Subject: I-D Action: draft-leddy-6man-truncate-04.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2018 11:26:44 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : IPv6 Packet Truncation
        Authors         : John Leddy
                          Ron Bonica
	Filename        : draft-leddy-6man-truncate-04.txt
	Pages           : 15
	Date            : 2018-06-29

Abstract:
   This document defines IPv6 packet truncation procedures.  When an
   IPv6 source node originates a packet, it can mark the packet as being
   eligible for truncation and forward it towards its destination.  If
   an intermediate node cannot forward the packet because of an MTU
   issue, it truncates the packet, marks it as being truncated, and,
   again, forwards it towards its destination.  When the destination
   node receives the packet, it detects that it has been truncated and
   sends an ICMP message to the source node.  The ICMP message contains
   MTU information that the source node uses to update its Path MTU
   estimate.

   The above-mentioned procedures enhance Path MTU Discovery (PMTUD) by
   eliminating its reliance on the network's ability to deliver ICMP
   messages from an intermediate node to the source node.  However, the
   above-mentioned procedures require the network to deliver ICMP
   messages from the destination node to the source node.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-leddy-6man-truncate/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-leddy-6man-truncate-04
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-leddy-6man-truncate-04

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-leddy-6man-truncate-04

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/