Subject: I-D Action: draft-stw-whatsinaname-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2018 12:50:02 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Some Considerations on the Use of Domain Names Outside of the Global Public Domain Name System
        Author          : Suzanne Woolf
	Filename        : draft-stw-whatsinaname-02.txt
	Pages           : 14
	Date            : 2018-03-05

Abstract:
   From time to time, networking protocols need to be able to name
   things used within the protocol, and resolve the names created or
   referenced.  It's common for protocol designers to attempt to use
   domain names as the starting point for their systems of names, and
   the DNS protocol as the starting point for name resolution.  Such re-
   use of DNS naming and resolution conventions can cause issues if not
   carefully defined and handled, as applications and infrastructure in
   the modern Internet tend to assume that a "domain name" is an
   identifier that follows certain composition and allocation rules and
   is to be resolved by DNS protocol in the global default scope.

   This document acknowledges this class of extensions to the shared
   domain namespace and considers a framework for the properties a
   naming and resolution convention should have in the internet protocol
   environment, including the avoidance of collision with other uses of
   the namespace.  Depending to the answers to the suggested questions,
   the answer may be that domain names will not meet the constraints at
   hand.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-stw-whatsinaname/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-stw-whatsinaname-02
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-stw-whatsinaname-02

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-stw-whatsinaname-02

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/