Subject: I-D Action: draft-nslag-mpls-deprecate-md5-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 03 Sep 2018 01:46:34 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : Deprecating MD5 for LDP
        Authors         : Loa Andersson
                          Stewart Bryant
                          Andrew G. Malis
                          Nicolai Leymann
                          George Swallow
	Filename        : draft-nslag-mpls-deprecate-md5-03.txt
	Pages           : 7
	Date            : 2018-09-03

Abstract:
   When the MPLS Label Distribution Protocol (LDP) was specified circa
   1999, there were very strong requirements that LDP should use a
   cryptographic hash function to sign LDP protocol messages.  MD5 was
   widely used at that time, and was the obvious choices.

   However, even when this decision was being taken there were concerns
   as to whether MD5 was a strong enough signing option.  This
   discussion was briefly reflected in section 5.1 of RFC 5036 [RFC5036]
   (and also in RFC 3036 [RFC3036]).

   Over time it has been shown that MD5 can be compromised.  Thus, there
   is a concern shared in the security community and the working groups
   responsible for the development of the LDP protocol that LDP is no
   longer adequately secured.

   This document deprecates MD5 as the signing method for LDP messages.
   The document also selects a future method to secure LDP messages -
   the choice is TCP-AO.  In addition, we specify that the TBD
   cryptographic mechanism is to be the default TCP-AO security method.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-nslag-mpls-deprecate-md5/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-nslag-mpls-deprecate-md5-03
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-nslag-mpls-deprecate-md5-03

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-nslag-mpls-deprecate-md5-03

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/