Subject: I-D Action: draft-garciamorchon-t2trg-automated-iot-security-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 02 Jul 2018 08:19:09 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Automated IoT Security
        Authors         : Oscar Garcia-Morchon
                          Thorsten Dahm
	Filename        : draft-garciamorchon-t2trg-automated-iot-security-00.txt
	Pages           : 35
	Date            : 2018-07-02

Abstract:
   The Internet of Things (IoT) concept refers to the usage of standard
   Internet protocols to allow for human-to-thing and thing-to-thing
   communication.  The security needs are well-recognized and and many
   standardization steps for providing security have been taken, for
   example, the specification of Constrained Application Protocol (CoAP)
   over Datagram Transport Layer Security (DTLS).  However, the design
   space of IoT applications and systems is complex and exposed to
   multiple types of threats.  In particular, threats keep evolving at a
   fast pace while many IoT systems are rarely updated and still remain
   operational for decades.

   This document has three main parts: First, it summarizes exemplary
   security threats and suitable mitigation strategies to protect
   against multiple types of threats.  Second, it describes a
   comprehensive agile security framework to integrate existing security
   processes such as risk asssement or vulnerability assessment in the
   lifecycle of a smart object in an IoT application.  Thus, instead of
   having a security configuration that is fixed at manufacturing time,
   our approach allows us to apply a - security profile - on the device
   tailored for a specific environment at any point of time.  Third, we
   discuss the concept of security profiles and give examples of them.

   The core of our agile security approach relies on two protocols: the
   Protocol for Automatic Security Configuration (PASC) and the Protocol
   for Automatic Vulnerability Assessment (PAVA).  PACS is executed
   during the onboarding phase of a smart object in an IoT system and is
   in charge of automatically performing a risk assessment and assigning
   a security profile to defeat the identified risks.  The assigned
   security profile fits the specific environment and threat model of
   the application in which the device has been deployed.  PAVA is
   executed during the operation of the IoT object and ensures that
   vulnerabilities in the smart object and IoT system are discovered in
   a proactive way.  These two protocols can benefit users, manufactures
   and operators by automating IoT security.  We describe a few
   examplary security profiles that could be applicable in different
   application areas and automatically configured by means of PASC and
   PAVA.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-garciamorchon-t2trg-automated-iot-security/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-garciamorchon-t2trg-automated-iot-security-00
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-garciamorchon-t2trg-automated-iot-security-00

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/