Subject: I-D Action: draft-asmithee-tls-dnssec-downprot-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 15 May 2018 11:47:17 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : TLS Downgrade protection extension for TLS DNSSEC Authentication Chain Extension
        Authors         : Alan Smithee
                          Alan Smithee
	Filename        : draft-asmithee-tls-dnssec-downprot-00.txt
	Pages           : 5
	Date            : 2018-05-15

Abstract:
   This draft specifies a TLS extension that adds downgrade protection
   for another TLS extension, [dnssec-chain-extension].  Without the
   downgrade protection specified in this TLS extension, the only effect
   of deploying [dnssec-chain-extension] is to reduce TLS security from
   the standard "WebPKI security" to "WebPKI or DANE, whichever is
   weaker".

   This draft dictates that [dnssec-chain-extension] MUST only be used
   in combination with this TLS extension, whose only content is a two
   octet SupportLifetime value.  A value of 0 prohibits the TLS client
   from unilaterally requiring ongoing use of both TLS extensions based
   on prior observation of their use (pinning).  A non-zero value is the
   value in hours for which this TLS extension as well as
   [dnssec-chain-extension] MUST appear in subsequent TLS handshakes to
   the same TLS hostname and port.  If this TLS extention or
   [dnssec-chain-extension] is missing from the TLS handshake within
   this observed pinning time, the TLS client MUST assume it is under
   attack and abort the TLS connection.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-asmithee-tls-dnssec-downprot/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-asmithee-tls-dnssec-downprot-00
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-asmithee-tls-dnssec-downprot-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/