Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-dnssd-privacy-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2018 09:13:34 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Extensions for Scalable DNS Service Discovery  WG of the IETF.

        Title           : Privacy Extensions for DNS-SD
        Authors         : Christian Huitema
                          Daniel Kaiser
	Filename        : draft-ietf-dnssd-privacy-04.txt
	Pages           : 25
	Date            : 2018-04-19

Abstract:
   DNS-SD (DNS Service Discovery) normally discloses information about
   both the devices offering services and the devices requesting
   services.  This information includes host names, network parameters,
   and possibly a further description of the corresponding service
   instance.  Especially when mobile devices engage in DNS Service
   Discovery over Multicast DNS at a public hotspot, a serious privacy
   problem arises.

   We propose to solve this problem by a two-stage approach.  In the
   first stage, hosts discover Private Discovery Service Instances via
   DNS-SD using special formats to protect their privacy.  These service
   instances correspond to Private Discovery Servers running on peers.
   In the second stage, hosts directly query these Private Discovery
   Servers via DNS-SD over TLS.  A pairwise shared secret necessary to
   establish these connections is only known to hosts authorized by a
   pairing system.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-dnssd-privacy/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-dnssd-privacy-04
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-dnssd-privacy-04

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-dnssd-privacy-04

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/