Subject: I-D Action: draft-annee-dprive-oblivious-dns-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2018 14:29:04 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Oblivious DNS - Strong Privacy for DNS Queries
        Authors         : Annie Edmundson
                          Paul Schmitt
                          Nick Feamster
                          Allison Mankin
	Filename        : draft-annee-dprive-oblivious-dns-00.txt
	Pages           : 11
	Date            : 2018-07-02

Abstract:
   Recognizing the privacy vulnerabilities associated with DNS queries,
   a number of standards have been developed and services deployed that
   that encrypt a user's DNS queries to the recursive resolver and thus
   obscure them from some network observers and from the user's Internet
   service provider.  However, these systems merely transfer trust to a
   third party.  We argue that no single party should be able to
   associate DNS queries with a client IP address that issues those
   queries.  To this end, this document specifies Oblivious DNS (ODNS),
   which introduces an additional layer of obfuscation between clients
   and their queries.  To accomplish this, ODNS uses its own
   authoritative namespace; the authoritative servers for the ODNS
   namespace act as recursive resolvers for the DNS queries that they
   receive, but they never see the IP addresses for the clients that
   initiated these queries.  The ODNS experimental protocol is
   compatible with existing DNS infrastructure.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-annee-dprive-oblivious-dns/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-annee-dprive-oblivious-dns-00
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-annee-dprive-oblivious-dns-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/