Subject: I-D Action: draft-feeney-t2trg-inter-network-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 28 May 2018 05:55:13 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Inter-network Coexistence in the Internet of Things
        Authors         : Laura Marie Feeney
                          Viktoria Fodor
	Filename        : draft-feeney-t2trg-inter-network-03.txt
	Pages           : 20
	Date            : 2018-05-28

Abstract:
   The breadth of IoT applications implies that there will be many
   diverse, administratively independent networks operating in the same
   physical location.  In many cases, these networks will use unlicensed
   spectrum, due to its low cost and ease of deployment.  However, this
   spectrum is becoming increasingly crowded.  IoT networks will
   therefore be subject to wireless interference, both from similar
   networks and from networks that use the wireless channel in very
   different ways.

   High-density, heterogeneous wireless environments present formidable
   challenges for network coexistence.  The PHY and MAC layers are
   primarily responsible for managing how radios use the channel.  But
   higher layer protocols are also a key factor in inter-network
   interaction.  To date, there have been few performance studies of
   coexistence in future IoT operating environments, particularly with
   respect to protocol behavior and network-scale interactions.

   This document describes key challenges for coexistence and highlights
   some recent research results that demonstrate the impact of protocol
   level interactions on network performance.  It identifies both
   concrete and speculative opportunities for the IRTF T2TRG community.
   The former include developing and documenting best practices for
   performance evaluation and contributing IoT-related protocols being
   developed within IETF.  The latter include speculative research into
   the design of high-layer protocols that allow networks to actively
   coordinate their access to the shared channel.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-feeney-t2trg-inter-network/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-feeney-t2trg-inter-network-03
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-feeney-t2trg-inter-network-03

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-feeney-t2trg-inter-network-03

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/