Subject: I-D Action: draft-rosen-bess-secure-l3vpn-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2018 07:37:26 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Augmenting RFC 4364 Technology to Provide Secure Layer L3VPNs over Public Infrastructure
        Authors         : Eric C. Rosen
                          Ron Bonica
	Filename        : draft-rosen-bess-secure-l3vpn-01.txt
	Pages           : 21
	Date            : 2018-06-20

Abstract:
   The Layer 3 Virtual Private Network (VPN) technology described in RFC
   4364 is focused on the scenario in which a network Service Provider
   (SP) maintains a secure backbone network and offers VPN service over
   that network to its customers.  Customers access the SP's network by
   attaching "Customer Edge" (CE) routers to "Provider Edge" (PE)
   routers, which exchange cleartext IP packets.  PE routers generally
   serve multiple customers, and prevent unauthorized communication
   among customers.  Customer data sent across the backbone (from one PE
   to another) is encapsulated in MPLS, using an MPLS label to associate
   a given packet with a given customer.  The labeled packets are then
   sent across the backbone network in the clear, using MPLS transport.
   However, many customers want a VPN service that is secure enough to
   run over the public Internet, and which does not require them to send
   cleartext IP packets to a service provider.  Often they want to
   connect directly to edge nodes of the public Internet, which does not
   provide MPLS support.  Each customer may itself have multiple tenants
   who are not allowed to intercommunicate with each other freely.  In
   this case, the customer many need to provide a VPN service for the
   tenants.  This document describes a way in which this can be achieved
   using the technology of RFC 4364.  The functionality assigned therein
   to a PE router can be placed instead in Customer Premises Equipment.
   This functionality can be augmented by transmitting MPLS packets
   through IPsec Security Associations.  The BGP control plane sessions
   can also be protected by IPsec.  This allows a customer to use RFC
   4364 technology to provide VPN service to its internal departments,
   while sending only IPsec-protected packets to the Internet or other
   backbone network, and eliminating the need for MPLS transport in the
   backbone.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-rosen-bess-secure-l3vpn/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-rosen-bess-secure-l3vpn-01
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-rosen-bess-secure-l3vpn-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-rosen-bess-secure-l3vpn-01

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/