Subject: I-D Action: draft-burger-stir-iana-cert-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2018 12:50:08 -0800

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Registry for Country-Specific Secure Telephone Identity (STIR) Root Certificates
        Author          : Eric W. Burger
	Filename        : draft-burger-stir-iana-cert-00.txt
	Pages           : 13
	Date            : 2018-03-05

Abstract:
   This document defines an IANA registry that maps country codes to
   secure telephone identity (STIR) root certificates authorized to
   create signing certificates for telephone numbers under the authority
   of a given country.  Some countries allow carriers to block
   unsolicited, automatically generated nuisance calls commonly known as
   'robocalls.'  The use of signed STIR tokens in the Session Initiation
   Protocol (SIP) may be useful in such scenarios to provide positive
   attestations as to call origin.  Legacy telephone numbering resources
   are administrated by national policy.  Unlike the market-driven use
   case of Web commerce, some nations may restrict the list of STIR root
   certificate authorities acceptable for issuing signing certificates
   for STIR tokens that provide attestations for their local legacy
   telephone numbering resources.  The registry described in this
   document enables call recipients in a first country to validate that
   signaling it receives from a caller with a telephone number claiming
   to be in a second country conforms to the second country's policy of
   (1) having a limited list of STIR root certificate authorities (or
   not) and (2) the certificate that produced the signature over the
   signaling is signed by one of those authorized STIR root certificate
   authorities.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-burger-stir-iana-cert/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-burger-stir-iana-cert-00
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-burger-stir-iana-cert-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/