Subject: I-D Action: draft-bhattacharyya-dice-less-on-coap-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 04 Mar 2018 12:03:22 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Lightweight Establishment of Secure Session (LESS) on CoAP
        Authors         : Abhijan Bhattacharyya
                          Tulika Bose
                          Arijit Ukil
                          Soma Bandyopadhyay
                          Arpan Pal
	Filename        : draft-bhattacharyya-dice-less-on-coap-01.txt
	Pages           : 19
	Date            : 2018-03-04

Abstract:
   Secure yet lightweight protocol for communication over the Internet
   for constrained node networks (CNN) is a pertinent problem.
   Constrained Application Layer Protocol (CoAP) mandates the use of
   Datagram Transport Layer Security (DTLS) for a secure transaction
   over CoAP. But DTLS is not a candidate technology for CNNs by
   design. The DTLS handshake overhead to establish the credentials for
   a session between two end-points in a CNN may not be resource
   efficient. There are ongoing efforts to secure one-time exchanges by
   ensuring object security at the application layer. But a composite
   standardized mechanism for resource-efficient end-to-end security
   credential establishment is much needed to cater both one-time
   exchanges as well as exchanges over a session. DTLS is essentially a
   combination of two operations: (1) the session protocol to establish
   the credentials (and this is the resource heavy part), (2) the
   record protocol to protect the information (this is the
   cryptographic part). This draft proposes to distribute the security
   responsibilities such that the session establishment happens in the
   application layer, leveraging the lightweight semantics of CoAP, and
   the record layer encryption happens by reusing the existing DTLS
   record-layer protocol. This way the proposed mechanism enables a
   resource-efficient session establishment mechanism besides reusing
   the existing DTLS encryption. Assuming a Pre-Shared Key (PSK)
   environment, this draft proposes an embedding of handshake for
   resource efficient end-to-end session establishment into CoAP. The
   session establishment procedure produces the necessary and
   sufficient inputs for seamless operation of the DTLS record-layer to
   secure the channel. Also, this mechanism ensures a direct security
   association between the end-applications for systems using
   middleboxes like proxies and/or gateways which may not be always
   trusted. The proposed approach provides a mechanism to securely
   traverse through such middleboxes through an end-to-end trusted
   channel.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-bhattacharyya-dice-less-on-coap/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-bhattacharyya-dice-less-on-coap-01
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-bhattacharyya-dice-less-on-coap-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-bhattacharyya-dice-less-on-coap-01

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/