Subject: I-D Action: draft-leddy-6man-truncate-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2018 12:23:51 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Destination Originates Internet Control Message Protocol (ICMP) Packet Too Big (PTB) Messages
        Authors         : John Leddy
                          Ron Bonica
	Filename        : draft-leddy-6man-truncate-02.txt
	Pages           : 14
	Date            : 2018-06-07

Abstract:
   This document defines procedures that enhance Path MTU Discovery
   (PMTUD), so that it no longer relies on the network's ability to
   deliver an ICMP Packet Too Big (PTB) message from a downstream router
   to an IPv6 source node.  According to these procedures, selected
   packets carry a new IPv6 Destination option.  When a downstream
   router cannot forward one of these packets because of MTU issues, it
   truncates the packet, marks it to indicate that it has been
   truncated, and forwards it towards the destination node.

   When the destination node receives a packet that has been truncated,
   it sends an ICMP PTB message to the source node.  The source node
   uses MTU information contained by the ICMP PTB message to update its
   PMTU estimate.

   The destination node also examines the new Destination option to
   determine whether it should discard the truncated packet or deliver
   it to an upper-layer protocol.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-leddy-6man-truncate/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-leddy-6man-truncate-02
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-leddy-6man-truncate-02

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-leddy-6man-truncate-02

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/