Subject: I-D Action: draft-ietf-tsvwg-ecn-l4s-id-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2018 15:57:43 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Transport Area Working Group WG of the IETF.

        Title           : Identifying Modified Explicit Congestion Notification (ECN) Semantics for Ultra-Low Queuing Delay (L4S)
        Authors         : Koen De Schepper
                          Bob Briscoe
	Filename        : draft-ietf-tsvwg-ecn-l4s-id-03.txt
	Pages           : 34
	Date            : 2018-07-02

Abstract:
   This specification defines the identifier to be used on IP packets
   for a new network service called low latency, low loss and scalable
   throughput (L4S).  It is similar to the original (or 'Classic')
   Explicit Congestion Notification (ECN).  'Classic' ECN marking was
   required to be equivalent to a drop, both when applied in the network
   and when responded to by a transport.  Unlike 'Classic' ECN marking,
   for packets carrying the L4S identifier, the network applies marking
   more immediately and more aggressively than drop, and the transport
   response to each mark is reduced and smoothed relative to that for
   drop.  The two changes counterbalance each other so that the
   throughput of an L4S flow will be roughly the same as a 'Classic'
   flow under the same conditions.  However, the much more frequent
   control signals and the finer responses to them result in ultra-low
   queuing delay without compromising link utilization, even during high
   load.  Examples of new active queue management (AQM) marking
   algorithms and examples of new transports (whether TCP-like or real-
   time) are specified separately.  The new L4S identifier is the key
   piece that enables them to interwork and distinguishes them from
   'Classic' traffic.  It gives an incremental migration path so that
   existing 'Classic' TCP traffic will be no worse off, but it can be
   prevented from degrading the ultra-low delay and loss of the new
   scalable transports.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-tsvwg-ecn-l4s-id/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-tsvwg-ecn-l4s-id-03
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-tsvwg-ecn-l4s-id-03

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-tsvwg-ecn-l4s-id-03

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/