Subject: I-D Action: draft-klensin-std-numbers-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 01 Jul 2018 12:33:33 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : STD Numbers and the IETF Standards Track
        Author          : John C Klensin
	Filename        : draft-klensin-std-numbers-02.txt
	Pages           : 6
	Date            : 2018-07-01

Abstract:
   STD numbers are assigned to IETF Standards Track specifications in
   order to provide a stable reference even when RFCs are revised and
   the underlying documents change.  However, the numbers are only
   assigned when the specifications reach Full Standard maturity level,
   significantly reducing their utility in the contemporary world in
   which few specifications advance beyond the first standardization
   maturity level.  For that reason, one recent proposal suggested
   eliminating the numbers entirely.  This document argues that stable
   references for Standards Track specifications are actually useful and
   that the solution is not to abolish the numbers but to change the
   point at which they are assigned.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-klensin-std-numbers/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-klensin-std-numbers-02
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-klensin-std-numbers-02

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-klensin-std-numbers-02

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/