Subject: I-D Action: draft-guichard-sfc-nsh-sr-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2018 08:40:07 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : NSH and Segment Routing Integration for Service Function Chaining (SFC)
        Authors         : James N Guichard
                          Haoyu Song
                          Jeff Tantsura
                          Joel Halpern
                          Wim Henderickx
                          Mohamed Boucadair
	Filename        : draft-guichard-sfc-nsh-sr-01.txt
	Pages           : 15
	Date            : 2018-04-06

Abstract:
   This document describes two application scenarios where Network
   Service Header (NSH) and Segment Routing (SR) techniques can be
   deployed together to support Service Function Chaining (SFC) in an
   efficient manner while maintaining separation of the service and
   transport planes as originally intended by the SFC architecture.

   In the first scenario, an NSH-based SFC is created using SR as the
   transport between SFFs.  SR in this case is just one of many
   encapsulations that could be used to maintain the transport-
   independent nature of NSH-based service chains.

   In the second scenario, SR is used to represent each service hop of
   the NSH-based SFC as a segment within the segment-list.  SR and NSH
   in this case are integrated.

   In both scenarios SR is responsible for steering packets between SFFs
   of a given SFP while NSH is responsible for maintaining the integrity
   of the service plane, the SFC instance context, and any associated
   metadata.

   These application scenarios demonstrate that NSH and SR can work
   jointly and complement each other leaving the network operator with
   the flexibility to use whichever transport technology makes sense in
   specific areas of their network infrastructure, and still maintain an
   end-to-end service plane using NSH.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-guichard-sfc-nsh-sr/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-guichard-sfc-nsh-sr-01
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-guichard-sfc-nsh-sr-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-guichard-sfc-nsh-sr-01

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/