Subject: I-D Action: draft-ladar-stacie-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 11 May 2018 21:32:24 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Safely Turn Authentication Credentials Into Entropy (STACIE)
        Author          : Ladar Levison
	Filename        : draft-ladar-stacie-01.txt
	Pages           : 27
	Date            : 2018-05-11

Abstract:
   This document specifies a method for Safely Turning Authentication
   Credentials Into Entropy (STACIE) using an efficient Zero Knowledge
   Password Proof (ZKPP), and is provided as a standalone component
   suitable for use as a building block in other protocol development
   efforts.  The scheme was created to fill the emerging need for a
   standard which allows a single low entropy password to be used for
   user authentication and the derivation of strong encryption keys.
   The design is modular, and is conservative in its use of an arbitrary
   one-way cryptographic hash function.  The security of the scheme
   depends on the difficulty associated with reversing the hash function
   output back into the plain text input.  STACIE attempts to make
   discovering the plain text input through the use of brute force more
   difficult by correlating the amount of processing to the length of a
   user's plain text password.  The shorter the plain text password, the
   more processing is required, with the amount of additional,
   artificially required, work scaling exponentially for each character.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ladar-stacie/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ladar-stacie-01
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ladar-stacie-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ladar-stacie-01

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/