Subject: I-D Action: draft-iab-marnew-report-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 25 May 2018 14:17:42 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Internet Architecture Board IETF of the IETF.

        Title           : IAB Workshop on Managing Radio Networks in an Encrypted World (MaRNEW) Report
        Authors         : Natasha Rooney
                          Spencer Dawkins
	Filename        : draft-iab-marnew-report-02.txt
	Pages           : 26
	Date            : 2018-05-25

Abstract:
   The Internet Architecture Board (IAB) and GSM Association (GSMA) held
   a joint workshop on "Managing Radio Networks in an Encrypted World"
   (MaRNEW), on September 24-25, 2015.  This workshop aimed to discuss
   solutions for bandwidth optimisation on mobile networks for encrypted
   content, as current solutions rely on unencrypted content which is
   not indicative of the security needs of today's Internet users.  The
   workshop gathered IETF attendees, IAB members and participants from
   various organisations involved in the telecommunications industry
   including original equipment manufacturers, content providers, and
   mobile network operators.

   The group discussed the current Internet encryption trends and
   deployment issues identified within the IETF, and the privacy needs
   of users which should be adhered.  Solutions designed around sharing
   data from the network to the endpoints and vice versa were then
   discussed as well as analysing whether issues experienced when using
   current transport layer protocols are also playing a role here.
   Content providers and CDNs gave their own views of their experiences
   delivering their content with mobile network operators.  Finally,
   technical responses to regulation was discussed to help the regulated
   industries relay the issues of impossible-to-implement or bad-for-
   privacy technologies back to regulators.

   A group of suggested solutions were devised which will be discussed
   in various IETF groups moving forward.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-iab-marnew-report/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-iab-marnew-report-02
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-iab-marnew-report-02

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-iab-marnew-report-02

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/