Subject: I-D Action: draft-ms-emu-eaptlscert-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2018 13:10:21 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Handling Large Certificates and Long Certificate Chains in EAP-TLS
        Authors         : Mohit Sethi
                          John Mattsson
	Filename        : draft-ms-emu-eaptlscert-00.txt
	Pages           : 7
	Date            : 2018-07-16

Abstract:
   Extensible Authentication Protocol (EAP) provides support for
   multiple authentication methods.  EAP-Transport Layer Security (EAP-
   TLS) provides means for key derivation and strong mutual
   authentication with certificates.  However, certificates can often be
   relatively large in size.  The certificate chain to the root-of-trust
   can also be long when multiple intermediate Certification Authorities
   (CAs) are involved.  This implies that EAP-TLS authentication needs
   to be fragmented into many smaller packets for transportation over
   the lower-layer.  Such fragmentation can not only negatively affect
   the latency, but also results in implementation challenges.  For
   example, many authenticator (access point) implementations will drop
   an EAP session if it hasn't finished after 40-50 packets.  This can
   result in failed authentication even when the two communicating
   parties have the correct credentials for mutual authentication.
   Moreover, there are no mechanisms available to easily recover from
   such situations.  This memo looks at the problem in detail and
   discusses the solutions available to overcome these deployment
   challenges.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ms-emu-eaptlscert/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ms-emu-eaptlscert-00
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ms-emu-eaptlscert-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/