Subject: I-D Action: draft-khare-idr-bgp-flowspec-payload-match-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 21 Jun 2018 13:31:38 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : BGP FlowSpec Payload Matching
        Authors         : Anurag Khare
                          John Scudder
                          Luay Jalil
	Filename        : draft-khare-idr-bgp-flowspec-payload-match-01.txt
	Pages           : 9
	Date            : 2018-06-21

Abstract:
   The rise in frequency, volume, and pernicious effects of DDoS attacks
   has elevated them from fare for the specialist to generalist press.
   Numerous reports detail the taxonomy of DDoS types, the varying
   motivations of their attackers, as well as the resulting business and
   reputation loss of their targets.

   BGP FlowSpec (RFC 5575, "Dissemination of Flow Specification Rules")
   can be used to rapidly disseminate filters that thwart attacks, being
   particularly effective against the volumetric type.  Operators can
   use existing FlowSpec components to match on pre-defined packet
   header fields.  However recent enhancements to forwarding plane
   filter implementations allow matches at arbitary locations within the
   packet header and, to some extent, the payload.  This capability can
   be used to detect highly amplified attacks, whose attack signature
   remains relatively constant.

   We define a new FlowSpec component, "Flexible Match Conditions", with
   similar matching semantics to those of existing components.  This
   component will allow the operator to define bounded match conditions
   using offsets and bitmasks.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-khare-idr-bgp-flowspec-payload-match/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-khare-idr-bgp-flowspec-payload-match-01
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-khare-idr-bgp-flowspec-payload-match-01

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-khare-idr-bgp-flowspec-payload-match-01

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/