Subject: I-D Action: draft-chen-ati-adaptive-ipv4-address-space-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2018 12:08:04 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Adaptive IPv4 Address Space
        Authors         : Abraham Y. Chen
                          Ramamurthy R. Ati
                          Abhay Karandikar
	Filename        : draft-chen-ati-adaptive-ipv4-address-space-03.txt
	Pages           : 43
	Date            : 2018-06-10

Abstract:
   This document describes a solution to the Internet address depletion
   issue through the use of an existing Option mechanism that is part of
   the original IPv4 protocol. This proposal, named EzIP (phonetic for
   Easy IPv4), outlines the IPv4 public address pool expansion and the
   Internet system architecture enhancement considerations. The EzIP may
   expand an IPv4 address by a factor of 256M without affecting the
   existing IPv4 based Internet, nor the current private networks. The
   EzIP is in full conformance with the IPv4 protocol, and supports not
   only both direct and private network connectivities, but also their
   interoperability. The EzIP deployment may coexist with the current
   Internet traffic and the IoT (Internet of Things) operations without
   perturbing their setups, while offering end-users the freedom to
   choose either. If the IPv4 public pool allocations were allowed to be
   reorganized, the assignable pool could be multiplied by 512M times or
   even more. The EzIP may be implemented as a software / firmware
   enhancement to the Internet edge routers or private network routing
   gateways wherever needed, or simply installed as an inline adjunct
   hardware module between the two, enabling a seamless introduction.
   The 256M case detailed herein establishes a complete sphere of
   routers for interfacing between the Internet core fabic and the end
   user premises. Incorporating the caching proxy technology in the
   gateway, a fairly large geographical area may enjoy an EzIP based
   sub-Internet operating from as few as one ordinary IPv4 public
   address. This will immediately resolve the IPv4 address shortage
   anywhere, while transparent to the current Internet operation. Under
   the Dual-Stack environment, these proposed interim facilities will
   relieve the IPv4 address shortage issue, while affording the IPv6
   more time to orderly reach the maturity and the availability levels
   required for delivering a long-term general service.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-chen-ati-adaptive-ipv4-address-space/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-chen-ati-adaptive-ipv4-address-space-03
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-chen-ati-adaptive-ipv4-address-space-03

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-chen-ati-adaptive-ipv4-address-space-03

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/