Subject: I-D Action: draft-iab-path-signals-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 16 May 2018 10:42:52 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Internet Architecture Board IETF of the IETF.

        Title           : Path Signals
        Author          : Ted Hardie
	Filename        : draft-iab-path-signals-00.txt
	Pages           : 9
	Date            : 2018-05-16

Abstract:
   This document discusses the nature of signals seen by on-path
   elements, contrasting implicit and explicit signals.  For example,
   TCP's state mechanics uses a series of well-known messages that are
   exchanged in the clear.  Because these are visible to network
   elements on the path between the two nodes setting up the transport
   connection, they are often used as signals by those network elements.
   In transports that do not exchange these messages in the clear, on-
   path network elements lack those signals.  This document recommends
   that explict signals be used by transports which encrypt their state
   mechanics.  It also recommends that a signal be exposed to the path
   only when the signal's originator intends that it be used by the
   network elements on the path.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-iab-path-signals/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-iab-path-signals-00
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-iab-path-signals-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/