Subject: I-D Action: draft-leddy-6man-truncate-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 04 May 2018 13:41:11 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Destination Originates Internet Control Message Protocol (ICMP) Packet Too Big (PTB) Messages
        Authors         : John Leddy
                          Ron Bonica
	Filename        : draft-leddy-6man-truncate-00.txt
	Pages           : 11
	Date            : 2018-05-04

Abstract:
   This document defines procedures that enhance Path MTU Discovery
   (PMTUD), so that it no longer relies on the network's ability to
   deliver an ICMP Packet Too Big (PTB) message from a downstream router
   to an IPv6 source node.  According to these procedures, selected
   packets carry a new IPv6 Destination option.  When a downstream
   router cannot forward one of these packets because of MTU issues, it
   truncates the packet, marks it to indicate that it has been
   truncated, and forwards it towards the destination node.

   When the destination node receives a packet that has been truncated,
   it sends an ICMP PTB message to the source node.  The source node
   uses MTU information contained by the ICMP PTB message to update its
   PMTU estimate.  The destination node does not deliver the truncated
   packet to upper layer protocols unless specifically requested to do
   so by the upper layer protocol.

   The procedures described herein rely on the network's ability to
   deliver an ICMP PTB message from the packet's destination to the
   packet's source.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-leddy-6man-truncate/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-leddy-6man-truncate-00
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-leddy-6man-truncate-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/