
   numbers a provider is responsible for.  Such a system is likely to
   take years to rollout.  To accelerate STIR deployment, this draft
   proposes a technique wherein STIR can be used without certificates
   that attest to number ownership.  This is done through a combination
   of self-signed certificates, reverse callbacks and cached
   validations.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-rosenberg-stir-callback/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-rosenberg-stir-callback-00
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-rosenberg-stir-callback-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/