Subject: I-D Action: draft-kuehlewind-taps-crypto-sep-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2018 08:50:52 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Separating Crypto Negotiation and Communication
        Authors         : Mirja Kuehlewind
                          Tommy Pauly
                          Christopher A. Wood
	Filename        : draft-kuehlewind-taps-crypto-sep-02.txt
	Pages           : 12
	Date            : 2018-03-05

Abstract:
   Secure transport protocols often consist of three logically distinct
   components: transport, control (handshake), and record protection.
   Typically, such a protocol contains a single module that is
   responsible for all three functions.  However, in many cases, this
   coupling is unnecessary.  For example, while cryptographic context
   and endpoint capabilities need to be known before encrypted
   application data can be sent on a specific transport connection,
   there is otherwise no technical constraint that a cryptographic
   handshake must be performed on said connection.  This document
   recommends a logical separation between transport, control, and
   record components of secure transport protocols.  We compare existing
   protocols such as Transport Layer Security, QUIC, and IKEv2+ESP in
   the context of this logical separation.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-kuehlewind-taps-crypto-sep/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-kuehlewind-taps-crypto-sep-02
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-kuehlewind-taps-crypto-sep-02

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-kuehlewind-taps-crypto-sep-02

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/