Subject: I-D Action: draft-huitema-dnssd-privacyscaling-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2018 12:12:02 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : DNS-SD Privacy Scaling Tradeoffs
        Author          : Christian Huitema
	Filename        : draft-huitema-dnssd-privacyscaling-01.txt
	Pages           : 13
	Date            : 2018-06-30

Abstract:
   DNS-SD (DNS Service Discovery) normally discloses information about
   both the devices offering services and the devices requesting
   services.  This information includes host names, network parameters,
   and possibly a further description of the corresponding service
   instance.  Especially when mobile devices engage in DNS Service
   Discovery over Multicast DNS at a public hotspot, a serious privacy
   problem arises.

   The draft currently progressing in the DNS-SD Working Group assumes
   peer-to-peer pairing between the service to be discovered and each of
   its clients.  This has good security properties, but creates scaling
   issues, because each server needs to publish as many announcements as
   it has paired clients.  This leads to large number of operations when
   servers are paired with many clients.

   Different designs are possible.  For example, if there was only one
   server "discovery key" known by each authorized client, each server
   would only have to announce a single record, and clients would only
   have to process one response for each server that is present on the
   network.  Yet, these designs will present different privacy profiles,
   and pose different management challenges.  This draft analyses the
   tradeoffs between privacy and scaling in a set of different designs,
   using either shared secrets or public keys.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-huitema-dnssd-privacyscaling/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-huitema-dnssd-privacyscaling-01
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-huitema-dnssd-privacyscaling-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-huitema-dnssd-privacyscaling-01

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/