Subject: I-D Action: draft-palet-v6ops-rfc6177-bis-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2018 02:08:35 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : IPv6 Address Assignment to End-Sites
        Authors         : Rosalea G Roberts
                          Jordi Palet Martinez
	Filename        : draft-palet-v6ops-rfc6177-bis-00.txt
	Pages           : 10
	Date            : 2018-06-28

Abstract:
   The Regional Internet Registries (RIRs) policies, have different
   views regarding the recommendation of the prefix to be assigned to
   end-sites.  However, all them allow up to a /48 without further
   justification and clearly state that the exact choice of how much
   address space should be assigned to end-sites is a decision of each
   operator.  In fact, the operational community has recently developed
   a document with also covers this topic "Best Current Operational
   Practice for Operators: IPv6 prefix assignment for end-users -
   persistent vs non-persistent, and what size to choose".

   This document reviews the architectural and operational
   considerations of end-site assignments, and reiterates that
   assignment policy and guidelines belong to the RIR community.  This
   revision is being made to emphasize that IPv6 protocol evolution
   requires an ever increasing availability of subnets at the end-site
   and so, policy should reflect that assignment of a single subnet is
   no longer appropriate unless the recipient explicitly agrees to the
   limitations implied by such an assignment.

   This document obsoletes RFC6177 (IPv6 Address Assignment to End
   Sites).

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-palet-v6ops-rfc6177-bis/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-palet-v6ops-rfc6177-bis-00
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-palet-v6ops-rfc6177-bis-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/