Subject: I-D Action: draft-eckert-bier-te-frr-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2018 11:40:59 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Protection Methods for BIER-TE
        Authors         : Toerless Eckert
                          Gregory Cauchie
                          Wolfgang Braun
                          Michael Menth
	Filename        : draft-eckert-bier-te-frr-03.txt
	Pages           : 16
	Date            : 2018-03-05

Abstract:
   This document proposes protection methods for the BIER-TE
   architecture [I-D.ietf-bier-te-arch].  These include 1+1 (live-live)
   path/tree [RFC7431] redundancy, 1:1 path/tree protection, as well as
   fast reroute (FRR) methods.  The latter may protect against link and/
   or node failures and leverage infrastructure tunnels, BIER-in-BIER
   encapsulation, or header modification for implementation.

   In particular, this memo describes FRR for BIER-TE in detail.  FRR
   for BIER-TE requires support from the BIER-TE controller and the BFRs
   that are attached to a link/adjacency for which FRR protection is
   desired.  FRR relies on the BIER header described in [RFC8279] which
   is also used by BIER-TE.  It does not require extensions or
   modifications to existing BIER-TE tables.  However, the presented FRR
   procedures need some additional forwarding plane logic on the BFR.
   An additional table is needed that carries information about pre-
   computed backup paths.  When a failure is detected, the information
   from this table is used to modify the bitstring in the BIER header
   before forwarding a packet over a backup path.  To prevent undesired
   packet duplication, packets should be tunneled on the backup paths.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-eckert-bier-te-frr/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-eckert-bier-te-frr-03
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-eckert-bier-te-frr-03

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-eckert-bier-te-frr-03

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/